The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#208077 - 09/30/10 02:00 PM New menu ideas...?
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Any of you gals have new, quick ideas for dinner? I mean,
beef, chicken, pork chops, turkey, and their variations get
old. WB likes a limited amount of meat and veggies; that makes it difficult to come up something new. What say U?

#208079 - 09/30/10 06:49 PM Re: New menu ideas...? [Re: jabber]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I'm very fortunate to have a hubby who a) loves to cook, and b) loves it when I experiment with casseroles. We eat a good variety of foods for supper. Within the week, we'll normally have chicken, fish, beef with the potatoes or rice and veggies. Then we'll alternate with other interesting stuff, like tacos, homemade pizza (hubby loves my pizza), or casseroles. I made a salmon casserole last night chock full of fresh veggies (carrots, celery, onion, red pepper, spinach, corn and mushrooms) and pasta. It's good for 2-3 meals, and I often will do something different with it the 2nd night - like tonight I'll top it with grated cheese and wheat germ (gives a lovely healthy crunch with the cheese!!)

We also keep on hand a few "fast supper" items in the freezer...like frozen chicken pies, cabbage rolls and lasagnas - to pop in the oven or microwave when we don't feel like cooking. Quite often when we cook one supper, we'll make enough for two, then freeze the other portions for another night next week.

We also often make good use of our slow-cooker. Spaghetti sauces, beef stews, chili, honey-garlic chicken wings...stuff like that. We make enough to share with our elderly neighbours and to put a container away in the freezer for another night.

One thing we don't eat anymore is pork. Neither of us digests it well, and it makes hubby snore too much.

Edited by Eagle Heart (09/30/10 06:50 PM)

(Maya Angelou)

#208081 - 09/30/10 08:07 PM Re: New menu ideas...? [Re: Eagle Heart]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Healthy, different and not expensive. Couscous is cheaper from bulk bins, not in a box.
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/couscous_with_mushrooms_sun_dried_tomatoes.html

Quote:
One thing we don't eat anymore is pork. Neither of us digests it well, and it makes hubby snore too much.

That's abit funny, Eagle.
Your hubby is like my partner: he likes to cook as well. He makes up recipes in his head. Usually a creation had a base recipe, but he's changed it in multiple ways.

Jabber, I'm making stir-fried mussels with tomatoes, red pepper slices, onions, garlic, ginger root, fresh basil and fresh coriander. With fine pasta on side. I just sort of make up recipes, alot of the time.

I've been sneaking in slices of baked sliced red beets..which are cold. they taste good too. Roasted red beets are no-brainer. Just peel beets, prick them with forks, wrap them in foil loosely and bake in oven at 420 degrees F for 1 hr.

You can eat the beet greens too. Sautee chopped with onions, garlic and ginger. Small jot of soy sauce while cooking.

#208089 - 10/01/10 05:59 AM Re: New menu ideas...? [Re: orchid]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Orchid, thanks for the ideas, I made my first oven roasted veggies in years last night. Made a delicious pot roast, but no room in the crock pot for the veggies, so I roasted them...

I still made gravy because what is a pot roast without gravy, right?

But the veggies were the hit of the meal. Everyone commented on them!

I love roasted beets. Have only done those once, but you have reminded me and I will seek out some more...
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#208091 - 10/01/10 01:22 PM Re: New menu ideas...? [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Thank you everyone. Your suggestions are wonderful! Gonna try
'em!!!

#208099 - 10/02/10 02:06 PM Re: New menu ideas...? [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

I already do some of this stuff, making enough potatoes to
get a couple meals from 'em. When I make spaghetti sauce, I make
a large batch and have several different types of pasta, on
various nights. I get about three meals from meatloaf, etc.
I like beets, green beans, beef liver, and sauerkraut; hubby does not like 'em. So I order those things at restaurants. WB also eats very few veggies. I cook for his tastes. Groovy likes
mussels; I never tried 'em. But all your suggestions are interesting!

#208104 - 10/02/10 03:51 PM Re: New menu ideas...? [Re: jabber]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Hubby and I each have things that we really like that the other doesn't. We get around that by having "solo" dinners once in awhile, especially if we only have enough leftovers for one serving. Whichever one of us most wants the leftovers gets them, and the other gets to cook up whatever he/she wants. It works for us. I suppose I got the idea from my parents. Every so often, Mom would make spaghetti for us kids and Dad would cook up liver for himself. I always thought it was neat that they would do that for each other, allow the other to have their special meal without having to sacrifice their own likes and tastebuds. It works really well for us now too.

I don't mind in the least cooking up something for myself while he has something else, especially when it comes to veggies.

(Maya Angelou)

#208109 - 10/02/10 11:24 PM Re: New menu ideas...? [Re: Eagle Heart]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
We do the same thing with restaurants, jabber.

Steve loves liver and I will never cook it. So he often orders it in restaurants. Similarly, I love fish and he will never eat it.

Restaurants are a perfect solution for this sort of incompatibility.

Edited by Anne Holmes (10/02/10 11:25 PM)
Edit Reason: typo
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#208125 - 10/03/10 09:36 AM Re: New menu ideas...? [Re: Anne Holmes]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I love liver and all kinds of fish. But my ex hated fish, liver and most green foods. I finally stopped cooking for him before we got divorced and he ate out alone.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#208133 - 10/03/10 01:09 PM Re: New menu ideas...? [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Chatty,
You could make a funny out that statement: I finally stopped
cooking for him because we got divorced. I read the [before] as
[because]. Once in a while I'll scan the posts and incorrectly read what's posted.

Back to food, lately, I found I like [cod] fish quite well.
I used to buy Orange Roughy but the major foodstore I shopped at here, stopped carrying it. I guess it's too expensive to handle.
Then I switched to cod. I like fish that is nice and white, and doesn't taste fishy! OR is like that. And I just discovered COD is like that too!

Edited by jabber (10/04/10 12:18 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved