The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 170 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#204556 - 06/11/10 05:56 PM Facebook newbie
Mountain Ash Offline

This is the only place I worked out where to ask this.
Yesterday I joined Facebook..this was mainly to speak to a friend who I knew to be on Facebook through a google search..we had both changed emails..and I am delighted to say we have re established a link..
so what advice to a new user of this facility ..two other frends have contacted me and we have said hi etc..what are the pitfalls?
I seem to remember a discussion recently and did not really clock it at the time not being a user.any offers of advice..
I am happy using emails..most of my contact is in this format..but Facebook..who can read what and who cannot..

#204557 - 06/11/10 06:12 PM Re: Facebook newbie [Re: Mountain Ash]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Be sure to set up your privacy controls so your profile is visible to only those you want to see it. I have all my stuff set to Friends Only. I can't get into FB from work so can't give you specifics right now. They supposedly have made it easier, but I used an outside software program to check my settings, and that is on my computer at home, too.

I haven't had any issues with FB at all - no spam, no viruses, etc., but I understand some have had problems.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#204558 - 06/11/10 07:12 PM Re: Facebook newbie [Re: yonuh]
Mountain Ash Offline

In my case it was a wondeful way to re connect to some one who had set up another email address almost at the same timme as I had to due to a virus.she also had a joint email with a former partner..but slowly I shall learn..didn't want to wait till Christmas.
I can read one friends messages ..we who are her friends commented on her latest art work,,so is it best to be brief..discreet and realise other friends of my friend will read what I say..
my family will be here at the weekend so they may look see..keep Mother right!!
thanks for replying.

#204559 - 06/11/10 07:33 PM Re: Facebook newbie [Re: Mountain Ash]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I believe if you do what Anno said and set everything to "friends only" you'll be fine. People may send you Friends request, (called friending on FB) and you have the option to accept or ignore.

If they say you have mutual friends, you might want to check it out. If they don't and you don't recognize them, I would ignore.

It seems that most of the viruses on FB have been from those things like Farmville. I wouldn't touch those with a ten-foot pole.

Email me if you have questions. I would be happy to help!

#204562 - 06/11/10 07:48 PM Re: Facebook newbie [Re: jawjaw]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
There are scams on FB so yes, you should be careful. If you do play any of the games, be careful, because there are fake pages. I play a couple of the games and haven't had any issues; and I have managed to beat a certain person on here at Bejeweled Blitz a time or two.

I have reconnected with people on FB; and I have met some interesting people who are friends of friends. I always check that the friend of a friend is really reputable before I accept. Some of the game players will accept friend requests from anyone just to boost their levels and/or score, so be aware of that.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#204566 - 06/11/10 08:40 PM Re: Facebook newbie [Re: yonuh]
Mountain Ash Offline

Some of my friends friends were shown to me also but I dont want other peoples friends...

on my geneaolgy site I have befriended people who have common ancestors ..maybe called half cousins and those that are overseas are delighted to have someone near their ancestors known birthplace..I can then help at my end of the process.

farmville...heard about it but yesterdays adventure for me was helping my neighbour find a runaway rooster..she had a delivery of hens and a husband... Mr rooster..he flew off...the whole happening was comic cuts..she knows nothing about hens..me a little more.I kept telling her "Think hen think rooster dont think fox"
so I have my own farmville next door.

The rooster came back today..on his own without us

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved