The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 157 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#200406 - 03/03/10 08:16 PM Not a writer-but got published
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Really, I don't consider myself a writer career-wise or even job-wise. But I have been published in different journals and newsletters over past few decades. Except for the poetry I wrote as a teen (and stopped thereafter because I got bored/sidetracked by university studies and full-time jobs), the stuff I have had published has not been fiction. It's related to a) my profession- means writing for a specialized audience b) on cycling matters (for magazine, newsletter and now for company blog

However I just got an article published in a cycling magazine Momentum bike magazine!

http://www.momentumplanet.com/duet-bike-program
It's about the Duet Bike Program for transporting the wheelchair bound by bike.

I believe other programs do exist in the U.S. Any of you live in a city/work in a facility that has such a program?

So far, I consider my writing that I've done in the past, to advance my career (My colleagues/peers do expect experienced professionals to contribute back with their expertise. I know employers look for such evidence in resumes.) Second purpose is the writing I've done, is not necessarily the end product as a work of literary value, but more as a communication tool to promote ie. cycling or to get funding for my department or to manage the department (a library) properly, which meant writing business plans, reports or write business, technical manuals (which I took 2 courses) and teaching aids. Well, that's the way how I see it.

So this explains why I never paid attention at all to the writing section in BWS..until now. blush Still I don't plan to write fiction /poetry. My brain isn't there at this stage.

But it is nice to get published in a source which I associate with fun and health.

#200429 - 03/04/10 12:01 AM Re: Not a writer-but got published [Re: orchid]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Congratulations Orchid! And you bet your bippie you are a WRITER and a published writer at that. It doesn't say anywhere I have seen that you are only considered a writer if you write a certain genre. Take it, accept it, and be proud my friend, you are a published writer and thats not an easy thing to attain these days.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#200431 - 03/04/10 12:05 AM Re: Not a writer-but got published [Re: chatty lady]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Way to go, Orchid! Chatty is completely right. smile

#201663 - 03/30/10 10:22 PM Re: Not a writer-but got published [Re: orchid]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
That's wonderful news, Orchid!

I'll finally be able to say a magazine published one of my articles very soon -- and I am quite excited about it, as it will be the first I haven't ghost-written. I expect it will be so fun to see my name in print!!

I my case,I was writing about the personal experience of being diagnosed with sleep apnea...

Once again, hold your head up, published writer, Orchid!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#201675 - 03/31/10 05:24 AM Re: Not a writer-but got published [Re: Anne Holmes]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Congratulations Orchid. It's a very well written article. How wonderful to be able to express your passion in writing. Those are usually the best stories.

#201703 - 03/31/10 06:10 PM Another- Not a writer-but got published [Re: Edelweiss3]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Thx for the good wishes. And Anne, give us the reference when it gets published!
Another article I ripped off quickly, was published by our tourism board, on touring our city community gardens by cycling or walking smile

Touring Vancouver's Community Gardens by...

Actually there are some creative gardens which I will further elaborate in my blog later on...

I must admit, I'm careful how much effort and to which source I will write for free. Otherwise, other people will expect I do all writing for free for them.

About 2 weeks ago, I did find out I had a book review published in a professional journal (meant for librarians and lawyers) on insurance law and risk management. It will be republished in the a lawyers bar association newsletter. smile I've had a few other articles published in professional journals/newsletters over the past 15 years. A real hodge podge of topics, but highly specialized.

For the journals and newsletters related to my profession, it is usually for free which as you know to advance one's career within one's profession and to "give back" as a more experienced practitioner. Alot of librarians have created their own blogs which are specifically focused on their perspectives on topics related to world of information management and knowledge transfer.

I just haven't done that --yet. crazy I'm having more fun writing on non-work topics that have nothing to do with my formal training. Part of my problem, is selecting a niche area of expertise that I can write often in a professional/work-focused blog for the library profession. It would require considerable time for me to monitor and read consistently new developments and trends. Long story...behind this.

One would think by now, after 1/4 century, I've figured what I know the most within my own profession. But no, not the zigzag journey I've taken in my paid jobs. Dealing with my resume has been a serious challenge of summarizing. I've had an employment counsellor provide useful feedback.

Still needs whittling down and constant gardening to make one's accomplishments look cohesive. laugh

#201714 - 03/31/10 10:31 PM Re: Another- Not a writer-but got published [Re: orchid]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Anne, having a severe case of sleep apnea ended me up in the hospital last August when my CPAP machine broke and I couldn't get it replaced. (I owned mine then!) After 3 weeks without it and no good rest I went to the hospital with pneumonia directly related to having no CPAP machine. Got a new one and have never felt better since. I bought a finger monitor I can slip on anytime I want to, which tells me the oxygen level in my blood. The more weight I lose the less I need the CPAP at night when sleeping.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#201721 - 04/01/10 01:11 AM Re: Another- Not a writer-but got published [Re: chatty lady]
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Great articles orchid....Congratulations on being published...I'm so happy for you!

People may not remember exactly what you said or what you did...but they will always remember how you made them feel

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved