The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 156 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#148541 - 05/13/08 12:22 AM Trivia - come and get it!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Okay you boomer babes....let's see if you can get these. I'll give the answers at the end of the week in case no one gets them.

1. ______ is the longest word typed with only the left hand.

2. ________is the longest word typed with your right hand.

3. No word in the English language rhymes with _____ or _____ or _____ or ______.

4. ______is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt".

5. Our _____ are always the same size from birth, but our _____ and _____ never stop growing.

6. The words _____ and _____ and _____ are the same whether they are read left to right or right to left (palindromes).

7. There are only four words in the English language which end in "dous." They are:
  • a.
  • b.
  • c.
  • d.

8. There are two words in the English language that have all five vowels in order. They are _____ and _____.

9. _____is the longest word that can be made using the letters only on one row of the keyboard.
10. A cat has ____ muscles in each ear. (easy one)

11. A goldfish has a memory span of ______.

12. A "jiffy" is an actual unit of time for _______.

13. A _____ is the only fish that can blink with both eyes.

14. A _____ can sleep for three years. (me too)

15. Almonds are a member of the _____ family.

16. An _____ eye is bigger than its brain. (animal)

17. _____ is the only month in recorded history not to have a full moon.

18. _____ invented the scissors. (bet you all get this one!)

19. _____ are one of the ingredients of dynamite! (food)

20. There are more _____ than people in the world.

#148542 - 05/13/08 08:06 AM Re: Trivia - come and get it! [Re: jawjaw]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
1. As learnt from typing class, "stewardesses" is the longest word typed with only the left hand.

2. I sought to find an alternative to "lollipop" and found that "polyphony" has one letter more than it so it must be the longest word typed with your right hand. But then, there are scientific, medical and hyphenated words. Ack!

3. No word in the English language rhymes with "orange" or ? or ? or ?. Can't think of more.

4. "dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt". As in No. 3, can't think of more.

5. Our ? are always the same size from birth, but our "nails" and "hair" never stop growing.

6. Amongst a few, the words "noon" and "deed" and "tenet" are the same whether they are read left to right or right to left (palindromes).

7. There are only four words in the English language which end in "dous." Just four?
  • a. tremendous
  • b. hazardous
  • c. stupendous
  • d. vanadous

8. There are two words in the English language that have all five vowels in order. "Facetious" and "abstentious" are the most commonly used but I'm sure there are more as is the case with No. 7

9. "typewriter" is the longest word that can be made using the letters only on one row of the keyboard. One of those things from typing class that haunts time and time again.

10. A cat has ____ muscles in each ear. (easy one)

11. It is commonly thought that a goldfish has a memory span of "3 seconds".

12. A "jiffy" is an actual unit of time for "a fraction of a second?.

13. A "shark" is the only fish that can blink with both eyes. The Taylors said it does it before it devours food. Or was it Jacques Costeau? A good time to twack them on the nose and get away.

14. A _____ can sleep for three years. (me too) I'll wait for you to tell me but me thinks I can also sleep for three years. "Rip Van Winkle"?

15. Almonds are a member of the _____ family.

16. An _____ eye is bigger than its brain. (animal)

17. _____ is the only month in recorded history not to have a full moon.

18. Depending on type, "Romans" invented the scissors similar to the sort we use now although it is commonly held that Egyptians pipped them to it. (bet you all get this one!)

19. "Flour" (?) are one of the ingredients of dynamite! (food) But only if dynamite could be synonymous to any other explosive device. The latest thwarted attempt to blow up a train here had that component.

20. There are more "insects" (?) than people in the world. Seems to be, if we'd go by the rate we're all swatting them lately. I'll wait for the given answer though.

Must go for a second cup of coffee now and will await for you to fill in the blanks, JJ.

#148543 - 05/13/08 08:35 AM Re: Trivia - come and get it! [Re: Lola]
    Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
    I'm impressed Lola...

on number 20 I would think "There are more "insects" maybe a zillion fold, than people in the world

Now I'm going for a second cup of coffee...That was so exhausting. heehee.

#148544 - 05/13/08 01:26 PM Re: Trivia - come and get it! [Re: Edelweiss]
    jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
    Now how would anyone know that a goldfish has a memory span of 3 seconds? The other day I saw a TV excerpt of some story about a goldfish someone taught to play basketball, etc. Whatever...?

#148545 - 05/13/08 01:44 PM Re: Trivia - come and get it! [Re: jabber]
    jawjaw Offline
    Da Queen

Oh Jabber I love that thought! How WOULD they know? How funny! I'll give others a chance to answer these but I'll say that for the most part, Lola, you have quite a few correct answers, but not all!

#148546 - 05/13/08 06:44 PM Re: Trivia - come and get it! [Re: jawjaw]
    meredithbead Offline
    The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
    I came up with more palindromes: toot, poop, peep, madam, [Lavender], seres, dewed, civic, redder, radar, denned, level -- ok, I'm stopping for now.

Our EYES stay the same size, but I think nails keep growing, and I think I read EARS but would personally vouch for feet.

Are almonds in the lily family?

The "no full moon" must've been some February, but I couldn't say which.

Poet and essayist

#148547 - 05/14/08 12:58 PM Re: Trivia - come and get it! [Re: meredithbead]
    jabber Offline

jj,
    Glad I made you smile. Anyone else see that tidbit on TV about the tiny goldfish playing, tiny basketball?

Divine Ms. M,
    I like the way you think; cool palindromes, there!

From the pictures jj took in Vegas, you look like a lot of fun, too!

#148548 - 05/14/08 12:59 PM Re: Trivia - come and get it! [Re: jabber]
    jabber Offline

#20 has to be dingbats! LOL...

#148549 - 05/16/08 02:26 PM Re: Trivia - come and get it! [Re: jabber]
    jawjaw Offline
    Da Queen

Okay, who is going to kill me if I confess I lost the answers? Yep, sure did. I'll try to recall them...here goes. Here is another interesting tidbit. Since I did this, I have found that alot of this stuff is HOOEY....Go ahead, get the tar and feathers...I deserve it. But for the record, Da Vinci didn't invent the scissors...I heard he DID, however, discover the Internet....him and Al Gore.

1. Stewardesses is the longest word typed with only the left hand.

2. Lollipop is the longest word typed with your right hand.

3. No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver, or purple.

4. Dreamt is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt".

5. Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.

6. The words "racecar," "kayak" and "level" are the same whether they are read left to right or right to left (palindromes).

7. There are only four words in the English language which end in "dous." They are:

a. tremendous,

b. horrendous,

c. stupendous, and

d. hazardous

8. There are two words in the English language that have all five vowels in order. They are "abstemious" and "facetious."

9. TYPEWRITER is the longest word that can be made using the letters only on one row of the keyboard.

10. A cat has 32 muscles in each ear. (easy one)

11. A goldfish has a memory span of 3 seconds.

12. A "jiffy" is an actual unit of time for seconds (1/60 of a second).

13. A shark is the only fish that can blink with both eyes.

14. A snail can sleep for three years. (me too)

15. Almonds are a member of the peach family.

16. An ostrich eye is bigger than its brain. (animal)

17. February 1865 is the only month in recorded history not to have a full moon.

18. Leonardo Da Vinci invented the scissors. (bet you all get this one!)

19. Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite! (food)

20. There are more CHICKENS than people in the world.

#148550 - 05/16/08 05:55 PM Re: Trivia - come and get it! [Re: jawjaw]
    Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
    Quote:

There are more CHICKENS than people in the world.

Must be the reason why they cross the road.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
    About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
    Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
    9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
    articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved