The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 183 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#75178 - 04/19/06 08:52 AM finish education
MSInvestigator Offline

Loc: Missouri
How many women our age go back and finish their formal education? Well I am thinking seriously of doing just that I need 12 hours for my Ph.d in health care mediation and then I will be able to sit for the boards. It is the last leg and I just feel like I want to do this for me... Am I middle age crazy or what??? My dissertation is almost finished, the research segment anyway and I feel I could complete this.

#75179 - 04/19/06 09:25 AM Re: finish education
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
MsInvestigator,
I have been in a similar decision making process for a while. I can't seem to find even one logical reason to complete my PhD. I have no plan to use it at all. But for some reason I keep thinking about it.

I'm fairly certain I have lost my mind. But then if you found a mind, what would you do with it? --- Finish a PhD??

smile

#75180 - 04/19/06 10:07 PM Re: finish education
MSInvestigator Offline

Loc: Missouri
Smilinize, yes, definately, go for it! A very wise woman just told me the other day, education is the ONLY thing we do strictly for ourselves, when we die it is the only thing we can take with us. I see this a very true.

#75181 - 04/20/06 04:47 AM Re: finish education
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Both of you should do this. Knowledge and credentials can always come in handy even if just for the pure satisfaction of knowing "you did it."

#75182 - 04/21/06 12:40 AM Re: finish education
Debi Offline

Loc: Kansas City Kansas
I agree with Chatty, Smilinize and MsInvestigator do what you feels right. I am also thinking of going back to school. A volunteer opportunaty has sparked a long lost disire I had and let slide under the table, that of teaching others how to read. I know I still dont understand some of the reasons so I want to go back and learn. So not to take the focus off you ladies. Learning is the best and most wonderful thing we can do for not only for us and our well being, but its the chance to say " I did it"

koodos for wanting tofinishing something you started.

Debi

#75183 - 04/21/06 02:01 AM Re: finish education
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I hate to start things I don't finish. But doing a doctoral dissertation is a huge commitment and a ton of work . It can take years. I have a friend who wound up with a nervous breakdown from the stress. Many people fall apart under the constant scrutiny and criticism.

I don't know if I want to give that much of my time and self esteem to it. I'm supposed to talk to the director of a program near here next week. I think I want to do a musical about a story in English literature as my dissertation. A friend of mine got a deal sort of like that.

I'm sure they won't let me, but wouldn't that be fun and I would come out with something besides a pile of paper with a ton of useless research. If I can get the deal I want, I'll probably do it. Otherwise I'll forget it and just hang out on boomer. Either way will be fun.

smile

#75184 - 04/25/06 01:38 AM Re: finish education
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I think it takes a very special person to go back to school in her later years. The commitment must be agressive in order to withstand the stress's faced today. I personally would find it hard to listen to some of the junk spewed out by these young professors. What I need is a heavy duty computer course, building websites, now thats something I need in my everyday life....

#75185 - 04/25/06 04:08 AM Re: finish education
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
quote:
Originally posted by chatty lady:
What I need is a heavy duty computer course, building websites, now thats something I need in my everyday life....

Go for it Chatty! That kind of course would probably be more fun than work for you...building websites brings out the creativity when you know what to do and have the right tools to build with.

I went back to college to become a computer network administrator when I was 41. After working and being on my own for over 20 years, it was both invigorating and difficult. The thing I found most difficult was giving up so much of my evenings and weekends to studying and doing homework! That was brutal. But what a sense of achievement!

Chatty, have you looked into taking a web-building course in your area? I would think that you would find it immensely satisfying and suspect that you would especially excel at the creative aspect of it.

#75186 - 04/25/06 06:20 AM Re: finish education
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Eagle, a couple of my middle-aged friends are back in school. I'd have to say that it is invigorating for them to be around the younger students. It has helped give them a better understanding of their own children. Plus, it's been good fro their self-esteem becasue they are doing so well academically.

#75187 - 04/26/06 07:57 AM Re: finish education
Mountain Ash Offline

I was an adult returner to education. I gained Diplomas in health and social welfare and counselling in my forties then A BSc in the May of my fiftieth year..
I enjoyed all my studies met wonderful fellow students and tutors.However just out of interest I did a short course "Understanding Sprituallity in Health and Care Setting" where the content of the course was geared on what is often missing..The Spritual.
I would recommend returning to studies to anyone who is interested.
Mountain Ash

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved