The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 146 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
#72128 - 01/08/05 08:52 AM Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Ladies, it is my pleasure to introduce Prill Boyle to you. Many of you may already know her because she has frequented our forums in the past.

Prill is the author of an inspiring book that shares the stories of twelve women who made life changes at mid-life. You are sure to feel twinges within as you discover other women have had similar thoughts, doubts, and fears, but chose to throw caution to the wind and took off flying.

My prayer is that you will read Prill's book and discover a passion to follow your dreams at midlife. There's no better time!

Prill, how about telling us a little about yourself as a woman and writer?

#72129 - 01/07/05 10:00 PM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Prill Offline

Loc: Connecticut
Hi everyone!
First, Dotsie, let me thank you for inviting me here. I'm honored--and delighted--to be a part of this forum. I can't wait to chat with everyone!

Let me start by emphasizing that five years ago I couldn't have imagined being a writer, let alone one of Dotsie's featured authors. But I've learned that I have many more gifts and talents than I thought. We all do.

When I got the idea to write DEFYING GRAVITY, I was teaching English at a community college in Connecticut and looking for ways to help my students keep focused on their goals. Then in January of 2000 I came across an article in The New York Times about a 65-year old Kentucky woman named Wini Yunker. She had waited 39 years to join the Peace Corps and was leaving for a two-year assignment in Ukraine. I was so inspired by her persistence and courage that I decided to write a book about women like her--even though I'd never written anything before. The result is DEFYING GRAVITY.

As you might imagine, I have quite a story to tell and a wealth of experience to share about how to create the lives we want. I'm sure many more pieces of my story will come out as I chat with all of you. But, for now, I just want to say hello.

I'm excited to see where the conversation leads. We all have so much to teach one another!

#72130 - 01/07/05 10:31 PM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I'm testifying...not only will you enjoy the book, but you will treasure the friendship that I'm sure Prill is offering here. Remember I told you I like to surround myself with positive people? She's one of um....

I call her CinderPrilla...and the reason is for another time. Let's just say she's inspiring!

You will fall in love with the women in Prill's book. You will probably come away with a favorite story too mainly because it may fit closer to your own circumstances.

I'm telling you girls, you don't want to miss this book!

Hugs Prill---JJ

#72131 - 01/07/05 11:17 PM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Ladies, you can purchase her book through the link on the Book Club button on this site. It's a bargain from Amazon for $13.60! [Big Grin]

#72132 - 01/08/05 12:32 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Queen Me Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
Hi, Prill!

I've already bought my copy. I loved the book! And, like Queen Jaw Jaw, I think you are absolutely grand.

Allyn

For those wanting to read an interview that Prill and I did together (and for more inspiration), go to http://www.averagegirlmagazine.com/corner.htm

I think it will only be up through Sunday of this week.

[ January 07, 2005, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Queen Me ]

#72133 - 01/08/05 12:37 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Prill Offline

Thanks, JJ. And thanks again, Dotsie. Both of you have such generous spirits.

Something I've learned along the way these past few years is that there's room for all of us to be successful--however one defines the term. In other words, we can afford to be generous and help each other. Plus, it feels sooo good.

#72134 - 01/08/05 12:57 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
I loved your book Prill (as I wrote to tell you after I finished it!!) I came away from the experience inspired by all of the women whose stories you told. So many paths taken in so many different directions.

Ladies if you haven't read Prill's book - DO. It's absolutely a memorable experience. [Smile]

#72135 - 01/08/05 02:54 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Queen Me Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
Hi, Prill!

Do you mind sharing more about your experience of finding an agent? or publisher? or both?

#72136 - 01/08/05 03:44 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Prill Offline

First, thank you Allyn and Pam for your kind words.

I'd be happy to discuss finding an agent and publisher. I'd love to hear everyone else's stories as well--both about writing and book publishing and, more generally, about pursuing dreams. I just did a workshop titled "If You're Gonna Make It In This World, You've Gotta Sound Like Who You Are." I think that's the bottom line for all three of these things.

In terms of finding an agent, a wonderful man named Paul Fedorko ( web page ) magically appeared in my life when I was ready. I know that's not helpful to anyone, but it's the truth as I perceive it. Once I had the clarity to be able to articulate in a sentence what my book was about and what I hoped to achieve in writing it, AND I was crystal clear that I needed an agent, one literally came to my doorstep. Yes, I had a personal connection. My agent lives with a friend of mine. But I didn't know that Paul was an agent when I told my friend about the book. And, two other agents gave me their cards the same week. One I met on a train; the other at a party. In all three cases, they must have sensed my clarity and my passion. I'm convinced that these are the keys. This is as true for finding an agent as it is for pursuing a dream.

In terms of getting a publisher, my agent did most of the legwork. He walked me through the process of writing a proposal, pitched the book to 15 publishers, and softened the blow from the 14 demoralizing rejections I received. Ultimately, I'm very happy that I went with Emmis Books, although I was nervous at the start. Because they're a small outfit, I've had a lot of individual attention--great for a first-time author--and publishing the book has been a collaborative effort. The company is owned by Emmis Corporation, a large multi-media company, so that's been helpful as well.

There are pros and cons to small publishing houses versus large ones and self-publishing versus having a professional do it. The bottom line is that each step of the way, it's important to ask yourself, "How does this feel?" It doesn't matter what others have done. What matters is whether the fit is right for you.

#72137 - 01/08/05 04:42 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
This is exactly what I need at this time in my life. It looks like my early buy out is not going to happen. There are changes I want to make in my life, including retiring and writing full time. It depends on the financial aspect of our lives right now, and I am still praying on exactly what I should do.

I could retire now, and get a part time job and be ok, or I could retire now and possibly take care of my 3 grandchildren, or I can work until May, get my vacation earned and then retire. So many if's and what if's and I am really confused right now. Will order the book right away.

Sherri

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 ... 21 22 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved