The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 154 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#194107 - 11/17/09 05:59 PM Staging Home For Sale
MustangGal
Unregistered

OK, I've decided to sale.

I've got to stage my home. Currently cleaning, packing, organizing, etc.

Yet, my living room furniture is clawed to heck by my cats. I've thought of donating it to a charity or just getting rid of the stuff. Thought I'd go to Pier 1 or somewhere and purchase a wicker settee and chair for the living room to stage. I won't spend over $500 to do so.

Will also need to put more stuff in the attic! Gosh, I understand that closets should be clutter free and would hate to put my precious china that's packed in the attic or garage.

I'd love to hear ya'll ideas.

Thanks!

#194111 - 11/17/09 06:25 PM Re: Staging Home For Sale [Re: ]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
How would you feel about renting a storage place for a few months? That way, you could spend 50 dollars or however much it cost per month instead of 500.00??? Just a thought.

You could take all of the unwanted stuff to the storage place...and your home would become instantly uncluttered...stored...secured...and insured (if you get the insurance).

Also, have a yard sale...make money on unwanted items. You'd be surprised. They are a pain the rear end...but $$$

#194115 - 11/17/09 06:33 PM Re: Staging Home For Sale [Re: jawjaw]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Jaw Jaw, thank you. The $500 would be for wicker furniture to replace the clawed living room furniture to stage the sale (thus, the room would look bigger w/out my sagging too large for the room furniture). I plan to get rid of that furniture anyways. I can reuse the wicker later either in the house or on a porch.

I've been selling some stuff on the internet and that which I can't I donate to the Salvation for tax write off.

SO much to do! Yet, it may take a year or two to sale!

#194151 - 11/17/09 10:02 PM Re: Staging Home For Sale [Re: ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I hope your home sells quickly once you've decluttered it. That neighborhood seems to be toxic to you and not safe for you either. Sell anything and everything at your garage sale. Put everything out there and sell it, people buy the darndest stuff. It's better to sell something for .50 or $1.00 than to give or throw it away. Thats money in your pocket and those small amounts add up.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#194164 - 11/18/09 03:50 AM Re: Staging Home For Sale [Re: chatty lady]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
At least enjoy the process, Mustang. Decluttering and discovering a few goodies is a great feeling.

#194271 - 11/20/09 02:34 AM Re: Staging Home For Sale [Re: orchid]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Mustang, can you rent furniture for a while for staging the living room? Is the wicker something you would use 4ever? If not, don't buy it, unless wicker really suits the style of house, ie. country, outdoorsy. Do you use your living room? If not, you can put just a chair, and a round decorators table, you know, the kind with the cloth and glass top. We are selling everything that will not fit into a 1-2 bedroom apartment, even if it means a room will be empty while showing. Good luck.

#194284 - 11/20/09 11:52 AM Re: Staging Home For Sale [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
mustang, what is your timeframe? This is a perfect time for you to purge. Go for it. You are wise to declutter before showing the house. What a projest, but boy will you feel good when you're finished.

#202569 - 04/21/10 05:35 PM Re: Staging Home For Sale [Re: Dotsie]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Well, my home has been on the market since early December 2009.

I fired my 1st realtor (he was rude, dishonest, several lawsuits against him, and used inapropriate language) and got a new one in Feb. 2010. The new realtor is a peach and I've had at least 2 dozen showings the past 8 weeks.

Yet, there are several foreclosures in my neighborhood. Folks are choosing the better deals and I don't blame them. Some foreclosures are going for $55 per sf. Also, many of the foreclosures are sold "as is" or need repairs due to prior renters.

It's rather stressful selling a home not only b/c it must uncluttred and pristine, but b/c other folk come into my home and disrupt. For instance, I keep the guest bed and bath closed to deter pets from using them as playrooms. A realtor forgot to close the door and my cats shredded my bedskirt! It's a Pinecone Hill bedskirt and will cost $145 to replace. I was so pissed. The realtor said that she can't remember everything. I had a sign on the door to please keep closed!

I do know for a fact that I want to sell my home, regardless of the economic environment. I know that it may even take a few years b/c I will not lower my price (I've done the math and know how much I'll accept, thus my current price allows for offers and counters). My realtor agrees with same (unless I want to lower the price and offer a higher realtor commission to a prospective buyer's agent - which is just plain hog wash!).

Had a lady look at my home 3X w/in 10 days and her realtor never returned my realtor's phone calls. My realtor states that the market is wide open now and no one has time to really communicate.

Had another showing last night and another today.

So, my plan is to keep house on the market. When (if!) it does sell, I'll either 1. buy land and build (for later horsekeeping) or 2. patio home with little yard work and more free time to ride.

Yet, I'd like new living room furniture and TV. Should I buy now or wait until home sells? And just get by with what I have.

Also, I'd like new flooring - yet I can get by on the existing flooring. I self clean my carpets 5 to 6X a year and its in rather good shape given the human and pet traffic.

#202750 - 04/27/10 05:55 PM Re: Staging Home For Sale [Re: ]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Hopefully Edelweiss, the realtor will advise.

My tendency if I was a seller in a difficult market with foreclosures and have already tried to place home on market for a few months, is to temporarily withdraw home from market. Return later, when market pricing goes back up.

To have a home long on the market, might make people wonder why it's on the market for a very long time (if you are looking for another year or so listing on the market).

It is a calculated risk but in a market of foreclosure and without dropping price down to the properties that are forclosed, I would withdraw ..if I already had a steady job to maintain the home for time being.

#202755 - 04/27/10 07:42 PM Re: Staging Home For Sale [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
My experience is; if you don't sell a home within the first 6 months,...you won't sell it the second 6 months either. In Germany they say “every pot has a lid." In other words, you can always find a buyer...BUT the price has to be right. If your house is more expensive than equivalent homes in your area, you just won't sell it ...ever.

It is a good sign that you are having more house showings. Often it’s just a question of statistics. My average is usually 5 – 10 house showings before I sell.

I don’t believe in investing a lot in a home in order to sell it. I think it’s better to sell at a lower price. But that’s how most sellers do it in Germany. I don’t think it runs that way in the States. Am I right?

Tell your agent you want to know what the customers are saying. If they all say, too expensive, it may mean you are way out of your league. If nothing goes over a realtor, I suggest trying to sell on your own. Those realtor fees DO make a difference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved