The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 137 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#71899 - 06/03/06 05:59 PM extra cash
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I posted about a friend offering writing classes to the young kids in our neighborhood this summer. I was thinking of other ways women who work form home could make money.

Why not offer sewing, cooking, or gardening classes? These are all dying arts that should be taught. ANyone up for that?

All you have to do is create a flyer and get it around the nieighborhood or local paper.

#71900 - 06/03/06 11:22 PM Re: extra cash
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
I know you will all think I am crazy. I love to iron and I know that there are people that hate it. It crossed my mind several times to offer this service. Only I have no clue what to charge people. But of course, this was before I started working outside the home again.

I had a friend when I lived in Germany that just did odd jobs here and there. She was my daughter's babysitter, I think she cleaned for a woman that worked with her husband. I can't remember anything else, but she just did odd jobs and made money with it.

I can't wait to hear other ideas. Thanks for starting this Dotsie.

Cheers,
Cathi

[ June 03, 2006, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Optimumsteps ]

#71901 - 06/03/06 11:44 PM Re: extra cash
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Oh Cathi, I wish you lived near me!! I hate to iron. I try to buy only things that look good right out of the dryer, but of course other garments sneak into this house that need ironing.

It was piling up, so I put on a movie one night last week and watched it while I ironed. I have no idea what you could charge...

#71902 - 06/04/06 03:30 AM Re: extra cash
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Cathi, pretend to be a customer and call the local cleaners that do laundry and ask what they charge to iron clothes, with or without starch. Then you can base your prices on what is being charged locally....charge less and get more business. Put up, cheap to make flyers in the different laundromats and supermarkets and/or (with their permission) barber shops where the men go. Oh and even daycare places for mom's who have no time or energy to iron....Good luck!

#71903 - 06/05/06 04:26 AM Re: extra cash
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Cathi, I thought of you this morning while ironing my daughter's graduation gown. I don't mind doing it but it is so time consuming. I rarely iron these days. Thankfully, my husband takes his work clothes to the cleaners whicih is getting more expensive all the time.

I think any kind of service job for the elderly is a great idea. With so many families spread out across the country/world, many elderly have no one to help them with the simple tasks.

#71904 - 06/09/06 03:57 AM Re: extra cash
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Cathi did any of the ideas seem plausable to you?

#71905 - 06/09/06 05:27 AM Re: extra cash
Wisdom&Life Offline

Hi,

Actually, between husband and work I've had some ironing to do in between, LOL.

These are good ideas, thanks for the tips here. I am at work now and I am sneaking this message here, LOL. However, this is very good to know because you never know when earning extra cash will come in handy. These methods can be applied to just about any odd job we choose to do.

Thanks, I knew I would learn by posting this here.

Okay, anyone else with other services for extra cash?

I have done flea markets before. Only problem with that, I usually turn around and spend some of the money on other "treasures". I even got sunburned once, ouch!

Cheers,
Cathi

#71906 - 06/19/06 05:14 PM Re: extra cash
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Bringing this old post back up for a bit. I've had a booth at an antique mall before. This has pros and cons, like anything else. For one thing, it's time consuming. For another, you need to keep fresh items in the booth. And yet another, you need to have a decorator's eye. Plain booths will get passed by, where if your booth is "eye candy" they will stop every time. Another con would be the booth rental. I shared the booth with another woman so it was cut in half for me. The owners of the place didn't like keeping track of "who's" stuff sold out of our booth, so we had to beg and plead to get her to do our inventory a certain way. It almost wasn't worth it. But junking on the weekends to find new treasurers was absolute heaven and we took a lot of trips for this kind of thing. So many good memories with this. You won't get rich, but at least someone else is paying the utilities and building rent.

Another way to make extra money is recycling. I read where one man saved up all the junk mail, old magazines, newspapers, etc...and separated it into "colored items" and "black and white." Then when he thought he had enough he took it to a paper recycling plant. He was pulling in 300.00 a weekend after he bought a little trailer and went around his neighborhood collecting their papers too. He only did this on certain weekends and they would sit all their papers out by the street. He hauled it off for them free...and then separated it, and took it to the recycle center. I don't know what they pay, but a phone call could give you that info.

Substitute teaching is another way to make extra money...If you can put up with the kids.

Yard sales is another....Repeat after me. I WILL NEVER HAVE ANOTHER YARD SALE AS LONG AS I LIVE.

Another way, and this kind of gets into a craft area, would be to make something unique...like a centerpiece for baby showers made out of diapers...or mints for weddings (easy one), or crochet baby booties, mittens, SCARFS (popular one)...and sell them at a flea market, or you could sell your stuff TO the flea market people cheap, and let them mark it up.

I've always wanted to learn how to use saws and make specialized mailbox holders. Have you ever notice that NOBODY has anything pretty out there for mailbox holders? Same old, same old...

Just a few suggestions.

#71907 - 06/19/06 06:50 PM Re: extra cash
Wisdom&Life Offline

Wow, I just had an idea. This is good information that can be compiled in a book.

People are always looking for ways to make extra money and I don't think there would be enough books on this subject.

Well, just thinking out loud.

Oh and a spin off could be a list of keeping the children occupied in the summer.

Cheers,
Cathi

#71908 - 06/19/06 09:33 PM Re: extra cash
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Cathi,
This is a GREAT idea. Absolutely! Actually, both ideas are good but I would make them a separate project if it were me. Reason being you could capture MORE markets that way...normally if people see one book by you, like it, and then find out there's another one, they don't hestitate to grab it as well!

Why don't you go forward with this? As a matter of fact, anybody else got any great ideas? Most people are afraid to share them for fear of someone else jumping on it and taking off. Don't worry bout me doing that...I'm too lazy.

JJ

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved