The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 122 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#70923 - 12/10/04 05:03 AM step-grandparenting
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Is there such a thing as a step-grandmother? My stepson and his wife are having a baby. What does that make me? [Confused] When I tell people at work, I say my husband is going to be a grandfather. Of course, my daughter works with me so if I were to say I'm going to be a grandmother, everyone would think she's the one who is pregnant and it would be too confusing. [Eek!]

Our children are all grown and never lived with us.

My kids' grandfather (their late dad's father, the one who just passed away) got re-married 3 years ago at 88 years old. They didn't care too much for a "step-grandmother" all of a sudden.
Louisa [Roll Eyes]

#70924 - 12/10/04 07:50 PM Re: step-grandparenting
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
Dear Louisa,

I can share your dilemna. Fortunately, our blended families get along well. They are "our" kids and "our" grandkids. I love my step grand kids as much as I love my own. No distinction, in fact, I may have a favorite but I don't show it! I proudly say I am the grandmother of 12!

Love,
Sherri

#70925 - 12/11/04 05:15 AM Re: step-grandparenting
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I am the step-grasndma to two of my sons children, Jared 21 and Crissy 19. Jason who's 14 is Dave and Wendys only child together although he's raised Jared and crissy since infancy practically. Now when one of them has a baby I willo be the step-grandmother. It's a fact of life. Actually only a title, we do all the same stuff for each of them... [Big Grin]

#70926 - 12/12/04 06:59 PM Re: step-grandparenting
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
I agree it is all very confusing but the issue is what is your relationship with the child and the parents?

With my son, the titles we use for people do not alwys relate to who they are to us by blood.

We have aunts and uncles that are so close to Johna and I we have lived our lives as brothers and sisters. These people, if wanted become aunts and uncles.

My parents did this and we got the jist of it as we got older. We knew who our reltives were but we also knew who was very close to our parents adn very close to us. Even today, these people are "part of our family".

If the kids are clsoe, make up a name , Nana, Mom-Mom, Me maw, MeMe, whatever you liek and be that. Your relationship will blossom and that is most important. To ousiders, you are Nana to these kids!

Just a thought

Lynn

#70927 - 12/12/04 11:30 PM Re: step-grandparenting
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
You know Lynn what you said is so true. We as children called some of my parents really close friends Uncle and Aunt and I still refer to some of my same age very close friends as cousins. When I was growing up (in olden times, ha ha!) it was respectful to call people Aunt or Uncle. I was raised with respect and still today call clerks in stores mame or sir. Doesn't hurt to be respectful at any age.... [Smile]

#70928 - 12/14/04 07:46 PM Re: step-grandparenting
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Amen to that chatty!

Reminds me of my mom. She evn said yes sir to her doctors when they were younger than her! [Big Grin]

[ December 14, 2004, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved