The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#220342 - 08/07/14 04:30 AM Tupperware and other home demos
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Do you remember?

Are there any going on today?

We had Tupperware, Sarah Coventry, Celebrity (both jewelry)

Fuller Brush man

Nowadays I've seen Pampered Chef but that's about it!

#220343 - 08/07/14 06:14 PM Re: Tupperware and other home demos [Re: Di]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I think there are still direct sales businesses that exist and use home parties as a sales technique, especially those selling makeup. I just try really hard not to attend them.

I was recruited into Amway back in the early 80s and actually received a lot of valid sales training in the process. Of course, they have a different name these days, and I don't recall what it is.

But one of my Facebook friends is always talking about her Jafra business, and I think that is a direct sales company, though I don't know if they have parties.

Here's a list of the top 5 direct sales makeup companies.

And here's a website that ranks the home party business companies.

So I guess they DO EXIST!

www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#220344 - 08/07/14 06:31 PM Re: Tupperware and other home demos [Re: Anne Holmes]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Anne.....why do you try hard NOT to attend them?

#220345 - 08/07/14 06:53 PM Re: Tupperware and other home demos [Re: Di]
Boomer in Chief

Hi Di,

Several reasons, all of which will probably make me sound like a grouch.But here goes:

Mainly I am at a point in my life where I do not want to acquire extra "stuff." So no interest in buying makeup that I won't wear, or home decor that I don't need, etc.

Secondly I have very little spare time and that which I have I want to spend with people I know and love. I don't want to go to a "party" that is a sales pitch in disguise, because (a) if no one else is buying you get pressured by the presenter to "help" the hostess by buying, and (b)you always get a pitch to help the hostess be able to buy the stuff she wants for free by agreeing to hold a party of your own, which means (c) you are eventually encouraged to foist this experience off on other friends.

If I need something, I just want to buy it as fast as possible and be done with it. I don't want to turn it into a party.

Furthermore, I really don't like shopping, so I try my best to avoid it. And when I do, these days, I find I do most of my shopping online. Amazon Prime with it's free shipping and superfast delivery is a big friend of mine.

I DO like the concept of buying at farmer's markets, by the way. But I never go because I am not an early riser, and my experience says the early people get the most choice goods.

In short I just think I have better things to do with my time than go to a "party" whose main goal is to sell me stuff I don't want or need. I'd rather go to a party that was just a group of people getting together to enjoy each other's company and have fun.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#220370 - 08/14/14 11:55 AM Re: Tupperware and other home demos [Re: Anne Holmes]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Our pantry is full of Tupperware. In my younger days, I used to LOVE Tupperware parties so much, I would beg people to invite me (which they were glad to do, of course, since it upped their intake significantly, lol).

One time, I had a bug infestation in my food cupboard...a box of cereal I had bought was full of them and they quickly got into everything. Ugh. I had to throw out about 4 large garbage bags full of infested food. Terrible. Then I wouldn't bring any other food into the apartment unless I had a Tupperware container to put them in. It took awhile, but eventually I ended up with a cupboard full of various sizes and shapes of the stuff.

We're still using it all, and glad to have it. It looks nice, helps me to keep the stuff organized, and keeps the bugs out (though we've never had another bug problem since that first time).

But I never get invited to Tupperware parties now. I don't think I'd go anyway, because we have everything we need and no space for more.

I've also been to jewelry parties (which I thoroughly enjoyed), spice parties (also loved those ones), and makeup parties (not so much). But I haven't heard of, or been invited to, any such thing since we moved from Nova Scotia. I sort of miss them. But have saved a bundle of money. smile

(Maya Angelou)

#220374 - 08/14/14 05:28 PM Re: Tupperware and other home demos [Re: Eagle Heart]
Boomer in Chief

I've not heard of spice parties, but I think I might enjoy one like that.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#220377 - 08/14/14 07:23 PM Re: Tupperware and other home demos [Re: Anne Holmes]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I forget the name of the company. My step-daughter buys the same product through a catalogue supplied by a co-worker, who I think has also had parties at her house to show samples of the spices and even to provide various dips and sauces made with the spices.

That's what I liked most about that particular party too. The samples and recipe ideas.

(Maya Angelou)

#220444 - 09/13/14 01:48 AM Re: Tupperware and other home demos [Re: Eagle Heart]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
I DO like the concept of buying at farmer's markets, by the way. But I never go because I am not an early riser, and my experience says the early people get the most choice goods.

I've gone to farmers' markets during non-snow seasons for past 2 decades...in every city where I've lived. Partially because my partner used to be a weekend farmer for a decade before I met him. Through him, I learned about the effort of farmers (which Anne I know you know this) and variety of local goods. I've never try to be there within the first hr. to get the "best". Actually some of the best deals happen within the last 2 hrs. on last day of the market for the week, if the outdoor farmer just wants to sell off some fresh produce instead of hauling it back into truck.

Here's my blog post on personal experiences in Canada and wherever we vacation /tour overseas. One does get a more local flavour of crafts, food when travelling overseas.

My partner actually helps out at his son's market stall at one of the local farmers' markets, whenever he's visiting town since his son runs a sandwich and butcher shop. He enjoys it...meeting the customers while handling the sales, etc.

Edited by orchid (09/13/14 01:51 AM)

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved