The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 163 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#218439 - 01/15/13 09:41 PM Favorite silly songs of the past
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Earlier today someone sent me an email that referenced the lyrics to a song deep in my past. A song I literally haven't thought about for decades.

What was it? "The One-eyed, One Horned Flying Purple People Eater."

In case you remember the song but not all the lyrics, check out the link above...

It was a nice blast from the past. A song from circa 1957, when life was good and the lyrics to popular songs were very simple.

Take a listen, and let's talk about YOUR favorite song from the past...

www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#218440 - 01/15/13 11:24 PM Re: Favorite silly songs of the past [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I remember this song. I love music so I have many favorite songs. I like "Honeycomb"; "Once A Day"; "Waltz Across Texas";
"Delta Dawn" and on and on...

#218452 - 01/17/13 12:04 AM Re: Favorite silly songs of the past [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

That one eye, one horn, flying purple people eater is funny!

#218456 - 01/17/13 04:09 PM Re: Favorite silly songs of the past [Re: jabber]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
How about Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini?
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#218461 - 01/17/13 10:19 PM Re: Favorite silly songs of the past [Re: yonuh]
Boomer in Chief

That's another good one, Yonuh! All are fun to sing...
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#218542 - 02/07/13 11:27 PM Re: Favorite silly songs of the past [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Achy Breaky Heart!

Pizza Pie!

Does Your Chewing Gum Lose It's Flavor On The Bed Post Overnight?

#218563 - 02/12/13 10:42 AM Re: Favorite silly songs of the past [Re: jabber]
lindasusan Offline

Loc: NJ
Yes, these were all fun songs of our past. Now, let's go back to the year 1966, the year the Beatles Album "Rubber Soul was released. Remember that year? There was a fun, but controversial, song released, "They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha! " Looking back on the thinking then, people were taking this song a little too seriously instead of laughing and having fun with it. Here it is below, it really is humorous; enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-lJZiqZaGA

Edited by lindasusan (02/12/13 10:43 AM)

#218564 - 02/12/13 05:15 PM Re: Favorite silly songs of the past [Re: lindasusan]
Boomer in Chief

Hi Lindasusan,

Thanks for bringing a fun memory to mind with the mention of this song. I have a personal story to share about the song, though it most certainly wasn't funny at the time...

Twenty-some years ago, my mother met and eventually married a fantastic man -- someone just perfect for her. He's retired now, but at that time he was a high school shop teacher, and he'd had his mother come live with him, as she was failing mentally. She wasn't totally bonkers, but she was a little bit "off," just not totally with the program, so to speak.

On the occasion I'm recalling, Steve and I and our two kids had been invited to come meet Russ and his mother and share a meal with them.

My son was no more than 10, and quite an expressive personality. He was an active, inquisitive and friendly kid. He also loved to sing, often singing songs he'd heard on the oldies radio station I often listened to...

After our initial meeting that day, I went into the kitchen to help get the meal on the table, and left Steve, Russ, his mother and my kids in the living room, where they somewhat awkwardly trying to find something to chat about.

We asked the kids to help set the table, to give them something active to do...

The next thing I heard, my son had started singing under his breath, while putting silverware on the table. And this is what he'd innocently selected to sing: "They're coming to take me away ha ha, they're coming to take me away ho ho, to the funny farm, where life is beautiful all the time..."

Steve quickly moved to shush him, and Zach seemed to have no idea why we'd put the kibosh on his singing.

We all prayed that Russ's mother hadn't really been listening to Zach, and no one spoke of this again.

In retrospect, it seems like Zach picked an oddly accurate song to sing in childlike innocence. (But these days, he gets really embarrassed if anyone reminds him of the incident.)
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#218565 - 02/13/13 12:55 AM Re: Favorite silly songs of the past [Re: Anne Holmes]
lindasusan Offline

Anne, I'm sure at the time it was uncomfortable that your son sang that song, but we know he was a child enjoying and having fun with it. I find it so interesting how much listening to an old song can remind one of. Thanks for your story. Best Wishes!

#218566 - 02/13/13 01:01 AM Re: Favorite silly songs of the past [Re: Anne Holmes]
lindasusan Offline

Anne, I thought of a song that I'm sure will bring to mind sheer wonderful memories of teenage dreams; and that song is....... click below and enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_o-adbq9h0

Edited by lindasusan (02/13/13 01:02 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved