The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 172 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#219667 - 11/19/13 11:06 PM Is Your State's Newborn Testing Adequate?
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I'm a proud mama this week, and sharing my pride here.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel where my daughter is a news editor, this week published a multi-day series on newborn testing. (The heel pricks babies have been getting for decades now.) They worked on this series for a year, and collected info from all states. Jen was one of the two editors to review all the articles prior to publication. She put in a lot of extra hours (even worked during vacation) to get her work done so that this story could be published.

Obviously I know that most Boomer women are past the age of birthing babies, so it might seem odd to post a like to this series here.

But many of us I believe, will still be interested in the findings. And, we are activists. So if we don't like what we read, we're the people who will lead the needed charges to get changes made where they are necessary.

Here's a link that will get you into the series. What I find most interesting is how much variance there is by state - end even by individual hospital within a state - as to how quickly these test results are analyzed.

I was delighted to find out that Iowa, the state I lived in when my kids were born, has an excellent record for quickly turning around the test results. And their labs are open 7 days/week.

Sadly, some states are only affording to staff their testing labs on weekdays. And there are several states which don't have labs that do this testing. They send their tests out of state.

These sorts of issues have led to situations where parents don't learn of treatable situations in time to prevent damage being innocently done to the child. In at least one case I read of here, the lab results came back the day after the child died.

I'm certainly hoping that the results of this 50-state analysis will be a wake-up call.

Please take a look at the article series!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#219681 - 11/24/13 12:00 AM Re: Is Your State's Newborn Testing Adequate? [Re: Anne Holmes]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Thanks to any and all of you who may have read this article about Newborn Testing and contacted anyone in your state about the results.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel called this a "watchdog" report, and it has had an impact. Though some foot-dragging is still apparent.

Here's a link to a follow up report the MJS published online today -- which will appear in the print paper tomorrow - Sunday.

I'm delighted to report that so much action to begin to correct the problems has already begun.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved