The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 162 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#136178 - 01/01/08 02:05 PM Fosamax prices
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Exorbitant new year prices have appeared in Fosamax. Last year it cost me $50 for 3 months. I placed a refill order this AM and the price went up to $87.50. Oh no, I will not.

I found out that I can double my calcium intake and get better results with new bone rather than maintain what I have with Fosamax. Is this a marketing ploy to scare us into spending our hard-earned money? I think so. Anybody else taking Fosamax agree?
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#136179 - 01/01/08 02:24 PM Re: Fosamax prices [Re: Saundra]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Although I don't take Fosamax, I think the drug companies are running a scam. They use our taxpayer's dollars in many cases for research on new drugs, then turn around and charge exorbitant prices, supposedly to pay for the research and development of new drugs. Much research is being done at public research universities with grant money from the US government (our tax dollars at work!) on new drugs and treatments. So why are we paying for research and development twice?
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#136180 - 01/01/08 02:40 PM Re: Fosamax prices [Re: yonuh]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Agree about the insane prices of all drugs. And starting today, my co-pays on my drugs and office visits triple. Last year my heart drugs cost me $1,000 out of pocket. This year they will cost me $3,000 out of pocket. Medical costs are out of line!

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#136181 - 01/01/08 05:39 PM Re: Fosamax prices [Re: Anno]
Saundra Offline

I called back to cancel my order, which took over 1/2 hour and the woman will call me back to let me know if she could get it done. She agreed with everything I said. I will not be held hostage by a drug company for a drug that already has a class-action lawsuit against it.

If we don't take action by calling, writing and emailing drug companies and Congress, nothing will change. These prices are unconscienceable(sp?) and I condsider it abuse.

#136182 - 01/01/08 08:10 PM Re: Fosamax prices [Re: Saundra]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Wow Ann! 3,000 dollars for your heart medicine?

Why do Europeans get as much medicine as we need for free? Americans are forced to go to work just to pay their medical bills. Something is very wrong with this picture.
My next vote is going to a President that supports socialized medicine. It’s the only way to go.

#136183 - 01/01/08 08:45 PM Re: Fosamax prices [Re: Edelweiss]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
We spent nearly 8,000 dollars last year on medical and dental premiums, co-pays, prescriptions, special tests, ie. bone density. These were dollars that were out of pocket after paying taxes on the income. Or no income. When MH was getting unemployment (and we might have to pay that back...employer had a lawyer!) anyway, I did not get certain drugs due to costs. One drug I ommitted was Fosomax. When we got health insurance on Dec 8th, I went to my GP, and she said I had to take Fosomax due to osteopenia. If a woman HAS to take it, shouldn't there be a discount. No, it's just the opposite. If a woman HAS to take it, the insurance companies and pharmaceutical companys makes sure she pays the highest possible price. Guess what? I've been taking the miracle drug Imitrex for migraines. This year, Imitrex is not covered by the new insurance company we have. Nor are other migraine medications. It does not make sense. What are we going to do?

#136184 - 01/01/08 10:28 PM Re: Fosamax prices [Re: Princess Lenora]
Saundra Offline

Lynnie, double up on your calcium and forget the Fosamax. That's what I'm doing. I'm in shock over the prices of insurance, meds, tests, etc. I don't know how regular people survive. I'm including dental costs.

Take action by calling, writing and emailing drug companies and Congress or nothing will change. Should we start our own grass roots campaign?

Edited by Saundra (01/01/08 10:29 PM)

#136185 - 01/01/08 10:31 PM Re: Fosamax prices [Re: Princess Lenora]
QBall101 Offline

Want a kicker? Price anti-rejection meds. One (1) month of my meds is $1066.05. AND that is through the least expensive LIGIT pharmacy I could locate. My insurance picks up 80% after I've met a 1000 deductable, and after I pay out another 1000 in co-pay 20% at a time. Then insurance pays all. But that cycles annually. Too, my insurance just for me is $450/mo. Those totals do not include the required monthly labs, annual trip to the Transplant Doctors, close to $400 for a 10 minute office visit, or general female maintainence.
Here's the saddest part, in most cases having insurance is one of the factors, when the powers that be decide if a patient is placed on the transplant list or not. YEP, there is a financial coordinator as one member of a transplant team. Do NOT take this wrong, I am so HAPPY to be ALIVE to pay these bills it's AMAZING!
OH Fosamax,I don't take it, but was told to take 3 TUMS daily for the calcium. In spite of my meds potential to damaging my bones, my bone density was better at 1 yr post TX than they were at 6mo post TX. AT 48 last yr when I had the last BD test, my RN coordinator said I had the bones of a 20 year old. & I could skip a yr of the test, so I'll have another BD test in Nov of 08. My 81 y/o MIL has taken Tums for years ever since I've known her 30 yrs. Her bones are showing no sign of detereation. Defenitly cheaper that fosimax.

#136187 - 01/03/08 09:59 PM Re: Fosamax prices [Re: ]
Saundra Offline

QBall, thanks for the Tums tip.

I just left a complaint for Merck about the Fosamax price increase. You can call 800-672-6372.

You can also write:

Merck National Service Center
Merck & Co. Inc.
PO Box 4
WP 39-207
West Point, PA 19486

Our voices and hitting them in the pocketbook can make a difference. I urge you to at least call in a complaint if you take Fosamax. I have to go now. Having a full-blown hot flash.

#136188 - 01/03/08 11:28 PM Re: Fosamax prices [Re: Saundra]
QBall101 Offline

Saundra,
The Elderly lady I work with takes Fosamax, I'll pass this 800# on to her & my husband's Aunt also on Fosamax and have them both call w/ their complaint too. Since I've heard them both make negitive remarks about the cost. You're Welcome for the Tums tip, they say it's better to space them out over the day to keep the calcium in your system steady. Good Luck with the Power Surges aka Hot Flashes. I'm so glad I got through those days in my late 30's - early 40's. Done by 42! Now I freeze all the time. LOL What women have to live with. LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved