The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 132 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#82382 - 07/11/06 05:26 PM Have You Ever Thought one Thing but Said Another?
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Walking home from the mall today, I was standing at one of the busiest intersections in the entire city, waiting for my light to cross. Cars were turning from the opposite side into the lanes closest to me. Two young men standing on the other side of the road started crossing toward me. I figured they would stop at the center median and wait for the green light, but one of the guys hesitated only a moment, then kept crossing...but he didn't see what I could see - a huge garbage truck roaring through the intersection trying to make his left turn before the light changed. I gestured wildly to both the driver and the other guy to stop, but both kept coming. The guy JUST managed to make it to the sidewalk a split second before the garbage truck would have hit him.

I was scared - not just for this guy, but because if the garbage truck had swerved even a few feet to avoid this guy, the truck would have hit ME. So I was very grateful that everyone escaped harm. I meant to say to the guy "You are so lucky, your guardian angels must be working overtime!" But what came out of my mouth was "You are so STUPID!"

Now, he did do a very stupid thing; that is a notoriously dangerous intersection, and everyone around here knows to wait for the light. His impatience could have had fatal consequences. Nevertheless, I try to never use the word "stupid"...I've hurt myself too many times by flinging it in my own face. So I've tried to irradicate the word from my vocabulary. But today it just blurted out, even when I had every intention of saying "lucky" instead of "stupid".

After I crossed the street, I felt really horrible - even if I had said "That was a really stupid move", it would have been better than calling him stupid. It left such a bad taste in my mouth that I wish I could find this guy and apologize. But all I can do is pray for him, and hope that he will realize what a great gift God gave him today by sparing his life at that intersection.

So I was wondering, how many others here have thought one thing and had every intention of saying that one thing, but then other completely different words came flying out of your mouth?

(Maya Angelou)

#82383 - 07/11/06 05:41 PM Re: Have You Ever Thought one Thing but Said Another? [Re: Eagle Heart]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
Oooooooo, many a time I have said the wrong thing/word!!!!

#82384 - 07/11/06 07:14 PM Re: Have You Ever Thought one Thing but Said Another? [Re: Cookie]
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
I was watching fireworks at the WP Air Force Base with my male friend. They had several songs and stuff where people stood out of respect for the flag, a few veterans, etc. He leaned down one time and said "I think I'm supposed to be quiet now" and I said "Well, shut up, then." I hate hearing shut up. It sounds so ugly. He hated it too.

laurapoplin.com

#82385 - 07/12/06 03:20 AM Re: Have You Ever Thought one Thing but Said Another? [Re: Daisygirl]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
"Open mouth, engage foot" - have you heard that one? Oh yes, Eagleheart, I can relate. It's awful when you say something and you really wish you could take it back, or find the person and apologize. We all do it at one time or another, don't be too hard on yourself - it was a scary moment.

Kathy

#82386 - 07/12/06 01:02 PM Re: Have You Ever Thought one Thing but Said Another? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Ummm, I meant "Open mouth, INSERT foot" - see, I can't even get my quotes right!

#82387 - 07/12/06 02:13 PM Re: Have You Ever Thought one Thing but Said Another? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Gosh Eagle, it was a scary moment and you thought the guy might be killed. Maybe that word will make him be more careful in the future.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#82388 - 07/12/06 02:32 PM Re: Have You Ever Thought one Thing but Said Another? [Re: Dianne]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I hope so, Dianne. I could see it, but he had his back to the truck, so I don't even know if he realizes just how close he came to being totally smucked yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised if it took more than a few guardian angels to push him out of the way!

(Maya Angelou)

#82390 - 07/17/06 08:04 AM Re: Have You Ever Thought one Thing but Said Anoth [Re: ]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
My "usual" line, when people try to bargain at craft fairs, is "I'm priced to sell, not to bargain." But one lady was getting so annoying, I said "I'm priced to sell, not to bull----." Which is true, although I didn't meant to blurt it so blatantly.

She wandered around the fair and actually came back 1/2 hour later to buy the item!

Poet and essayist

#82391 - 07/17/06 10:19 AM Re: Have You Ever Thought one Thing but Said Anoth [Re: meredithbead]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
I went to Oxford Street to pick up something for my grandson during a lunch break and on coming back to the office, a colleague asked me what the crowd was like in the shops. Says I: "Too many bloody foreigners getting in my way from A to B". I had meant to say "tourists". An expression like that coming from a Yank living in London...talk about calling the kettle black. Dry British wit saved the day.

#82392 - 07/17/06 11:31 PM Re: Have You Ever Thought one Thing but Said Anoth [Re: Lola]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Anne327 and Eagle and its alot easier to hit someone with a big car than with a tiny bullet....

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved