The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 137 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#183065 - 05/26/09 06:22 PM Where to live
Rachel2 Offline

Recently , My wonderful man lost his job and has yet to be able to find another, I haqve applied to ssi and other government services, none of which have come in yet. We soon went to housing authority and signed up for section 8 or help with housing to get a place. Over the weakend they sent us a letter that says they have a unit available, we call this morning after the holiday and get the addy. Now because we had lost the car we are on foot so my hubby walked ( it wasnt far ) to where this place was too look at it, good so far right? Wrong / because between the time he left to go look at it someone else went by car to look at it AND took it. Yes while he was in route , made me so mad I wanted to cry. almost did if a friend here where I volunteer didn't give me a hug and change the subject. oh and what did I leave out - the current land lord has already said if we didnt have 2 weeks this week and last weeks rent, we were going to be asked to leave. Suddenly we are looking for homeless shelters.
Sometimes I wonder where I went wrong and who did I made angry/ Hehe. Oh well, I feel a little better getting it out. Will keep everyone updated. Anyother day in the life of the down and struggling in Kcks

#183066 - 05/26/09 06:39 PM Re: Where to live [Re: Rachel2]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
You have all the reasons to be angry, Rachel. It's such an unfair practice that the unit was given so quickly when other invitees still remained to inspect and view the premises. How long would you have to wait for another place from the housing authorities? Would they pay your current landlord in the meantime? Where do you live? The reason I ask is because, there might be organisations close to you which might be able to help towards short-term relief.

#183072 - 05/26/09 07:43 PM Re: Where to live [Re: Lola]
Rachel2 Offline

We live in Kansas ( land of oz). There is another place but we would need to pay my power bill in order for my husband to turn it on in his name( because the lease needs to have all adults on it) so the power co might see my name. I'm not sure what the wait list would be on another its like first come first serve. which sucks. And I really dont think the housing here would pay the land lord while we are waiting. Any short term that we could use has already be exhaused this year. And hubby is a vet, you think he would get more help then a quick thank you. Vets really do get a raw deal when they come home.

#183075 - 05/26/09 07:58 PM Re: Where to live [Re: Rachel2]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Listen to Lola. She's THE lawyer among us.

It's more than disgraceful that a man who is willing to die for his country might be homeless. I'm angry with you Rachel.

#183076 - 05/26/09 07:59 PM Re: Where to live [Re: Rachel2]
Lola Offline

Rachel, I surfed the net and found this FAQ in Kansas. Hope Questions 5-7 help towards private landlords.

http://www.hud.gov/faqs/faqrenting.cfm

#183080 - 05/26/09 08:40 PM Re: Where to live [Re: Lola]
Rachel2 Offline

Thanks Lola, I am looking at it now. I wish the housing authority would wait at least 24 hrs to give us the chance to get old bills taken care of so we can consentrate on new. And I am disabled on top of it, I just dont want them to give us the heve ho because we ( well I) am asking too much.

#183084 - 05/26/09 08:54 PM Re: Where to live [Re: Rachel2]
Lola Offline

Here's another link which might be able to help. Do try to phone them. Take the name of the person you speak to. If you are turned down, please PM me so I can call them.

http://www.catholiccharitiesks.org/humanservices/emergency.html

#183086 - 05/26/09 09:10 PM Re: Where to live [Re: Lola]
Rachel2 Offline

Lola, I have tried these and they have helped me in the past, I'm not sure they will help with 2 weeks rent again this year.
( The Keeler womens center is also in the same building) a place that also helps. I'm not sure how many I have already asked for help.

Thanks again

#183090 - 05/26/09 09:20 PM Re: Where to live [Re: Rachel2]
Lola Offline

Are you talking about the Catholic Charities, Rachel? Try them again. If they helped before, they will help again. Tell them you're on the waiting list for housing and explain your circumstances.

You're welcome. Anything to help a vet. My gesture of thanks from where I am. And, you're a BWS sister.

Heck, if I were there, I'd have twacked the housing officer from the unfair practice of immediately allocating homes. And, I'm not even a violent person. LOL!

Edited by Lola (05/26/09 09:23 PM)

#183093 - 05/26/09 09:31 PM Re: Where to live [Re: Lola]
Rachel2 Offline

Yes I am talking about Catholic Charities, but I can always ask.
He he no it doesn't sound like they are being fair. But you know what we would do when we see an injustice and what 'they' would do are so different.

And my husband thanks you as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved