The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 168 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#60424 - 08/12/05 05:54 PM Construction guys!!! (RANT)
Fiftyandfine Offline

Loc: FL
Okay, so it's my own fault for moving into a neighborhood that is still under construction. The house to one side is nearly done, and the one to the other hasn't even been started. But, EVERY DAY the construction guys do something ridiculus to me/my property/my house.
First, I heard running water and thought maybe we had a leak. No, the guys had hooked up a hose to my outside bib!!! HEY, we pay for our water here! I tried to explain to them that it was unacceptable, but they acted like they couldn't understand English. (I hear them speaking Spanish amongst themselves, but I also hear them speaking English)
Then, they knocked over my brand new mailbox, so the mailman didn't bring any mail for three days!!!
Now, this morning, I get ready to go take the trash out before the truck comes and they've set a
pile of stone on the end of my driveway. I suppose I can back out of the other side, if I go on the grass a little bit, but this is ridiculus!!!
I tried calling the HOA Pres/Vice Pres, but they're BOTH out of town. I tried talking to the
workers, again --nada!
I'm on my way to my physical therapist, who happens to be Hispanic, and I'm going to have him WRITE in Spanish everything they're doing wrong, and that they'd better stop immediately. G-r-r-r!
This week started so badly with my daughter-in-law's illness and it's just been one thing after another. Ok, so maybe my tolerance is down. Ok, so maybe I'm done ranting. Ok, so maybe I'll just go get that massage....

#60425 - 08/12/05 06:19 PM Re: Construction guys!!! (RANT)
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I'm sorry that you have to deal with this.

We're living with construction crews also but it's because they are connecting half of my neighborhood to city water. The streets are a disaster and I have to come up with new ways to get out of the neighborhood everyday.

Your situation sounds a lot worse than mine though. How long before they are going to be finished?

Speaking English or not , common courtesy is understood in any language!

#60426 - 08/13/05 07:55 AM Re: Construction guys!!! (RANT)
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Talk to the owner of the construction company. Tell him you're going to report him to the HOA. When they were building our house, the crew used our neighbor's water and they had a huge bill and they never asked for it to be reimbursed. I'm not sure why. What a mess.

#60427 - 08/12/05 10:40 PM Re: Construction guys!!! (RANT)
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
There has to be a boss who is more responsible than the crew members. Have you seen anyone stopping by to check in on them. Perhaps that is who you should talk with.

I had an issue with some of the work the county did in front of our house. I asked a few of the guys who couldn't understand English and they shrugged at me with smiles (that helps). Then I said, "boss?" and they pointed to a man up the street. He was most helpful and instructed the crew to make the change I suggested.

Good luck.

#60428 - 08/13/05 02:39 AM Re: Construction guys!!! (RANT)
KAY B Offline

Loc: Long Island, New York
I FEEL FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
When my annoying neighbors had their house sided-they used my yard as a work area!!! Didn't set a single thing on their property!!!! When they slammed a huge board against my house is when I lost it!!! They pretended not to speak english--& I went "I BET YOU UNDERSTAND I AM CALLING THE COPS IF YOU DON'T MOVE ALL YOUR BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP!" & suddenly they spoke english!!!

When they were doing the remodel on our house...I couldn't udnerstand why everyone complained about it being such a hassle!!! Until the plumbers struck!!!

Let's see....we had a guy stealing food out of our fridge---then they took their sweet old time because I called the contractor & complained!!! ASK!!! JUST ASK!!! I couldn't wait to see them go!
Just when I didn't think it could get worse--our carbon monixide alarm went off to the fire dept--
and someone had cut a phoneline--so the fire dept showed up!!!! The workers got annoyed with me! And their boss called & yelled at me!!!

Other than that......it wasn't too bad! By the time they were done I didn't want to see another stranger coming into this house! [Razz]

Hopefully you will have this situation solved soon!!!! I feel for you!!! It could be worse--they could be inside your house!!! [Smile]

#60429 - 08/13/05 03:57 AM Re: Construction guys!!! (RANT)
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Last year we undertook a full house remodel. It was a nightmare. Our biggest problem was the contractors who kept signing on then never showing up. There is so much construction in this area, craftsmen can just about get away with anything they want and they can name their own price.
smile

#60430 - 08/13/05 07:01 AM Re: Construction guys!!! (RANT)
KAY B Offline

Loc: Long Island, New York
We lucked out with our contractor!! They were the first we called--and ended up using. They were straight forward from the minute they walked in the door---& lived up to every single word they said. They also went out of their way for us--a simple problem that could be fixed whenever--within an hour someone was at the house fixing it.

The only problem we had was with the plumbers!!! [Razz]
Loved the sheetrock guys!!! [Smile] LOL

#60431 - 08/13/05 05:27 PM Re: Construction guys!!! (RANT)
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
We gutted an old farmhouse. Was supposed to take six months and took almost two years. Oh yeah, we were living in it at the time. I was going to claim the workers as dependents on my taxes, they were there so long. It was beautiful when it was finished but I would never do that again.

#60432 - 08/15/05 05:03 PM Re: Construction guys!!! (RANT)
Fiftyandfine Offline

Loc: FL
Well now, this just proves what a good man I'm married to. By the time he got home on Friday, I was fit to be tied because the construction problems just kept getting worse. My dear man simply decided to kill them with kindness...
On Saturday morning (they work 7 days a week here) my husband filled up our grandkids kiddie pool and put it under the one shade tree we have in the back. Then he filled both of our big orange coolers--one with lots of ice and lemonade, and one with lots of ice and water. He took them plastic disposable cups and he cut some gallon milk jugs to make scoopers so they could pour water from the pool over themselves. When he spoke to them in English) they just kept saying "Gracias, gracias."
So, Saturday afternoon we leave to get some errands done. When we returned the coolers and the pool were neatly stacked beside the back porch, and our driveway/sidewalk had been swept!!!
Hubby repeated his actions on Sunday, and again today before he left for work.
So far, these guys are being VERY appreciative.
Not only are the problems resolved, but I got a lesson in being a bit more kind and understanding about other people's situations...
Of course, there remains the issue of what all that lemonade is going to cost us [Razz]

#60433 - 08/15/05 05:15 PM Re: Construction guys!!! (RANT)
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
When life throws you lemons...make lemonade!
Sounds like your hubby knows this little secret and was smart enough to use it, fifty.
A good lesson for all of us. [Wink]
chick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved