The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 138 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#89752 - 09/29/06 06:45 PM Halloween is coming!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
It will soon be Halloween and the gouls and goblins will be out trick or treating. Do any of you do anything different or special for this holiday? I make my popcorn cake but roll it into individual balls wrapped in orange cellophane with dark brown ribbon. I take them to the Nursing home and to the home for battered women and children. The kids and the seniors faces light up , its magical...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#89753 - 09/29/06 07:48 PM Re: Halloween is coming! [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
chatty, our tradition will change this year because all the kids are gone. Last year my daughter had some friends here for dinner, then they went trick or treating (at age 18). Some of the kid's parents stayed along with my dad and sister. I think we had as much fun as the kids.

This year the tradition will have to change. I think we'll have to invite some couples over or else I'll miss the comotion too much.

I've made your popcorn cake before and it was a hit. Very gooey, but crunchy and delicious too.

#89754 - 09/29/06 09:52 PM Re: Halloween is coming!
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Well, we were going to do something different, but we've changed our minds. I won tickets to the Halloween Ball at the Hawthorne Hotel in Salem, MA. Typically, I don't go into or drive through Salem the whole month of October. Because Salem is famous for witches, etc, with the Witch Museum and the Witch House and all, it is unbelievable at Halloween. Every night in October, there is something going on and the traffic is horrendous. Parking is impossible and the closer it gets to Halloween, the worse it gets.

The Halloween Ball is an elaborate affair. The tickets are hard to come by. They go for $80 each. Since we got married at the Hawthorne, go there for dinner a lot and I am having my daughter's baby showere there and I love dressing up and have always wanted to go to this thing, I thought I'd get a room and spend the haunted night. (There would be absolutely nowhere to park.)

There are no rooms left. They sell out a year in advance for this shindig! Who knew? So I decided it's not worth renting a costume (or going through the trouble of making one)and not knowing how we would get there and home. I work with a doctor who is going with another couple. He thinks I should go with them as "road warriors." I was thinking more along the lines of being Scarlett O'Hara. Didn't think I could fit in a cab in my green velvet gown with the curtain rod attached to it though. So, I've decided to sell the tickets to him. He knows people who want to go and can't get tickets. I'll just stay home and eat candy corn.

Louisa

Edited by Louisa (09/29/06 09:56 PM)

#89755 - 09/30/06 02:28 AM Re: Halloween is coming! [Re: Louisa]
Pam R. Offline

I love decorating outside my house and inside! I don't know why, but I love halloween...always did. No kids here but I am looking forward to seeing what my little 4 month old granddaughter will be!! I love opening the door for all the kids in the neighborhood. They are precious. What I don't like are the teenagers that don't get dressed up and just go door to door for candy in their everyday clothes. And most of all, I can't stand when they don't say "thank you"!

We have a party, usually pizza at my office every year. Some get dressed up in costumes and others wear just a silly hat. It has always been fun and we tend to use any reason in my office to have a party!

#89757 - 09/30/06 08:37 PM Re: Halloween is coming! [Re: ]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
It is strange, because I think of myself as a bit theatrical, but I hate this holiday. Maybe it is all of the years of teaching, and kids getting hyper from all of the candy.

I simply spend the evening handing out candy and hoping it all is gone at the end of the night so that I do not gain the weight or get to hyper myself.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#89758 - 10/01/06 12:49 AM Re: Halloween is coming! [Re: Anno]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
I miss Halloween, the bwa-har-har and jack-o-lanterns! It's not the done thing here and I miss terrorising little children on the only legit day that I can. On the last Halloween we celebrated in NYC, my neighbour got all health conscious, she gave out toothbrushes instead. That really bummed out the kids. What a cracker!

#89759 - 10/01/06 04:10 PM Re: Halloween is coming! [Re: Lola]
auntiebear Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Lola...that is hilarious~toothbrushes~did she get her door egged?

"There is only one success...to be able to spend your life in your own way..."~~Christopher Morley

~I've never quite believed that one chance is all I get~

#89760 - 10/01/06 09:08 PM Re: Halloween is coming! [Re: auntiebear]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, Leslie: No egging was allowed in the building but wet paper balls did the business. I also remember someone had stuffed gum in the keyhole.

#89761 - 10/02/06 01:27 PM Re: Halloween is coming! [Re: Lola]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Pam, your office sounds like fun, but don't you all gain weight?

Louisa, act now. Get your tickets for next year and spend the night. That sounds wonderful. You've mentioned before that you like to get dressed up so I think you should go for it.

Anne, do we have to wait to see what the surprise is?

Anno, there a trick to figuring out exactly how much candy to buy so you don't have any left over...and I don't know the trick.

Lola, toothbrushes? I'm surprised she didn't have a few of them stuck in her flower pots or something.

auntiebear, I recall the eighth grade boys egging Sr. Anina's classroom windows. Can you say detention? I don't know how the nuns got to the bottom of those ordeals, but they always did.

#89762 - 10/02/06 05:19 PM Re: Halloween is coming! [Re: chatty lady]
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
Halloween has always been one of my favorite yearly events. This year, I'll be spending it with my grandkids. I'll be out with them, on their neighborhood's designated Trick or Treat evening. Of course, I'll be in costume! Then, on the 31st., I'll be home, answering the doorbell, and passing out the Treats.

I also enjoy creating online stories, starring my grandkids, and I'm happily working on one now, for their Halloween Treat...

The Fellowship of the Long Abandoned Road

www.intouchwithjeannine.com

Edited by Jeannine (10/02/06 05:24 PM)

[i]'It's never too late in Fiction-- or in Life to Revise.'
---Nancy Thayer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved