I'm posting this here so as not to cover up Humlan's thread.

As many of you know, my husband and I have a passion for Cuba. We go every year for several weeks, not as much for vacation (though it IS gorgeous there) but more to help and spend time with the dear friends we've made there over the years. We bring lots of things like medicines, toys for the children and household necessities to help our Cuban friends, many of whom have nothing, no running water, no electricity much of the time...life is very hard for these people at the best of times.

This latest hurricane, Ike, hit that area hard. Entire villages have been wiped out, probably including the one where all of our friends live. We cannot get verification of that yet, but since it's low-lying right beside the ocean, we're afraid it's been wiped out too.

I just want to lift up these beautiful, loving people in prayer. We have never met more heart-beautiful people anywhere and it grieves me to think of the devastation and destruction they face. And unlike in our part of the world, there is not much in the way of support systems or help to rebuild. They will be hungry, homeless and alone in their struggles to rebuild their lives. Please pray for these dear friends of ours. Thanks.

(Maya Angelou)