The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 177 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#199547 - 02/13/10 01:04 AM The Winter Olympics
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I have a large screen (50") TV and even though I can't be there I can see things so clearly. This is the first time in a long time I have felt any interest in watching the olympics

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#199557 - 02/13/10 05:44 AM Re: The Winter Olympics [Re: chatty lady]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
What did you like best about the Opening Ceremonies?

This morning we heard of the luge racer who died in training course at Whistler. 'Course was too fast..he was going at over 140 kms. per hr.

I will be meeting a woman tomorrow whose son is competing in Whistler. Not sure which sport. Someone I met via cycling women's internet forum.

#199559 - 02/13/10 10:04 AM Re: The Winter Olympics [Re: orchid]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Bummer. I missed it since I have had the flu for the past ten days and been in "no-thoughts" land. I don't even know whether the BBC have coverage of it. Surely, they must!

They have the sad news on the luge racer from Georgia with a report:

"Officials concluded the track was not unsafe but that the athlete "did not compensate properly" going into a bend."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic_games/vancouver_2010/luge/8513794.stm

You're so lucky your town is hosting the Winter Olympics and that Vancouver is bigger than London. What is disruption like to community life over there? My town will host the equestrian events in 2012. I am not entirely jubilant about it because it means tearing up the Royal Park in my borough...the community will also have restricted access to the parks in a few months when they start doing so.

Read your post about the exclusive transaction on purchase/sale of bottled water from Coca-Cola. My grandson intends to put up a bottled water and cold drinks stall when the Olympics hit his town in 2012. I wonder whether the same agreement with Coca-Cola would be applied over here. He has also made enquiries about setting up a stall on souvenir items and is still waiting for a reply.

#199567 - 02/13/10 07:56 PM Re: The Winter Olympics [Re: Lola]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Hope your flu is gone, Lola.

Your son is probably not too early in reserving a spot for his stand.

Hubby propped a teddy bear against my bed pillow. I bought the Teddybear, three years ago, at Whistler mountain. He attached a note to the bear's paws, "I'm homesick! Wake me up at 3:00 pm so I can see my people!"

We really wanted to see it. But wanting was not enough. We slept through, and frankly, I was glad we did, when our little "A" climbed into our bed at 7:00 am this morning.

#199578 - 02/13/10 09:21 PM Re: The Winter Olympics [Re: Edelweiss3]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
orchid, how sad to begin the Olympics with the death of an athlete. If I was competing on the luge, I don't think I'd use that course. Way to frightening to me.

I found the fiddle playing and dancing funky and fun.

#199599 - 02/14/10 04:08 AM Re: The Winter Olympics [Re: Lola]
orchid Offline

Originally Posted By: Lola
You're so lucky your town is hosting the Winter Olympics and that Vancouver is bigger than London. What is disruption like to community life over there? My town will host the equestrian events in 2012. I am not entirely jubilant about it because it means tearing up the Royal Park in my borough...the community will also have restricted access to the parks in a few months when they start doing so.

Read your post about the exclusive transaction on purchase/sale of bottled water from Coca-Cola. My grandson intends to put up a bottled water and cold drinks stall when the Olympics hit his town in 2012. I wonder whether the same agreement with Coca-Cola would be applied over here. He has also made enquiries about setting up a stall on souvenir items and is still waiting for a reply.

You know if I had any interest in past Olympics, it was the Summer Olympics. In the past 10 yrs., I only paid casual attention. Beijing I ignored it completely. You have to understand, I'm out on the bike when the weather is so good for us then in the summer.

Tearing up Royal Park, means what? For building a permanent or temporary facility? We have such a park close by that is normally used for soccer, etc. For Olympics, transformed into several pavilions and concert stage, etc. We haven't even gone yet, since the lineups have been huge. Better to do it during the week. It's right beside an elementary school and daycare. It is a headache for residents when a whole neighbourhood is transformed..since traffic has to be rerouted. Most likely some of your roads must be closed partially or set aside to deal with a wide river of pedestrians/spectators. We do now have to plot cycling in the early morning..if this rain will go away.

There have been 1,000 security cameras added all over the city for public gathering spots. Abit of controversy if the city can ensure the will be all removed. I wrote about my impressions:
http://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com/2010/02/01/duct-taping-an-olympic-host-city-for-security-2/

We have police from local cities plus all across Canada. There was a lottery held where police officers wanting to work at the olympics, had to apply and there was semi-draw or whatever. I know this via someone i know who works for the police dept. in Ontario.

Good idea your son is exploring what is required to sell certain products now. The waste of plastic bottles is an issue. I personally don't drink bottled water unless I am in a rural/isolated area and only if the water is not good-tasting, etc. My rationale is that we are fortunate to live in Canada with high probability of clean tap water in most towns and cities. It's when one goes out in the wilderness where it's important to take bottled water. When I cycle, I just put tap water in my bike water bottle.

But I'm a coffee drinker and natural juice drinker when I'm hot/exercising. It's just me. smile smile

But it's all temporary. So best to enjoy the better parts of it. I've been disappointed by several pavilions so far. Not much information..just touch screens, virtual games, snacks and some booze with info. on trade /business strengths. I wondered how earth children could enjoy this. The pavilion on Northwest Territories, Yukon and Nunavut, our 3 Canadian Arctic territories, is the best one so far.

There are many cultural events here...about 70% are ticketed, paid events. But there's other stuff, we hope to explore if we get past those line-ups. For instance, I hope to get into the art gallery here for free since this offer is part of the Olympics ...there are some exhibits (Leonardo da Vinci, West coast alternative art, etc.). Normally it costs $14.00 per person to get in.

The luge athlete death must be a terrible shock to the family. It is a risky sport.

Opening ceremonies: I liked large parts of it. It did weave iconic symbols and things about Canada...ie. the starry spirit bear...is evocative of the real and rare albino bear that exists here along the coast of British Columbia. It is not a polar bear. It is smaller and not as white. lives in the dense temperate rainforests in an area that is very wild and largely uninhabited. I also liked the evocation of salmon (very west coast and was abundant until overfishing/environmental problems), whales and then transforming into ravens, eagles ..soaring thick douglas fir trees..it really can be like that in certain areas at certan times of the year.

I also enjoyed Nellie Furtado and Bryan Adams singing their song and tapping on the virtual vibrating image of a large floor drum surface. Very cool and that motif carried over with the dancing and beating of the First Nations and aboriginal groups that came out...

We watched on tv. Did not buy tickets to see it...just 1 block down the street.

#199603 - 02/14/10 09:40 AM Re: The Winter Olympics [Re: orchid]
Lola Offline

This is my town which is at the bottom of my road.
http://www.greenwich-guide.org.uk/greenwich.htm
My property is next to the Royal Park and fronts the Heath.
http://www.johnpayne.com/area_information.html
The Royal Park will host the equestrian events in 2012
http://www.london2012.com/greenwich-park/home.html

They are not tearing down buildings but the grounds and would set up temporary fixtures for the event. Folks would be up in arms if they touch any of the buildings. Like many towns in London, Greenwich is a small and congested town. Aside from tourism, it is also host to a university. Whilst we can cope with normal activities to our town now, preparations for 2012 will significantly disrupt the quality of community life from 2011. The Olympic Committee proposes very little disruption but, they do not live here. And, I would not even begin to talk about traffic! Our roads here are single lanes in both directions with double parking on the side streets as very few have garages and park on bays on the road. Aaack!

On CCTV, we already have those here. The whole country is peppered with CCTV's. Has been for many years. So, at the very least, that's one area which they would not need to tear up the roads for to install cables and all the associated work that comes with it. A fine thing as the gas, electric and cable people already do a good job with endless roadworks. Another aaaack! to the daily life in Greenwich.

It's not my son. It's my grandson who intends to set up a stall. He is a competitive swimmer at junior level in Wales but, would be too young to try out for the Olympics in 2012 as he would only be 12. The only way he could participate on this occasion would be peripheral with hopes to making a buck in the two weeks that it is held here and in Wales.

Yep. As you say, we'll enjoy it for the short period it is held over here regardless of protestations in relation to the Royal Park. I don't think there is much anyone can do to overturn the decision but, we can at least monitor them. I've been reading your blog to learn from your experience over there. Thanks. The information you give will go a long way towards helping me as a resident of a town hosting an Olympic event.

#199604 - 02/14/10 10:06 AM Re: The Winter Olympics [Re: Lola]
Lola Offline

Happy New Year, Orchid!!!

#199608 - 02/14/10 03:38 PM Re: The Winter Olympics [Re: Lola]
orchid Offline

Wow what a greeting, Lola! smile
Gunghaggis Fat Choy!
http://www.gunghaggisfatchoy.com/blog/_archives/2010/2/2/4445087.html There's a Chinese-Canadian guy who runs a banquet every year that combines both Chinese New Year & Robbie Burns celebrations. Not sure the food is great culinary stuff but fun. (I know that R.Burns was Scottish not English.)

Your area looks lovely.What is the public transit like in your area? When I visited London over 20 years ago, we took the underground or a commuter train out near King Henry VIII's estate to tour the grounds. We enjoyed ourselves. Nearby was a medieval fair. For us, to see THAT, except for a First Nations (this is what Canadians refer to native Indians)festival / pow-wow, it looks very unusual to us.

For such narrow streets, it might be better to think of public transit and walking during that time. Which is what has happened here. We live a 15 min. walk from 2 different light rail stations (each in different directions) which is ideal to get around to the major Olympic venues which are downtown Vancouver.

Maybe your grandson should think of an environmentally friendly product to sell. That would be a great selling point.

#199626 - 02/14/10 07:47 PM Re: The Winter Olympics [Re: orchid]
orchid Offline

Lola: Re narrow streets...alot of progressive urban planners and architects are starting to in some cities here in Canada (still not many), of NOT making residential streets so wide or at least create traffic calming road desings. Otherwise it just creates more car traffic, no one wants to walk around, too dangerous for children and creates wide sprawly neighbourhoods like what one finds in suburban North America which leads to lengthy 1-2 story strip malls and yet more huge parking lots. It's a horrible feeling as a tourist when visiting such areas ..and when one is in desperate need of a quality restaurant meal. Faceless.

The unique situation of Vancouver is that its biggest Olympic venues are located in heart of downtown, whereas to my understanding London 2012 alot of venues will be out on the edge of London and in suburbs/smaller towns like your area? So this is why urban planners at this point in history, are quite interested in seeing how Vancouver handles mass events during this time and legacy, new buildings after Olympics.

Actually what is happening now, is that some of the major streets in heart of downtown have been closed off. They have installed some public art and outdoor seating where people are hanging out and having conversation. Includes people with families. It looks and feels far more human than yet another yawning strip of concret asphalt and cars.

The city is also using 2 test streetcars during the Olympics that they are providing free rides to get to a busy popular market area where there's produce, restaurants, galleries, marina, etc. At this time, the streetcars (which we haven't had them since late 1950's) are full (seats up to 180 per streetcar per ride). So you can imagine that well over 30,000 people are pouring into this market area daily during the Olympics.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved