The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 165 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#159394 - 09/10/08 12:34 PM Prayer Request for Cuban Friends
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I'm posting this here so as not to cover up Humlan's thread.

As many of you know, my husband and I have a passion for Cuba. We go every year for several weeks, not as much for vacation (though it IS gorgeous there) but more to help and spend time with the dear friends we've made there over the years. We bring lots of things like medicines, toys for the children and household necessities to help our Cuban friends, many of whom have nothing, no running water, no electricity much of the time...life is very hard for these people at the best of times.

This latest hurricane, Ike, hit that area hard. Entire villages have been wiped out, probably including the one where all of our friends live. We cannot get verification of that yet, but since it's low-lying right beside the ocean, we're afraid it's been wiped out too.

I just want to lift up these beautiful, loving people in prayer. We have never met more heart-beautiful people anywhere and it grieves me to think of the devastation and destruction they face. And unlike in our part of the world, there is not much in the way of support systems or help to rebuild. They will be hungry, homeless and alone in their struggles to rebuild their lives. Please pray for these dear friends of ours. Thanks.

(Maya Angelou)

#159396 - 09/10/08 01:09 PM Re: Prayer Request for Cuban Friends [Re: Eagle Heart]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Eagle, you certainly have my prayers for these people, God's children. We forget sometimes, I think, from the comfort of our own homes, and warm beds, that there are many people in this world who suffer greatly, and daily. Thank you for asking and I am humbled by your request.

They shall be covered in prayer. God help them!

#159397 - 09/10/08 01:12 PM Re: Prayer Request for Cuban Friends [Re: Eagle Heart]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
I will pray for them, Eagle Heart. Cuba has asked for international help too.

It's so bad in several countries. India has never had such strong monsoons.

Are you able to contact your friends at all? Not knowing how they are must be just terrible for you.

#159407 - 09/10/08 03:03 PM Re: Prayer Request for Cuban Friends [Re: Edelweiss2]
Mountain Ash Offline

Thinking of those in Cuba and pray they can rebuild .How sad to have to live through destruction.
In England floods have been severe as they were last year.People evacuated to halls and churchs.
Even if our summer has been disappointingly wet people share that at least here we have no desvestation.Our harvest has been so wet that when it is dry farmers work through the clock to combine.
I count my blessings.
Mountain ash

#159432 - 09/10/08 05:35 PM Re: Prayer Request for Cuban Friends [Re: Mountain Ash]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
EagleHeart, they have my prayers.

Poet and essayist

#159437 - 09/10/08 06:25 PM Re: Prayer Request for Cuban Friends [Re: meredithbead]
Eagle Heart Offline

Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers. Right now there is no way to contact anyone. We've tried emailing and phoning, but no responses anywhere. We assume that everyone was evacuated well before the storm hit. It's possible they're still not allowed to return. We know that our doctor friend from that area will try to contact either us or my BIL as soon as she can. Meanwhile, waiting is hard and the silence is deafening!

I have more friends there in that tiny village than I do here at home...they're very dear to my heart.

(Maya Angelou)

#159447 - 09/10/08 07:38 PM Re: Prayer Request for Cuban Friends [Re: Eagle Heart]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
I'm so sorry to hear about this.

#159711 - 09/13/08 11:20 AM Re: Prayer Request for Cuban Friends [Re: Princess Lenora]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Your right JJ, sometimes we become complacent in our warm comfortable homes while watching the rest of the world trashed by storms etc. I am one of those people. Eagle knowing the people in a village that may have been destroyed and not being able to confirm any facts, has to be earth shattering for the two of you. I am so sorry for you and for those suffering in Cuba. They didn't have that much to begin with which makes this all then more sorrowful. I will pray for them and for you.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#159723 - 09/13/08 01:14 PM Re: Prayer Request for Cuban Friends [Re: chatty lady]
Eagle Heart Offline

Thanks Chatty. We're still not able to make phone contact with our doctor friend (she's one of very few who even have a phone). And all emails are being sent back to us, including ones sent to various friends who work at three different hotels there. So there's just no way to make contact yet. We're seeing our travel agent today and will ask if she's heard anything about that area...eg, if the tour companies are diverting customers to other locations then that will give us a better idea of how badly our area's been hit.

Thanks everyone for your concern. We're safe and sound and richly blessed, so we're okay. It's our friends and adopted families that are in peril.

And of course the situation in Haiti is even more dire...

(Maya Angelou)

#159726 - 09/13/08 02:41 PM Re: Prayer Request for Cuban Friends [Re: Eagle Heart]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
My hopes and prayers are with them, also. Please keep us informed.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved