The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 110 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#85129 - 08/14/06 01:22 PM vacationing at home
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
In another post, someone asked about doing inexpensive vacations. In our paper yesterday, there was an article titled No Place Like Home. Here are some tips for taking a vacation while staying at home. The paper was The Baltimore Sun.

-watch the travel channel
-stop the mail and make an away message (never thought to do this while being at home, but I love the away message idea)
-sleep in another room
get a massage, manicure, etc.
-order out, eat in
-tour local museums
-pitch a tent and sleep in the yard (no thank you)
-send postcards to freinds
-play card and board games
-read a good book
-visit local parks

What else could we do to feel like we are vacationing in our own homes?

How about doing a jigsaw puzzle, or sitting in a lunge chair outside and reading a book in the shade?

#85130 - 08/14/06 07:42 PM Re: vacationing at home
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
I have been married for nearly 30 years and we only been on one vacation. We could never afford a real vacation in the early years of our marriage. But now, we have become such home bodies we just kick back and relax when vacation time rolls around. We sleep late, go out to eat, rent movies, work on projects around the house, go on short day trips, sit under the shade tree and talk, and just enjoy the moments, and the peace and quite of each day.

#85131 - 08/15/06 12:55 AM Re: vacationing at home [Re: Cookie]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Nice ideas!

We've also found out that when you sit 10 feet away from a 56-screen
television, and if it is a travel program "filmed in High Definition"
and "viewed in High Definition", OMgosh it is so crystal clear and
you feel like you are there....almost like having a panoramic screen
on all sides.

We are so in love with the High Def channels : )

#85132 - 08/15/06 09:27 AM Re: vacationing at home [Re: diamond50]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
My husband and I have a book on hiking routes in our area. Sometimes we just say a page number, and do that hike. Afterwards I write comments in the book on how it was. We've discovered so many beautiful sceneries in our area. Tourist pamphlets usually have great ideas as well..

#85133 - 08/15/06 04:57 PM Re: vacationing at home [Re: Edelweiss]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Didn't want to cover this thread but wanted to let you know I'll be gone for a week. Going to Napa and Tahoe for a real vacation...not business related. Yippee!

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#85134 - 08/15/06 06:38 PM Re: vacationing at home [Re: Dianne]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Oh Dianne, have a fantastic time. This definitely sounds like a real vacation to me.

Will you be meeting up with any boomers?

Diamond, we have the high def too and the other day Ross turned on the ball game and it looked like one of the video games the kids have. It was crystal clear.

Cookie, I love the idea of sleeping in. Boy would that make me feel like I'm on vacation. Great idea. The kids are all going away soon. I look forward to having chunks of time to simply relax.

Hannelore, do you and your husband enjoy most outdorr activities?

#85135 - 08/15/06 08:05 PM Re: vacationing at home
Edelweiss Offline

Have a fun fun time, Dianne ! And if you go golfing, remember to leave those driving range golf balls alone…they just don't have that "ping" sound!

Oh yes, Dotsie, you could say we enjoy outdoor activities. My husband is in great shape for a 67 year old. I'm so glad I'm 10 years younger. It's hard enough to keep up with him. On the other hand he keeps me fit, which I'm thankful for.
My work consists of at least 8 hours/day computer, so I'm glad we can still be so active to balance my life out. That's why I can post so often here…those are my little breaks from my work, since I don't have any colleagues to chat with in my office.

#85136 - 08/16/06 04:10 PM Re: vacationing at home [Re: Edelweiss]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Glad we can be of service to you! Ha.

Can you imagine if you were the same age? Do you think he was even more energetic ten years ago?

#85137 - 08/16/06 04:37 PM Re: vacationing at home
Edelweiss Offline

Well, you are all much more than a service to me...I have discovered new found friends here.

Dotsie, My Hubby was as energetic 10 years ago...he just hasn't slowed down. I got to keep telling him to just take it easy; sometimes give him a gentle push onto the patio chair and hand him a cool drink. He's always been a hard worker and usually pulls through what he plans to do. I'm pretty lucky to have found him.

#85138 - 08/17/06 12:22 AM Re: vacationing at home [Re: Edelweiss]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
VACATION! Whats a vacation??? People think because I live in Vegas I'm on the entertainment trail all the time, party, party, party... Maybe I should be but I prefer going to the lake, the pool or just visiting my friends and laughing ourselves silly. I always sleep in so thats no biggy for me, I stay up very very late and work or watch TV or just read a good Boomer book. I seem to be much more alert/sharper mentally late at night. My son always says to his friends, "meet my mother the Vampire who hates daylight." I guess a day at the kennels playing with the animals gives me the greatest pleasure and relaxes me the most...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved