Hi all,
Many of you know that Sean joined the army about 18 months ago. He is now waiting for a medical discharge due to stress fractures in both hips. He's married, no kids, living in Colorado. He seems positive though, because he can still take advantage of the GI bill for education/housing money when he is finally discharged. He's been in limbo on this hip thing for months.

Now my other son Ryan has decided to join, and went yesterday to be sworn in to the Army Delayed Entry program. He'll finish high school in early June, and ship out on July 1. He has decided to become a Medic, which will be beneficial skills in or out of the military.

My oldest joined the army due to financial strain and not knowing what to do with his life. My youngest has always wanted to join. He won't be 18 until September, so he'll be one of the youngest recruits in his units. It will be tough to send him off at such a young age, but then I have to remember that I was barely 18 when I moved out of the house and I survived. You do what you have to do.

My husband and I both encouraged college all through their childhoods, to the point of offering a free ride to college with a car to use, etc, no rent to pay - just go to school and get a degree. Neither of them was interested, though we told them how difficult it can be if you attend school later in life. But neither knew what they wanted to do, so they felt college was a waste of time.

What an interesting journey this parenting thing has been. I know it's not over, but it's evolving and I'm anxious to see where it all goes.

K