The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 184 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#206353 - 08/03/10 02:52 PM Been to a Family Reunion Lately?
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
I just got back from a family reunion in Oregon. There were 27 of us, from my husband's side of the family. It was a really nice time with no drama, which was great because that can happen occasionally.

My hubby has 4 siblings, all were there. His dad was there as well - 87 years old. Then the kids, and now 2 grandkids with another on the way. My 2 boys weren't able to make it, plus just a couple others.

My SIL has 10 acres with a pool, so there was plenty of room to roam or relax. The sisters had made up a list of teams for who was on meal prep and cleanup. Worked out great, since there were so many of us. All I had to do was help with prep Friday night, then help with clean up Saturday night. We were there for 3 full days.

My niece made up matching tie-dye shirts for all of us, white with green and orange – colors of the Irish flag. We took lots of photos; I’ll upload a few when I get time – might not be until this weekend. We didn’t do any organized games or activities, other than meal times for 3 dinners and 1 breakfast. Lunch was leftovers or on your own. There was horseshoes, swimming, but mostly lounging. I read an entire book, which was wonderful.

Have you attended a family reunion lately? With smaller families and people moving farther away, it seems like they aren’t the same as they used to be. We had a huge one every 2 years when I was a kid, but the older folks have passed away and the aunts and uncles don’t talk anymore and the cousins rarely communicate.

Tell me about your experience with family reunions!

#206355 - 08/03/10 05:38 PM Re: Been to a Family Reunion Lately? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Sounds like a great time. Now that's a long family reunion.

The only family reunions I've been to lately are funerals and one wedding.

Seems as though just getting my siblings and all our children together is reunion enough these days. This happens on Thanksgiving only. Everyone tries to make Thanksgiving.

Where did all of you stay?

#206364 - 08/03/10 06:12 PM Re: Been to a Family Reunion Lately? [Re: Dotsie]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
My SIL kids and their kids stayed at her house. Another SIL rented a vacation home nearby and is staying for a week. Her kids stayed with her. We stayed in a nearby motel. I really like having my own little place to retreat to when necessary. My BIL stayed in my sister's little camping trailer.

My side of the family just wouldn't be able to pull off much a reunion nowadays. My mom doesn't talk to her sister, so that lets her and my cousins out. Her brother is ill and can't travel (he's in Missourie) but no one likes his wife anyway. smile My dad is gone and he only has one sister left; her and that side of the family is on the east coast and we don't know most of them very well.

I only have two brothers and we each have 2 kids and no grandkids yet. Would be a small reunion!

#206365 - 08/03/10 07:27 PM Re: Been to a Family Reunion Lately? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Our family is so small we meet under a magnifying glass. Lol lol

My DIL has a huge family, and they have about two family reunions a year. We have a ball with them, because many are very musical. Every reunion ends up with us singing till in the wee morning hours.

Other than that, I have only my mom and brother. Oh yes two cousins, who I hardly ever see, and of course my own sons. I’ve invited my cousins several times to parties we have had. But the distance is great, and those times are few and far in between.

DD, You read an entire book at a family union? I don’t think that could happen to me. I gab and gab and gab…have you noticed?

#206369 - 08/03/10 09:25 PM Re: Been to a Family Reunion Lately? [Re: Edelweiss2]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Well, it's not exactly a family reunion..just a huge family gathering since I have 5 siblings.

Last time it was 21 people. Unfortunately my last visit to Ontario was not the best time to pull people together from jobs, etc.

Just in my family with their partners, children it is now 22 people. I am the only person that lives on west coast. If I include cousins and their children, spouses, I believe the figure is over 80 people.

That is just within Metro Toronto.

So the REAL family reunion, probably occurred when people attended my youngest sister's wedding a few years ago. The problem is at a wedding it's hard to talk to everyone because of seating arrangements, etc.

But that's good enough for our extended family...it's a real mixed bag because there are several interracial marriages, interracial children, plus recent immigrant relatives who can't speak English and then some Chinese blood kids who can't speak Chinese at all. (like some of my nieces and nephews)

Get it? laugh It's all one mixed up crazy family! Welcome to my world...it is genuinely linguistically, culturally and racially mixed.

#206661 - 08/09/10 01:09 AM Re: Been to a Family Reunion Lately? [Re: orchid]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
We don't get together like that in my family, which is sad. And my husband's family used to be really close, which I loved. But after his mother and oldest sister died, things have gone downhill with our get-togethers. Steve and I didn't even attend the Holmes Thanksgiving reunion this past year... Sad!!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#206687 - 08/09/10 07:37 PM Re: Been to a Family Reunion Lately? [Re: Anne Holmes]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Wew had one so many years ago I can't remember when it was. Haven't seen my sisyters, brother or mom for 19 years. NO one3 wants to fly or spend the time together I guess. I am just as bad but I have a real problem flying. I don't mind the actual plane but get anxiety attacks so bad in the airports it is debilitating.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#206716 - 08/10/10 06:52 PM Re: Been to a Family Reunion Lately? [Re: chatty lady]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
how about a train?

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#206949 - 08/18/10 12:54 PM Re: Been to a Family Reunion Lately? [Re: Anno]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
When I was a kid, my adoptive folks always had family reunions.
It seemed hundreds attended the County Park cookouts. Then when
my grandparents and parents went to be with the Lord, family reunions died with 'em. Haven't been to a reunion in decades.

Edited by jabber (08/19/10 01:11 PM)

#207326 - 09/03/10 02:05 AM Re: Been to a Family Reunion Lately? [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I woulde love to gather all of my living relatives for one last big party together but it isn't going to happen, sigh!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved