The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 179 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#54374 - 02/24/06 07:50 AM Brokeback Mountain
MaryE Offline

Ok. Brokeback Mountain is a movie, not exactly an event. Except there's been so much press and commentary about the movie, that it's become an event. So I'm interested in what all you women who've seen the movie think about it.

#54375 - 02/24/06 06:34 PM Re: Brokeback Mountain
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
MaryE, I still haven't seen it. It's on my list. I'm interested in hearing what boomer women ahve to say also.

#54376 - 02/24/06 10:55 PM Re: Brokeback Mountain
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Well, I'll jump in on this. I saw Brokeback Mountain and am really glad I did. For all the hype about it being a 'gay love story', it simply is a love story.

The movie didn't show anything that was a shocker as far as nudity or sex. It was done very discreetly.

The story focuses on how they met, had an affair then moves ahead many, many years in the future and they set a time to visit each other and find that the attraction is still there. However, they are both married with families.

I don't want to go on much more for those who haven't seen it but it is beautiful and you could have heard a pin drop throughout the theater during the entire movie. It is so beautifully written and acted that at the end I saw people leaving crying, along with myself, and many just standing not saying anything.

It is simply a beautiful, beautiful film and deserves the credit they are getting.

Hope that helps.
Sandpiper

#54377 - 02/26/06 08:08 AM Re: Brokeback Mountain
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
I haven't seen the movie. Does it make homosexuality seem natural and alright? Does it promote the act of homosexuality and make a same sex relationship seem OK or is it just a well written story?

In the past I would have refused to pay to see a movie I consider promoting something I know God hates, but I would pay to see a murder mystery and I watch CSI and other shows and movies about sex out of marriage and violence so what's the difference?? God hates murder and violence, drinking and drugs to excess and sex out of marriage too.

It seems that love is a very good thing but rules to live by are so vital to our safety and well being. God loves us so much that He sets boundaries for us just like we do for our children because we love them.

I don't know if I will go see the movie or not. Probably not.

#54378 - 02/25/06 09:13 PM Re: Brokeback Mountain
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I've wanted to see this movie but my husband refuses to go with me. I guess I'll have to wait until it comes out on DVD.

My daughter saw it and didn't like it all that much but she and I have differing views on movies. She cried during In Her Shoes, which baffled me.

#54379 - 02/25/06 10:19 PM Re: Brokeback Mountain
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I have a question about homosexuality. Why do the majority of gay men talk with a lisp? Female homosexuals don't. I've had a few gay male friends but could never work up the nerve to ask them and some of them don't talk that way but have very feminine characteristics.

#54380 - 02/25/06 10:26 PM Re: Brokeback Mountain
NewLeaf Offline

Has anyone seen 'The Notebook' with Jim Garner? I cry copiously every time I see it and I've watched it 3 times!!

#54381 - 02/25/06 10:44 PM Re: Brokeback Mountain
Sandpiper Offline

Dianne, I've never met a gay man with a lisp, so can't help you on that one.

I also understand about our children and our differing views. My daughter absolutely loves "American Beauty". I like it but am not madly in love with it. She is the one who talked me into going to see Brokeback Mountain. I didn't get to go with her the first time she saw it, but she went with me to see it. We both cried during the last half.

The movie does not make homosexuality seem any way except that they find they have something that keeps compelling them to meet with each other once a year. It does not promote homosexuality or same sex relationships. Matter of fact both men are married throughout most of the film.

I think it is just a very well written love story that shows how you do not pick whom you fall in love with. However, they never say they are in love with each other. They, matter of fact, struggle with this situation throughout the entire film. It really is a great film and on that should touch on the heart about two people caught in a situation they do not know how to end.

Hope that helps.
Sandpiper

#54382 - 02/25/06 10:45 PM Re: Brokeback Mountain
Sandpiper Offline

I am sorry, that last part was in response to Number 5's questions. Sorry to have not put your name in the other post, number 5.

Sandpiper

#54383 - 02/26/06 12:06 AM Re: Brokeback Mountain
NewLeaf Offline

Dianne,

I've wondered that myself! Could it be an adopted characteristic based on the idea that to be feminine the male has to 'sound' (to their thinking) feminine?? It seems in the same sex situation there is a 'male' and a 'female'. Why is that??!! It's almost as if the couple is trying to imitate a heterosexual relationship. Its all very confusing to me.

Or, maybe in that culture the tongue thrust is a sexual symbol??? Don't want to be gross,,,

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved