The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 153 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#47282 - 05/09/03 04:11 PM Urgent plea for recipe help
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
I am making deserts for this weekend and the recipe I have calls for

fromage frais or Vanillla Fruche

and

lemon fromage fraise or lemon fruche

It calls for these in the low-fat or light variety. Anyone have any idea what this stuff looks like and where I could get it? Thanks

#47283 - 05/09/03 08:08 PM Re: Urgent plea for recipe help
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I have to laugh. I love the fact that I am not the only one who reads recipes and thinks...what the heck is that?

I checked my handy-dandy FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION that my hubby gave me back in 1990. This is my source for finding out what these goofy ingredients are.

fraise is the french word for strawberry
fromage is the french word for cheese

Sounds good to me.

Sorry but fruche isn't even in the book!

Share the recipe if it turns out, but please post it in English! [Big Grin]

#47284 - 05/09/03 08:11 PM Re: Urgent plea for recipe help
Candice Johnson Offline

I won't even be doing this recipe since I have called several specialty stores in this area and they have never even heard of these types of cheeses (not even the very ritzy Dean and Deluca cheese guy). So I will just make a regular cheesecake without the strawberry, vanilla, or lemon cheese. Maybe I'm suppose to actually make the different cheese, but it doesn't say that in the recipe, and I don't think I'll try it this time.

#47285 - 05/13/03 06:32 PM Re: Urgent plea for recipe help
swimbo56 Offline

Loc: Towson, MD
Southern Living has some wonderful cheesecake recipes. My son recently made 4 different ones from there and they were gone before the event was even 1/2 over. My favorite of these and the one I've become famous for is their "Chocolate Cheesecake" recipe, from yearbook 1981!! I found it in the magazine and have been making it ever since. Now both my sons can and do make it. You can even use low or no fat ingredients, but it does taste best with the real stuff. I often serve with strawberries or raspberries on top/side.

#47286 - 05/13/03 06:35 PM Re: Urgent plea for recipe help
swimbo56 Offline

If you are looking for excellent cheesecake recipes look at Southern Living. My son recently made 4 different ones to accolades. One of those was our families favorite, "Chocolate Cheesecake" published in their 1981 book. I am now requested to bring and it has become a family tradition. I often serve with strawberries or raspberries on the top/side. It can be made with low or non-fat ingredients but does taste best with the real thing.

#47287 - 05/13/03 06:36 PM Re: Urgent plea for recipe help
swimbo56 Offline

Oops thought I'd lost the first one, please forgive the reverberation.

#47288 - 05/13/03 08:33 PM Re: Urgent plea for recipe help
Candice Johnson Offline

The one I made was just from the Betty Crocker Web site and it turned out pretty good alittle dry on the edges, but very tasty with strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries. I really like cheesecake and will try the chocolate one you mentioned from Southern Living. Does anyone know if there are any sugar free cheesecake recipes?

#47289 - 05/19/03 10:49 PM Re: Urgent plea for recipe help
Spock53 Offline

Loc: Vulcan, Alberta, Canada
Hi to all,
I was just reading the problem about the French words in your recipe. Here is a helpful site to have on hand for this problem.
http://humanities.uchicago.edu/forms_unrest/FR-ENG.html

Frais means fresh.
I was born and raised in Quebec so I have a bit of french but not much left after living out west for 30 years. I keep this site and http://dictionary.reference.com

on my favourites just in case.

#47290 - 05/20/03 03:50 AM Re: Urgent plea for recipe help
Candice Johnson Offline

And here I thought I was doing a good thing by taking Spanish instead of French in school. Thanks for the help and now that I know what it all is, it's just a matter of finding a place that sells it. When Dean and Deluca have never heard of it, I start to think there is no hope.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved