The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 171 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#48517 - 06/28/06 03:47 AM Blueberry Cake
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
It's blueberry season! Here is a good cake recipe to make use of those fresh blueberries.

Blueberry Cake With Streusel Topping

Streusel:
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, cold

6 Tablespoons butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup milk
2 cups fresh blueberries

Place the dry streusel ingredients in a food processor bowl. Drop in butter and pulse until small crumbs form. This can be done in a bowel with a pastry blender too. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg, and beat well. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture alternating with the milk & vanilla. Mix well. Stir in the blueberries by hand. Spread the batter evenly in an oiled 8-inch square cake pan. Spoon the streusel topping evenly over the batter, and bake for 40-45 minutes. Let cake cool for 15 minutes and then cut into squares and serve warm.

#48518 - 08/25/06 03:55 AM Re: Blueberry Cake [Re: Cookie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Tried this and it is soooo good and big fat blueberries are in season right now. Girls this is to die for!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#48519 - 08/25/06 02:14 PM Re: Blueberry Cake [Re: chatty lady]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
This sounds soooo delicious! I think everybody pretty much knows I'm not a cook. No, no...don't stop me...you know it's true. Now, here's my question. Why do cooks use all-purpose flour,then salt, baking powder etc...instead of using self-rising that has it all in there? I'm just curious.

#48520 - 08/25/06 03:10 PM Re: Blueberry Cake [Re: jawjaw]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
That cake sounds so yummy and will have to copy this off and try it . We can still get blueberries in the store these day . yummy and thanks for sharing

Renee

#48521 - 08/25/06 04:34 PM Re: Blueberry Cake [Re: jawjaw]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
JJ, I guess you can use self rising flour if you prefer because it is suppose to be a convience to the baker. But I don't like to use it because it can deteriorate quickly when exposed to humid conditions or is left on the shelf to long. Baking powder can lose it's "poof" action after amount of time and your product will not rise properly. Same goes for the small can of baking powder that you have in your house. Here's a test to see if your baking powder is still good. You can check for the "strength" of baking powder by putting a 1/4 teaspoon in the palm of your hand and drizzling in some warm water---like a Tablespoon or so. It should vigorously foam and bubble immediately. The longer it takes to react to the water, the older and less powerful it is.

#48522 - 08/25/06 08:14 PM Re: Blueberry Cake [Re: Cookie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Wow...good tip! If and when we have our Boomer Convention, I think you and Chatty should tag team and have a booth where you sell what you bake. Girl...I'd be standing in line every few minutes just to get something....YUM!

#48523 - 08/26/06 02:26 AM Re: Blueberry Cake [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Great answer Cookie, and even greater idea JJ, I'm game if Cookie is! We can be the BAKER BABES....

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved