The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 179 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#213837 - 07/16/11 12:30 AM The end of the Harry Potter books and movies
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I haven't seen the last installment of the Harry Potter movies yet. Think I will wait until next week to try seeing it at the movies.

Has anyone seen it yet?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#213840 - 07/16/11 03:15 PM Re: The end of the Harry Potter books and movies [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Anne,
I read one Harry Potter book and half of a second, but couldn't
get into them. If Bill O'Reilly hadn't said one time he couldn't
understand the infatuation, I would've began to worry: Likes,what's wrong with me? I guess it's just a matter of taste.
Actually I've only seen excerpts of various televised HP movies.
I don't get into those scripts where folks look at a painting
and then the painting takes on a life of its own. Don't know why?

#213843 - 07/16/11 09:58 PM Re: The end of the Harry Potter books and movies [Re: jabber]
Boomer in Chief

Hey Jabber,

I agree with Bill O'Reilly, no worries if you never got into the Harry Potter books.

At first I was not sure what you are meaning about paintings that take on a life of their own - but then I realized that - IN THE HP MOVIES - there were scenes in which the portraits on the school stairways would animate and speak to the students -- or at least to the audience watching the movie.

In fact, that never happened in the books. It was just a visual contrivance of the movie producers. Just as the complex Hogwarts stairways in the movie were not discussed in the books.

I enjoyed the books, though I never became an HP fanatic. But then I also enjoyed the CS Lewis book series that began with "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe," and the Tolkien books.

I think the true underlying theme of the HP books really was about the importance of love. After all, Harry is an orphan who is not loved by his aunt and uncle who also abuse him, but he finds love, acceptance and a meaningful life at Hogwarts.

Just my thoughts...

Edited by Anne Holmes (07/16/11 09:58 PM)
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#213846 - 07/17/11 01:36 PM Re: The end of the Harry Potter books and movies [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

In the Articles of Narnia the painting takes on life and I was certian some of that occurred in these HP books, too. An entire supernatural village, with dizzying imagination of flight on a broomstick is a bit much for me. Dragon eggs are fun. Life with the Dursleys is not. I read the Sorcerer's Stone and half of The Prisoner of Azkaban. The names Hermione, Crabbe, Goyle, and Pettigrew turned me off but I suppose it's just me??? Most of the world loved 'em and that's great for J. K. Rowling!!!

#213852 - 07/17/11 05:32 PM Re: The end of the Harry Potter books and movies [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Ooops I guess that's "The Chronicles of Narnia"; sorry!

Edited by jabber (07/17/11 05:33 PM)

#213859 - 07/18/11 01:12 PM Re: The end of the Harry Potter books and movies [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

This HP series is really an awesome success, no matter how you
look at it. And it's brought millions of people hours and hours
of happiness. So that's the important thing. Writers write to
give others enjoyment, IMHO!

#213863 - 07/18/11 08:54 PM Re: The end of the Harry Potter books and movies [Re: jabber]
Boomer in Chief

Since I've already watched Oprah interview JK Rowling in the past year, you can bet I'll be watching that Lifetime movie on JK Rowling later this week.

I have to admit, I am quite taken by the fairy tale story of her life: As I understand it, she's a Brit who moves to Portugal in her 20s, marries and has a child. Her husband physically abuses her while she is holding her child. She leaves him and returns to England, taking only herself, the child and the notebooks of stories she has been writing. Once in England, she becomes a single mother on welfare, who writes in coffee shops, the child sitting by her side in a stroller. Then the books catch fire, and she become one of the world’s wealthiest women.

Sounds like a fairy tale in itself, but it is true.

I think any woman who once spun her own tales of fantasy to her children, as I did when my kids were young, can imagine herself in this scenario.

Here's a link to see more about the Lifetime movie, "Magic Beyond Words: The JK Rowling Story

I know it is an unauthorized story, as Rowling is very private, but I'll be watching anyway...

Edited by Anne Holmes (07/18/11 09:00 PM)
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#213872 - 07/19/11 08:34 AM Re: The end of the Harry Potter books and movies [Re: Anne Holmes]
Mountain Ash Offline

JK Rowling did indeed write in coffee shops/cafes...as a single Mother...in Edinburgh.The cafe has many visitors due to this.
Apart from that she supported her own Mother who had MS as a young girl.She gives generously to research.She worked from an early age...cleaning her local church..
It certainly is a wonderful story.
One thing her books have done is interest many young ppeople to read..I have heard of several young boys who once they read the first story started to enjoy books.Also the wearing of spectacles has become less bother since Harry came on the scene...so says my optician.

#213876 - 07/19/11 01:14 PM Re: The end of the Harry Potter books and movies [Re: Mountain Ash]
jabber Offline

I agree! A ton of good has come from this. And I do admire
JK Rowling! It is an awesome story!

#214115 - 08/01/11 10:24 PM Re: The end of the Harry Potter books and movies [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
WOW! Thix author is a genius and to think she almost didn't get discovered at all. My hats off to J.K. Rowlings and her genius. I wonder if she will write any more books?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved