The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 198 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#125936 - 08/17/07 09:08 PM Tub Troubles
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Hey friends,

I have one of those tubs that are really hard to clean...I think larry told me it's fiberglass. He freaks whenever he finds out I've used comet on it but I swear it's the only thing I can use that gets it halfway clean. It has itty bitty bumps on the bottom (to keep one from slipping, I supposed) and it's in these areas that's hardest. When I step in the tub with a dirty foot, I'll get out and the dirt is in the tub material...it takes a lot of scrubbing to get it out and even then it's not 100% rid of it. I've never seen anything like it. Even after I scrub and scrub with comet it still looks dingy. Any ideas oh wise homemakers on how to get my tub sparking bright?

#125937 - 08/17/07 09:56 PM Re: Tub Troubles [Re: Dee]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Have you tried lemon juice or soaking it with bleach?

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#125938 - 08/17/07 10:06 PM Re: Tub Troubles [Re: Dianne]
Dee Offline

Tried the bleach...nothing...

Tell me more about the lemons, Dianne

#125939 - 08/17/07 11:06 PM Re: Tub Troubles [Re: Dee]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
I use liquid SoftScrub, and scrub it with a kitchen scouring pad. The kind of pads that are half sponge and half scrubber. It worked great for me. I tried bleach on my tub too and it didn't work. Bleach seemed like it would have been the thing to do the trick too, but it wasn't. Don't know what the difference would be between softscrub and bleach because they are both a bleach. I like to know about the lemons also. I bet it would smell lemony fresh!

#125940 - 08/17/07 11:26 PM Re: Tub Troubles [Re: Cookie]
Dee Offline

Cookie...I've tried softscrub idea and scouring pad. Maybe between the softscrub and lemon juice I may get somewhere. If nothing else my bathroom will smell like lemonaid.

#125941 - 08/18/07 02:10 AM Re: Tub Troubles [Re: Dee]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
There is a product called BAM, that will clean the old lookoff of anything. My tubs sparkle and I have that same plastic material stuff...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#125942 - 08/18/07 06:15 AM Re: Tub Troubles [Re: chatty lady]
Dee Offline

I'll have to try that Chatty.

#125943 - 08/18/07 12:41 PM Re: Tub Troubles [Re: Dee]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
We had the tub in my bathroom painted to change the color from almond to white, when we remodeled my bathroom.. This was done by a professional guy with a sprayer and a paint made for this purpose. You can't tell it was painted......it looks like a brand new white tub. I asked the guy what to use to clean it, because I was concerned about creating scratches or messing it up. He told me absolutely no abrasive cleansers like Comet or BonAmi. He said any liquid cleaner would be ok. My tub has those itty bitty bumps too.......in strips, to help keep you from slipping in there I guess. I've found that Pinesol really cleans it quick and leaves it shiny. It seems to remove the soap scum and whatever without a whole lot of effort on my part. I've also used those Clorox cleaning wipes with good results (was afraid to use straight bleach because I worried that it would eat right thru the paint). It's been over a year now and the tub still looks good as new.
Hmmmm I may try the lemon juice one of these days to see how it does.......then my bathroom can smell like lemons instead of a pine forest...........

P.S. I picked up one of those battery operated Sonic Scrubbers on a clearance rack and let me tell you -- that thing really does a number on cleaning grout. The stall shower in my husband's tiny bathroom never really dries out and the grout gets icky quick. This thing makes cleaning it a heck of a lot easier. I've used it on the grout on my kitchen tile floor too and was amazed at the amount of dirt that came up and how much better it looked afterwards! It would probably work well on those gritty parts of the tub, too.

Edited by CrosstitchQueen (08/18/07 12:46 PM)

#125944 - 08/18/07 03:10 PM Re: Tub Troubles [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Cut a lemon in half and use it like a scrubber. You can also add kitchen salt to make it more abrasive. It works as a bleach but naturally and you're right, it smells wonderful. Instead of harsh chemicals on shower heads, put lemon juice in a ziploc bad and put the shower head in the bag and wrap a rubberband around the top of the bag and let set for a few hours. You can buy bottled lemon juice too.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#125945 - 08/18/07 03:44 PM Re: Tub Troubles [Re: Dianne]
gerrbeck Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Dee, I have one of those hard to clean tubs too.
My suggestion is to spray it down good with some Clorox Cleanup spray and let it sit for a bit, go in rinse first and then scrub with soft scrub. Also, did this once when I had run out of the clorox cleanup, I had some of that toilet bowl cleaner w/bleach, the thick gel that clings, I squirted some in the tub, coated the tub with it, let it soak and it was sooo clean.

I have to admit, I am curious about the lemon and salt, because lately I am thinking I am tired of harsh chemicals and want to try more eco friendly ways of cleaning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved