The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 177 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#35060 - 05/10/06 05:40 PM packrat
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I was reading an article about packrats this morning and thought it might be a good topic for discussion in here.

I am not a packrat, but Mom was. My kids may think I am becasue I save every card I think any of us have ever received. Well, almost. It's crazy, but I love to look back over them. Especially sitting in front of the fire in the middle of winter.

I remember cleaning out Mom and Dad's house before they moved to their apartment. It took all five kids and some of our children to go through everything. While I thought it was crazy that Mom had saved so much, I have to admit, it was fun reliving our childhoods. We found old school projects, prom gowns, uniforms with signatures all over them, diaries from elementary school, etc.

What do you keep that you no longer use, but can't seem to part with?

I can't stand that feeling of trying to get rid of something, but never knowing f I might regret throwing or giving it away.

#35061 - 05/10/06 08:43 PM Re: packrat
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Dotsie...like you...I have kept every card or note or poem that I have ever received...I have about a dozen large boxes of them in my basement...I have also saved all of my kids report cards and awards along with anything they have ever written...our school ditrict sends home their "Writing Folders" at the end of each school year...I love going over them and reading about what they thought about things in say, first grade as opposed to 7th or 10th grades...I have also saved infant clothes...or especially cute little jackets ...my duaghters were gymansts and cheerleaders...and every special meet or competition they enetered they received tee shirts,,,I saved them also...i plan someday to incorporate them into quilts...I also saved lots of their toys and books and hope to pass them on to my grandchildren (someday soon please God)...so there you have it...I guess you could say I'm your typical packrat!!.. [Smile]

#35062 - 05/10/06 10:16 PM Re: packrat
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
I haven't kept every card, but I do have many things from my son's growing up years. One year a teacher had every child write a note to every other child telling them why they like them. I have a construction paper Christmas stocking filled with notes that say things like: "Keith, I like you because you play good tether ball. I like you because you always let me go first. I like you because your nice. I like you because you have big muscles (in the 2nd grade?) I like you because you always let me play baseball."

I don't keep too much and I'm constantly weeding things out. When my mother passed away and we cleaned out her house, she still had all the clothes from special occasions, such as the dress she wore to my h.s. graduation. I don't have any clothing from my past. I think one reason I wouldn't keep things is that my son couldn't care any less about sentimental keepsakes.

Daisygirl

#35063 - 05/11/06 05:31 AM Re: packrat
almostangel Offline

Loc: Kansas City
I created a scrapbook of sorts for both my boys that contain special items or cards that will bring fond memories to them when they are older.
I also have a little box that my youngest made for me when he was in the 4th grade. The box is wrapped and has a card glued to it that says
" This is a special gift that you can never see. The reason it's so special is it's just for you from me. Whenever you are lonely or even feeling blue. You only have to hold this gift and know I think of you. You never can unwrap it, Please leave the ribbon tied. Just hold this box close to your heart, it's filled with love inside.

#35064 - 05/12/06 12:52 AM Re: packrat
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Blondi, our kids had writing folders in elementary schools. I saved them. I guess I've saved more paper than anything.

Daisy, I don't hang onto clothes either. There are a couple of the kids outfits I wished I had saved, but at least I have pictures of them in the clothes.

almost, that's something I hope to do in my empty nest. I have a big box for each of them with with old drawings, writings, notes, cards, report cards, etc. I hope to create some sort of book in chronological order for them one day!
That box is a keeper!

#35065 - 05/12/06 01:58 AM Re: packrat
downdog Offline

Loc: kansas
I did the box thing too (I say did because my youngest just had her last day of highschool today and I don't know how much I'll be adding to their boxes from now on). I think it's easiier for me to go through their boxes (although I don't much) than it is to look at old picture albums. Wonder why? I'm an in/out person. Stuff comes in, stuff goes out immediately, but I did save lots of school papers, projects for each girl. No clothes, but some special toys, books. A couple of Barbies.

#35066 - 05/12/06 02:30 AM Re: packrat
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
I'm not a packrat at all, but each of my kids has a keepsake box...Jim and I do, too

#35067 - 05/12/06 09:25 PM Re: packrat
Dotsie Offline
Founder

downdog, last day of high school. How's it going? Mine have a couple more weeks, but in theri minds, they're out of there!

Bluebird, do you keep it for them?

#35068 - 05/12/06 09:27 PM Re: packrat
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Katy, my oldest, has her box now, but the rest are still in my house (as are most of the kids!). If they move out and want them, I will be thrilled to give it to them. If not, I will keep them.

I put in end of year report cards, class pics, baptismal stuff, cards I got when they were born, hospital bracelets, etc.

#35069 - 05/14/06 03:26 AM Re: packrat
downdog Offline

Loc: kansas
Dotsie, it's going okay. She has graduation on Wednesday, ask me then how I'm holding up!

She wanted to do one of those really elaborate scrapbooks (and expensive), so we went through her box yesterday. We both had alot of fun reading the papers, looking at the drawings...I'm glad I saved all the stuff that I did. She's using some of the stuff in her scrapbook.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved