The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 154 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#191558 - 10/12/09 04:28 PM Cookbook software?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I have a ton of recipes that I'd like to soemhow get organized on my computer. Is there software to make this easier? Does anyone know? Thanks.

#191566 - 10/12/09 04:55 PM Re: Cookbook software? [Re: Dotsie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama

#191568 - 10/12/09 05:03 PM Re: Cookbook software? [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Has anyone used any of this software.

How do you make your own software...pardon my ignorance.

Does anyone else use their pc to store recipes?

#191626 - 10/12/09 11:52 PM Re: Cookbook software? [Re: Dotsie]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
An excellent topic/question!

Jawjaw, do you know what some of this software does? I guess I just can't be bothered to review the websites.

So far, we use our real cookbook collection from the our home library... I have a ton of magazines..which I should discard because alot of those recipes are on epicurious.com, Eating Well and Cooking Light magazines. However since Gourmet magazine no longer exists, I'm hanging onto my precious 5-6 Gourmet mags.

And for other recipes found online, sometimes I:
* virtual bookmark them
*highlight, copy and paste them into a Word doc. or into an email to myself. (one can store them in a personal file folder in Outlook)

I'm using the latter more often. He also keeps his favourite recipes online too.

A real jumble, not necessarily efficient way. That's why if there are a few recipes that we really like, we each memorize our favourite ones that we each enjoy preparing occasionally.

And use them as launch pad for variations. Most of the cooking that he and I each do, is from memory and creativity.

meanwhile our cookbook collection takes up space.....hmmmm. We have about 20 of them. But I like the photos!!

For instance tonight's Thanksgiving dinner (Canada celebrates it earlier), it's all from our heads based on real recipes which we no longer consult:

*Tomato appetizer with smoked trout. (He invented this. I have no clue what it will taste like but we like smoked trout)
*Carrot and celery root soup with dill (His variation)
*Foccacia with smoked salmon, goat cheese & dill (My variation)
*Foaccacia with sundried tomato, basil and capers. (My variatin)
*Scallop dish...(his invention. It'll be pan-seared but I have no clue what the end result will be.)
Bought gourmet cake & wine.

laugh

#191629 - 10/13/09 01:00 AM Re: Cookbook software? [Re: orchid]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
I use epicurious.com now and then -- especially when I'm using a new ingredient, am stumped, or want to try something different -- and love it! When I find something I like, I print it out and store in a box in the kitchen, so it's handy. I used to try to keep recipes on the computer but just don't find it all that convenient.

#191654 - 10/13/09 02:43 PM Re: Cookbook software? [Re: DJ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Interesting. I'm hoping the computer will help me get organized because my recipe book is overflowing. I had a book that was organized by food categories. Many are written in the book (it's a 3 ring binder) but I've added tons of recipes printed from the forums, pulled from magazines, etc. It's a mess! It's so full that the front cover broke off and now they are all smeared over the lower cabinet where I keep them. Yuck.

I'm down to about eight recipe books. I purged them last year. I realized that many of the cookbooks I was keeping only had a few recipes in each that I used. I copied them into my book and got rid of them. Now I want to get all of them organized on my computer.

One of the reasons I'm being moved to do this is because my daughter has said that she's going to need them when she moves.

#192015 - 10/18/09 12:07 AM Re: Cookbook software? [Re: Dotsie]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: Dotsie
One of the reasons I'm being moved to do this is because my daughter has said that she's going to need them when she moves.

That would be powerful incentive. Does your daughter cook occasionally now? My mother is a control freak re her kitchen. The only time she is happy to let any of us take over kitchen to prepare food, was for baking. Since she knew she wasn't much of a baker.

The way how I learned was to help prepare/cook parts of the whole meal. So all the stuff from mother was passed on from her to everyone else by observation, doing (under her eye) and memory.

#192685 - 10/27/09 03:47 PM Re: Cookbook software? [Re: orchid]
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Dotsie,

Heritage Makers has a wire-bound book cookbook. You could take all your receipes and create your own cookbook! How fun would that be?

You could also have several copies made to give to kids, family, friends, etc.

I am getting ready to start mine....I am sick of scraps of receipes all over creation!!!!

Danita

My most recent story for my mom:
http://www.heritagemakers.com/projectBro...tSponsor=384221

#193656 - 11/10/09 07:32 PM Re: Cookbook software? [Re: Danita]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

orchid, she does and so does my eldest. I always cooked and baked when the kids were growing up, and they were able to help if they ever wanted. Two out of three cooks isn't bad. Funny, our youngest hardly knew how to boil an egg by the time he left home. He had no interest at all in cooking.

My oldest is an incredible cook. He doesn't use recipes. He creates. He has a good feeling for what spices go together and he takes chances, which usually work well. At 24 he is already known as a great cook among family and friends. In fact, he's the biggest threat for our family Thanksgiving Cook Off Dinner where everyone creates a dish. Great fun.

Danita, tell me about this cookbook. Can you put the recipes online, then create the book? I'm confused.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved