The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 116 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#180155 - 04/14/09 03:39 PM The Soaps
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Mom was a stay at home mom. I recall her watching Days of Our Lives day in and day out. She rarely missed it. I wasn't a big TV watcher so I never got dragged into it, but two sisters did. I recall them talking about the characters as though they were best friends. What a hoot.

Anyone watch any soaps these days?

Oh, when she was sick and in the hospital, a friend brought her the Soap magazine/rag. You would have thought they brought her the moon!

#180170 - 04/14/09 06:58 PM Re: The Soaps [Re: Dotsie]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
The British have "Eastenders" which I used to watch. It's quite popular here and my sister in NYC watched it as well, although the show was two or three episodes behind. She was soooooooo hooked and would phone me when she was left with cliffhangers, which I had so much fun with because, I would take liberties with the plot and give her an entirely different version to what really happened. Only for her to find out otherwise. I've actually killed off characters. LOL!

#180371 - 04/16/09 10:20 PM Re: The Soaps [Re: Lola]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I miss East Enders as well...I remember them fondly. My soap is Guiding Light but I must admit the story lines are weak, thus it's being canceled. It was the first soap and has run for seventy something years...wow...awesome. I will miss it thought and have to admit I haven't found any other soap I care to watch. I got hooked on GL when I lived in Germany. During lunch all the women would head to the club where there was a big screen TV and we'd watch our soap...we were about 3 months behind but when I returned to the states I was hooked.
I wish I could find East Enders on my TV here...I get certain BBC shows but not that. frown

#180378 - 04/16/09 10:51 PM Re: The Soaps [Re: Dee]
Lola Offline

Okaaaay, Dee. What did you miss? I can fill you in. Promise...no tricks like I played on my sister.

Yep. The people of Albert Square still go over to the Queen Vic's for a pint.

#180391 - 04/17/09 01:26 AM Re: The Soaps [Re: Lola]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I haven't watched soaps in years. I think the last one I watched was Coronation St (is that still on, Lola?) My mom was a devoted fan and loved Ena Sharples. There is a DVD out with the first few episodes - in black and white - and my partner got hooked! LOL I think it was on over here for a while, but it isn't now, at least not where I can watch it.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#180395 - 04/17/09 06:11 AM Re: The Soaps [Re: yonuh]
Lola Offline

Yep, Yonuh. And, like "guvs" in Albert Square, "chucks" still go over to the Rover's for a pint. smile

#180438 - 04/18/09 02:47 AM Re: The Soaps [Re: Lola]
Dee Offline

Lola and Yonuh
OMGosh...I forgot about Coronation street. I miss that, too. I absolutely loved The Vicer of Dibley (Alice and Hugo are my favorite characters). Are You Being Served. Waiting For God, what was the one that had Margo and Richard? Can't think of Margo's husband's name or Richard's wife's name. Richard gave up working to make a living out of the land in a cul-de-sac...that was funny. and there was an Australian soap called Neighbors...I enjoyed that one, too. You can probably tell it was years ago when I lived in England. The first memory I have of England is when I got off the plane on the flightline at RAF Mildenhall at night and the air was filled with coal-burning from fireplaces. I couldn't see England but I could smell it and it was like coming home. I'll never forget it.

#180439 - 04/18/09 06:08 AM Re: The Soaps [Re: Dee]
Lola Offline

It was called "The Good Life", Dee. They have been showing re-runs of it lately. As a matter of fact, it was on last night. As well as "House of Elliott".

My daughter loved "Neighbours" when she was a teenager and is married to a man who still holds a torch for Kylie Minogue. LOL!. The show is still on here.

Did you catch that episode when Alice and Hugo got married? The Vicar eventually married as well. "The Vicar of Dibley" was one of my fave programmes and I waited for the exchange of jokes between Alice and the Vicar before the credits rolled.

Oh yeeees, I remember coal burning from when I attended secondary school here. The soot from it was most unpleasant and soiled our white gloves on school journeys to London. Thank goodness, someone was clever enough to invent central heating. LOL!

#180451 - 04/18/09 02:35 PM Re: The Soaps [Re: Lola]
Dee Offline

Lola...The good Life...oh, yes!!! I never saw House of Elliott...does it come on BBC?

Oh, yes...Alice and Hugo's wedding...so funny. I, too, love the jokes at the end told over a cup of tea...poor Alice...she just never got them did she? They could not have picked a better person to play Alice...she's so funny. I watched the anniversary show they did where all the actors talked about their character and those of their fellow actors...The guy who played Jim (no no no no no no no yes)...so funny. Poor guy was a pervert...then Owen...his unusual love for animals...not in a good way...LOL, and well, I could go on and on. So funny. I realized that 3 people in that show went on to be in the Harry Potter films. Owen was the minister of ? something...can't remember. Dawn French was the Pink Lady (photo into the Gryfendor's common room), and there is one more person but he/she doesn't come to mind at the moment...pretty cool, eh?

#180622 - 04/21/09 02:51 PM Re: The Soaps [Re: Dee]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lola, what a hoot. I'm sure she eventually caught on, but what fun.

Dee, I never watched it, but wonder if you liked Mitch? I think that was his name on the show. He is best friends with my cousin. No lie.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved