The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 156 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#34820 - 07/15/05 11:21 AM house cleaning
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
OK, it finally happened.

I have a house cleaner!!! (the human kind, not new brillo pads)

WHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

She was recommended by one of the women in my class. She cleaned 5 hours on Wednesday and 5 more today, and is coming back in 2 weeks (for one day, here on in).

I am SOOOO happy! I've been wanting this for so long, but wasn't sure I had the money. I decided: I WILL MAKE THAT MONEY and give this treat to myself, cuz I deserve it.

I hate cleaning. This will be a good thing.

[Cool] [Cool] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Smile] [Big Grin] [Razz]

#34821 - 07/15/05 04:40 PM Re: house cleaning
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Way to go, Meredith...I applaud you for allowing yourself to treat yourself like this...you absolutely deserve it and I celebrate with you your decision to go with it.

Now, I hope you're not like my mother. After Dad died, we had to move Mom into an apartment. Mom was never a good housekeeper. (In fact, I lived my own Cinderella story; being the only girl, it all fell to me...I had to wash all the day's dishes [including pots and pans] for the entire family of 6 by myself almost every night from the year I turned 9 until I left home at 18...unfortunately I am NOT exaggerating! It used to take me about two hours every night!)

Anyway, sorry to digress into that wee pity party there, Meredith! After a couple of months of seeing what Mom would and couldn't do, we decided to get a cleaning lady in to clean Mom's apartment. But Mom insisted on cleaning BEFORE the lady got there, so as not to be embarassed...but what happened is that my brother, hubby and I were the ones who had to do that pre-cleaning cleaning!

In the end we decided it wasn't worth it, cancelled the cleaning service and the three of us did it all. It was a lot of extra work, especially since my job was very stressful and entailed a LOT of overtime, including almost every weekend and callbacks from vacations. A cleaning lady would have life so much easier.

If anything ever happened to hubby (an ex-firefighter who LOVES doing housework and does most of it here, with my blessing [Big Grin] ), I wouldn't hesitate to get someone in to help!

#34822 - 07/15/05 11:01 PM Re: house cleaning
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Meredith, I'm happy for you. I know you've been working towards this for some time. Yahoo. The time has finally come!

We have a friend who cleans every other week. Dallas, I have to admit we do a little picking up before she comes. We joke about cleaning for the cleaning lady too. I begin telling my kids they need to pick up thier rooms on Sunday. She comes Tuesday.

Meredith, you will love the feeling you have when she leaves and the house is ALL clean at the same time. Life feels orderly for a day!

#34823 - 07/16/05 12:26 AM Re: house cleaning
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
I am so jealous! I would love a cleaning lady, maybe once I am re-employed???

I am very happy for you Meredith and that all over house clean feeling is like no other particularly when someone else did it.

Gotta love it.

Lynn

#34824 - 07/17/05 12:59 AM Re: house cleaning
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
Hurray Meredith! I had to give up my cleaning lady when I retired!

#34825 - 07/19/05 06:12 AM Re: house cleaning
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
For years, whenever I saw the topic "what would you do if you had a million $$$... or won the lottery... or even had an extra thou-..." my first thought was always "housecleaner."

Forget the fancy toys, the luxury vacations et al; I want service! And time, which is so precious.

No, I didn't clean the house first. That's why I'm paying someone, but I did put away some of the clutter. However, I had to control myself to not look over her shoulder to make sure she was doing it right [Roll Eyes]

Allegedly, my husband has done half the cleaning, but that's only after MONTHS and the house looks like hell, and then he only manages to do 1/3. I work at home (mostly) and it's so much more peaceful when everything looks nice.

Eagle Heart, not to bust in on YOUR pity party (I brought shiny cardboard hats. [Razz] I brought cheap party favors and cheaper candy! [Razz] ) but did you steal my story GF?? From about the same ages you mentioned, I had to wash dishes every night for the family of 6, and I was not allowed to go anywhere or do anything until they were done. The night of my senior prom, we finished dinner 30 minutes before my date was due to arrive, and I had to wash dishes or I couldn't go to the prom. [Mad] And ya wonder why I have cleaning issues and get depressed whenever I have to clean? This, and other stories...

So now, there should be no more cleaning depressions, no more 3 days fighting with husband who doesn't want to clean, and more free time.

All I have to do is work harder at selling my jewelry to pay for this. Of course, that question can also be interpreted as "Which would I rather do, make more jewelry or scrub toilets?"

Any rocket scientists out there wanna hazard a guess?

#34826 - 07/19/05 09:14 PM Re: house cleaning
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Good for you Meredith! It helps so much, doesn't it? My mother was and still is the queen of clean. It's too much. Looks like a model home and growing up like that made me nuts. That's probably why I'm not a clean freak. My house isn't dirty but it isn't spotless either.

#34827 - 07/19/05 10:12 PM Re: house cleaning
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Meredith, you're my first kindred cleaner! I remember one school night, and it seemed like the middle of the night, Mom woke me up from a deep sleep to finish the dishes...I had left the roasting pan to soak and forgot to finish it...no wonder my hands were wrinkled before their time!

And thanks for the party hats and cheap candy. The last thing I meant to do was rain on your GRAND and WONDERFUL parade...thanks for sharing your kindred story instead of giving me the swift boot out of here that I deserved! Especially since I'm heartily delighted for you and celebrate (with chocolate no less) your newfound free time.

#34828 - 07/20/05 01:18 AM Re: house cleaning
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Meredith, congrats to you. What a wonderful gift you've given yourself.

I don't need a housecleaner.. well, okay, I do. But what I need even more is someone to come and organize me. I'm a horrible "gatherer" and I don't know how to make it all fit in my house. I need someone to spend a week with me and go through all my stuff, decide what gets thrown out and what goes to a garage sale, and then help me with a garage sale.

Any volunteers?

[ July 19, 2005, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: Vicki M. Taylor ]

#34829 - 07/20/05 05:03 AM Re: house cleaning
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Vicki, try this it works very well. Make three piles (so to speak.)
Pile #1 put albums, important papers etc. items you have to have...
Pile #2 put items you use "at least once" a month, no cheating.
Pile #3 anything you haven't looked at or used in over a month should be on a sale table.
Now this has to be done seasonally especially for clothes, summer and winter and of course some household things, pools or mowers or snow equipment....this is a proven method. [Wink]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved