The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 146 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#34728 - 05/19/05 01:06 AM DO NOT CALL
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I received this from Ellie. She said it's legit. Thought I should share.

JUST A QUICK IMPORTANT REMINDER......
In a few weeks, cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls. You will be charged for these calls.

Call this number from your cell phone 888-382-1222.
It is the national DO NOT CALL list. It only takes a minute of your time. It blocks your number for five (5) years. Please pass this on to everyone you know who doesn't want to be hassled.

Or you can go to www.donotcall.gov and do it on-line, but I recommend making the call directly.

#34729 - 05/19/05 11:57 PM Re: DO NOT CALL
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Thanks Dotsie and Ellie.
Speaking of cell phones, users can now sign up for free text messages with Amber Alert information. www.missingkids.com has info on it

chick

#34731 - 05/20/05 04:41 PM Re: DO NOT CALL
Debi Offline

Loc: Kansas City Kansas
I used to remember when we could go out and buy what ever we wanted now the salers are coming to us. And at the most inapproprite times , any one want a cruise to the bahamas at 10 pm???

#34732 - 05/21/05 12:08 PM Re: DO NOT CALL
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I love the ones "Our records show that you qualify to have your mortgage payments reduced blahblahblah...."

We paid off our freepin' mortgage 15 years ago. Ya think they'll pay us??? [Razz] [Razz]

Of course, we never ever ever pick up the phone when it rings, so this garbage all comes through the message machine which cuts people off at 45 seconds. I'm sooooo heartbroken when I miss the phone #s of the telemarketers.

If I'm near a phone when I hear hear a sales pitch over the message machine speaker, I pick up the receiver and put it down immediately. Gee, am I being rude?

#34734 - 05/24/05 10:15 PM Re: DO NOT CALL
Katrinka Offline

Loc: Central Pennsylvania
Dotsie,
Thanks for the information. I registered immediately. I didn't even think to add my cell phone to the Do Not Call list until you mentioned it.Many thanks! Now if I could just get my cell phone provider to stop text messaging me with promotions. Argh! While I'm ranting, (I have too much free time [Wink] ) there ought to be a law against websites installing spyware without your permission. I know there's supposed to legislation against it--or at least plans for it--but it also seems like such an impossible task. We run three different spyware and virus scanners on our computers (as well as pop-up blockers and firewalls, etc) but we always find spyware with one of the programs.
Okay, I'll shut up now. [Mad]
Marie

#34735 - 05/28/05 04:57 PM Re: DO NOT CALL
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Katrinka, happy to help. We don't get those text messages. We use Verizon. Do you have to pay for them?

#34736 - 06/26/05 11:24 PM Re: DO NOT CALL
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
I have notice a significant climb of door to door sales people.

I have a door with windows on both sides, so whoever is at the door could see inside the house. I came to the conclusion that I don't care if they see me or not, I am not answering.

Has anyone here put a No Soliciting sign on their door? I heard that it doesn't really work, but if any of you have put up a sign, let me know if it does work?

As for the telemarketers, I just do not answer my phone anymore. My family has learned not to answer and if they do, they know to say, in regards to me, "she is not here".

I heard of another way to fend off telemarketers. Pick up the phone and say "hold on a minute" and leave the phone down. Eventually you will hear a busy signal. Have any of you tried this?

I agree, our privacy is being invaded more and more. As a private person myself, I don't like it one bit!

Cheers,
Cathi

#34737 - 06/27/05 12:14 AM Re: DO NOT CALL
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I feel sorry for telemarketers. I'm sure they must be saddened by all the hangups and irritation they encounter and I figure they might be pretty desperate for money.
I have developed a polite, but firm answer that I give the moment I reaize I have answered a telemarketing call.
I say, "I do not purchase anything offered in unsolicited telephone calls. And I do not participate in surveys or contribute to charities over the phone. Thank you for calling."

Then without allowing them a word, I hang up. Almost always as I'm hanging up, they are thanking me. ??
smile

#34738 - 06/27/05 12:14 AM Re: DO NOT CALL
unique Offline

Loc: North Carolina
quote:
Originally posted by Optimumsteps:
I heard of another way to fend off telemarketers. Pick up the phone and say "hold on a minute" and leave the phone down. Eventually you will hear a busy signal. Have any of you tried this?

Cheers,
Cathi

I do it all the time!

I, too, am a private person. Invade my privacy at your peril! I might be nice, and then again...

#34739 - 06/27/05 12:35 AM Re: DO NOT CALL
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
The other side of the coin, and no offence to anyone:

telemarketers...human beings who are kicked when they're down, yelled and screamed at, cursed and sworn on, the slam of the reciever hurts their ears, the brunt of callous jokes. Dare not tell your job for fear of humiliation.

This young, single mom/dad then goes home to his/her babies and tries to release the stress of working all night, in the best way she knows how. She tries hard, why are people so cruel. God Bless her and her children.

Am I a telemarketer? No, never have been.

Do I know any personally? Nope, but I bet they are kind hearted, loving, stressed, funny, hopeful people just like us.

I AM guilty of having them blocked on my phone.

I appreciate and feel for them, but my other half, like countless others, well let's just say...he doesn't have patience when it comes to tellemarketers. The golden rule flies out the window,he flies off the handle,(with them only) and I fly out the door. I refuse to listen!

I am woman, here me purr? [Roll Eyes]

chick

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved