The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 139 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#34429 - 06/18/04 06:54 PM in the summer!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Everyone is out of school now and we are getting in the summer mode. Since I work from home this is a challenge because two of my kids don't have their driver's license. I am their mode of transportation.

How do other women working from home set boundaries?

#34430 - 06/19/04 06:56 AM Re: in the summer!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I have made it known to all that just because I work at home doesn't mean I am NOT working and that my work hours are from 10;00 AM TO 6:00 PM Monday thru Friday. I write other times as well but am not so strict about my time. It works if you are serious yourself. [Wink]

#34431 - 06/20/04 09:34 PM Re: in the summer!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
quote:
Originally posted by chatty lady:
It works if you are serious yourself. [Wink]

Chatty, thanks for the reminder. This is so hard for me because I've always been a stay at home mom. It's hard to switch gears and put my work before my family. It doesn't feel right. I always want my family to come first. It's how I was raised and what I chose before I even had kids.

I'm working at this and you're right. I'm serious about my work, but have a hard time not being available for my kids every second they need me, which isn't much these days because they're teens and have their own lives. SO when they come asking for a ride I feel like I should be able to take them becasue I always have, and at the same time I feel like they are intruding on my work.

Maybe I just need to set some limits by knowing their plans a day in advance. [Wink] There's a thought...

Thanks chatty!

#34432 - 06/20/04 11:34 PM Re: in the summer!
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Dotsie,
We have the same problem and he's not a teen anymore. Now I just tell him look at the calendar.
When he doesn't and asks me to do something, if I already have plans I don't go. If I am available I go.
Its real hard to turn them down too but it does get better once they learn you aren't available at their whims. Chatty I like the way you do it too.
Maggie

#34433 - 06/22/04 05:27 AM Re: in the summer!
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Dotsie:
Our children, whatever age they may be, also need to be respectful of our work. I know it's harder when you're a stay at home mom, (I am one too)cause they tend to disregard it as real work. But it is important that they take it seriously. So I do think that giving notice in advance would definitely work.

Also, when you let them know you're not available cause you are working it helps them view your work more realistically. Don't feel guilty. If you were at a 9-5 job somewhere else, they would seek other means of transportation!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved