The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 161 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#21109 - 03/11/06 06:48 AM Hair Loss
Pam R. Offline

Hi Everyone: I am new to this forum. I have always had a thick head of hair. In the past 3 years or so it has become thinner and thinner. I am on tons of meds for a heart attack 2 years ago, mostly blood pressure meds and cholesterol meds. The doctor thinks one of them is the culprit but I have heard that menopause does this too. The problem is mostly in the front and it is very disturbing. I have become depressed over the daily task of trying to style my hair. Thank goodness for hairspray and thickening creams and gels. I have an appointment with a hair club in April. I am considering a transplant that will keep me working forever just to pay for it! Men might think it is difficult going bald, but try being a woman. Any others here with this problem??
Thanks, Pam

#21110 - 03/11/06 08:38 AM Re: Hair Loss
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Oh girlfriend...please wait if you can. I had the same problem and now that I am post-menopausal (you can tell by my sweetness, kindess and of course my humbleness)things have gone back to normal. In the late stages of menopause, my hair started coming out as well. Along that same timeframe, I had a really bad car wreck, my Daddy died, my Mother came down with breast cancer, and I quit smoking in the middle of it. The "culprit" was either stress....which is very likely, or the meds I was on for acid reflux AND the pain meds.

Once things got better, and life resume it's roll on a more even keel, the hair came back and thicker than ever. I can't say for sure it was a) meds, b) stress, or c) menopause...but it MAY come back. I hate to see you go to the expense of a transplant if it's going to come back anyway.

How long did my hair keep falling out? About six months. I look like Donald Trump gone bad. Then it slowly, but surely started growing again, and the gaps were filled in. I know from whence you speak...it is very devastating! Especially if you've always had a head full of thick hair, like me and you.

Got stress?
Got Menopause?
Got Meds?

Any of these could be causing it. Can you cut back on the meds? Can you somehow learn to cope with the stress? Can you wait and WIN over menopause? You have my sympathy!

Hope this helps give you some hope!

JJ

#21111 - 03/11/06 09:41 AM Re: Hair Loss
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
I recently had hair loss, just enough to notice, but it growing back. It happened 2 other times in my life, when I got divorced and when my son moved out.

The past 2 months it's been growing back and I think it's partially due to the bio-identical hormones I started on 6 weeks ago. Hair loss can be caused by either too much or not enough testosterone and I'm taking just enough to replace what I'm missing.

Your hair will grow back!

Daisygirl

#21112 - 03/11/06 11:16 PM Re: Hair Loss
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I have Grave's Disease and had terrible hair loss along with deterioration. My hair was lifeless, thin, brittle and just a plain mess.

Once I went into remission I wanted to learn how to get my hair back in shape. I also entered menopause and that didn't help.

I learned on this forum that Biotin is a great supplement to take that makes your hair stronger, thicker, and healthier.

I take 1000mg a day. First thing in the morning with my regular pills. I think it was about 3 or 4 weeks before I noticed a change. Even my hairdresser could tell the difference. I have been taking Biotin now for about a year and I wouldn't ever stop.

Biotin is one of the B vitamins. You can find it at your local pharmacy like Walgreens or CVS in the vitamin section.

I hope it helps!

#21113 - 03/12/06 12:23 AM Re: Hair Loss
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
There is a behind the counter product called Appearx that is a large dosage of biotin and really works.

I didn't lose my hair but it suddenly stopped growing (after a bad haircut of course). Before then, I had bionic hair that amazed my hair stylist but suddenly, nothing. My nails also got brittle. What an ugly, depressing time that was.

But, the good news is it goes away eventually. Now, your meds may be playing a part in this and in that case, I guess you have to make a choice of some kind.

Vicki, my stepson also has Graves.

#21114 - 03/12/06 01:22 AM Re: Hair Loss
Pam R. Offline

Thank you all for your advice! I will certainly talk to my cardiologist (who is like a God to me) about the Biotin. I would love to avoid a drastic decision of a hair transplant if a simple drug would work for me. My cardio thinks it is the Toprol that I must take for my blood pressure. Hair loss is a prime side effect. I take a very high dose and have already tried to reduce it but the BP went up very quickly. I am now back on the original dose prescribed. He thinks that menopause does play a role as well. I hate taking drugs since my heart attack happened 35 minutes after taking an Imitrex for a migraine. I will check with him to be sure the Biotin is safe for me. Thanks again.

#21115 - 03/12/06 01:32 AM Re: Hair Loss
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
This is why I went the Botox route for my Migraines. It's hard on the heart.

#21116 - 03/12/06 04:15 AM Re: Hair Loss
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
PamR, I am an avid believer in Biotin because it is something that is healthy for the entire body, bones, hair and nails especially. It does not interfere with any medications either,(thouroughly investigated). Now if it isn't fast enough for you and you still feel you need additional help, before anything else try Women's Rogaine....It is very affordable, easy to use and really works without any side effects either. I am post menopausal and so are many of my women friends and several really bad cases of balding were completely stopped with the Rogaine. I have always had fine hair but lots of it and the Biotin has worked wonders for me.

#21117 - 03/13/06 07:26 PM Re: Hair Loss
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Pam, I hope you will go to the welcome forum and introduce yourself. Stick around. WE'd love to get to know you.

Danita, does Arbonne have a hair revitalizer? I'm thinking there was one with the men's products...

#21118 - 03/13/06 11:51 PM Re: Hair Loss
flossie Offline

Loc: New Zealand
I might have to get some of that Biotin, I seem to be losing an awful lot of my hair these days. Not sure if it's because of menopause (from full hysterectomy) or maybe one of mediciations I'm taking. But it's scary when you notice your hair getting thinner!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved