The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 121 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#19906 - 10/23/03 12:47 AM How early?
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
What was the earliest someone began menopause? Does this reflect the length of time the symptoms will last? Women can tell when it is starting quicker than the clinical test don't you think? Anybody with some answers?

#19907 - 10/23/03 04:21 AM Re: How early?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Lynn,
I will try and answer some of your questions referring to my own experience. I started my sympthoms around 39ish. From talking with my Mother, so did she, and my grandmother as well. I had hot flashes right off the bat, dizzy spells, weakness, and a type of mental confusion. I am sure that part of it is like someone with dementia. But anyway, those sympthoms were partly (according to the doc) from the onset of menopause, and partly from the lack of estrogen. An increase in my estrogen dosage helped quiet a bit. Oh yeah, and I looked for fresh meat sometimes too. Raw.
[Wink]
I'm 52 and still occasionally have hot flashes...especially if my blood or estrogen is low. I am not a nurse, don't know what that means or why (don't want to know) but all I can tell you is how I feel BEFORE and AFTER my estrogen is increased. I can almost tell you when my blood is low by how I feel, or estrogen for that matter. The flashes start. I think each person is different. But it has been 12 years for me and I am still going thru it. By the way, I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not, but I start going thru it immediately after having all my parts taken out.

#19908 - 10/24/03 01:23 AM Re: How early?
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Twelve years?! That gives me something to look forward to.

It doesn't sound much different from when we started menstrating-we had 30+ years to look forward to.

Geesh! My doc says all this heavy clotting period crap has nothing to do with menopause but I find it ironic that it all started with age. This is occurring along with sporadic start dates, they keep creeping up sooner and sooner.

I am 45 and my Mom said she was through with menopause by 48. Sounds like we are on the early side. My sister, 47 has started. She had her parts removed years ago.

Thanks for your info.

#19909 - 10/24/03 01:49 AM Re: How early?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
jawjaw dearest, I oughtta get you a book on plumbing...

Of course if your parts are removed, you go through menopause.

Me? Chemotherapy-induced at 48, no prior symptoms before that. Current medication (Tamoxifen) guarantees that it won't come back, not at this stage in life (53).

Y'all are gonna hate me, but I never had a hot flash.

#19910 - 10/24/03 04:58 AM Re: How early?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Oh girl don't bother...by now I'm sure everything has either grown together or produced new ones...

Besides...as I said in the post "I don't want to know!"

ewwwww

#19911 - 10/24/03 02:08 PM Re: How early?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lynn, this is something I'm surious about too since I'm not there yet. But, believe me I'm not anxious.

Mine are getting closer together and the doctor said it's probably peri-menopause.

I think we're going through this at a good time because there seems to be more and more information all the time. I think it's because we baby boomers make a difference. [Big Grin]

I'd say ask another doctor because I thik it could be perimenopausal...but what do I really know about these things...only what other women have told me...and I think that is sometimes just as helpful. [Razz]

#19912 - 10/24/03 04:27 PM Re: How early?
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
Lynn, "the heavy clotting period crap" my doctor has told me is a symptom of peri-menopause - along with more cramping now.

"Womens Bodies, Womens Wisdom" by Christianne Northrup is a good reference book, she has one on menopause too, also good.

#19913 - 10/27/03 07:39 PM Re: How early?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Evie, ahhh, the joys of aging! [Razz]

#19914 - 10/28/03 07:18 AM Re: How early?
DreamrKate Offline

Loc: California
I think I'm either going through it or getting ready but when I told my doctor, the conversation went pretty much like this -
"Well, why do you think you might be starting?"
"Because...(thinking)...on any given day, I could line people up and slap them... or in the next five minutes... feed them soup."
He said "Oh"
"But then, it could be because most people just piss me off."

That was pretty much the end of the appointment.

#19915 - 10/28/03 07:30 AM Re: How early?
DreamrKate Offline

Loc: California
Oh, I forgot about the hot flashes. I had pretty much determind that THAT wouldn't happen to me. Yeah well, when you wake up in the middle of the night and your head's hot, and your neck is even hotter and if that's not pleasant enough your cleavage (my cleavage) feels like a Slip and Slide. But I haven't had that for a little bit.

I went to Santa Barbara this summer, on my annual 'girl trip.' It was 108 here (Central California) so the coast was a wonderful idea. Well, HELLO, they were having a hot spell, 98 degrees, the whole time we were there... and there's NO air conditioning... I had to find a fan and direct it at my head at night, thought I was going to kill someone, anyone, in Rite-Aid one night and finally grabbed my girlfriend (who is also my Pastor's wife) and told her that she'd just better get her butt in the car and turn the air conditioner on full blast or they'd be bailing out me out of the crazy ward because I was gonna have a fit.

But when it passes...you're sweet as pie.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved