The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 161 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#215624 - 11/30/11 07:48 PM Bionic contact Lenses? Yikes!
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I just read an article on advancing medical technology that sort's sort of freakish, IMHO.

It's about the work being done -- I think at University of Washington in Seattle -- to test what they call "bionic contact lenses."

So far the work has only been done on rabbits, and the technology has not evolved to the practical stage, but the idea is this: contact lenses that you would wear which could project your email and text messages as well as ancillary information like maps and driving directions right onto your cornea!

Here's the article from BBC News - Health if you want to know more.

Remember the old Bionic Man TV shows from the 60s? Who would have thought that so much of that technology would become reality in our lifetimes?

Anne
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#215637 - 12/02/11 03:09 PM Re: Bionic contact Lenses? Yikes! [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Anne,
Here's the problem as I see it: Some of us can't wear contacts.
So what happens then????

#215639 - 12/02/11 06:17 PM Re: Bionic contact Lenses? Yikes! [Re: jabber]
Boomer in Chief

Good question, Jabber!

I'm one of those who can't wear 'em. I got my first pair when I was in high school. They were the hard lens type, and I wore them ALL the time. Close to 24/7. I exceeded the recommended number of hours for vanity and the ability to see. Quit wearing 'em in college, when it just became faster to get up in the morning and throw on my glasses before hiking off to class.

Then sometime in my 30s I got fitted with soft lenses, but I just didn't like 'em. They always seemed to either get out of position, or they fell out. Probably not fitted correctly, but they were just too much work.

These days I'm back to the convenience of glasses, though since I got my last pair I find I take 'em off to read books and the paper. Really only use 'em to drive, watch TV or use the computer.

I'm not sure I could get used to having images projected right on my eyes!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#215647 - 12/03/11 12:32 AM Re: Bionic contact Lenses? Yikes! [Re: Anne Holmes]
Sandy N. Offline

Loc: Washington State
The thing that bothers me about those bionic contact lenses is that I don't want to constantly know if I've received an email or text message. Sometimes I even turn off my cell phone *gasp.* It's nice to live in the moment and savor the experience without distractions. All those intrusions can wait.

#215650 - 12/03/11 04:48 AM Re: Bionic contact Lenses? Yikes! [Re: Sandy N.]
Boomer in Chief

I agree with you, Sandy. I'm not one to use my cell phone when I'm out shopping, driving, etc. I DO take it with me when I leave the house, but only so that if I need to call home, etc., I have a way to do it. Mostly I keep it turned off, to save the battery, so I don't have to worry that it won't have a charge when I need it.

So I would have no desire to have my emails coming in to my contacts!!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#215654 - 12/03/11 02:38 PM Re: Bionic contact Lenses? Yikes! [Re: Anne Holmes]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I would find it distracting to have a constant stream of information in front of my eyes, especially when driving. Drivers are distracted enough these days without having all that text in front of their eyes all the time!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved