The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 152 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#17300 - 04/21/06 10:13 PM $100 or less
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey gals, I'm trying to budget my food allowance. I don't cook, thus eat my lunch out most everyday and keep snacks (fruit, chips, nuts, low fat icream, cereal and yogurt) at home. However, lunch has become expensive and averages $6 each lunch and sometimes the portions are large and get 2 lunches from one. Yet, expenses are on the horizon, and wanted to know how to eat cheaper for say $100 per month and not STARVE! I've searched the internet for ideas and find few (that's an oxy moron w/in itself!). Again, I don't cook and don't eat beef. But, if any of you have low fat easy to bake recipes or can recommend frozen ideas (other than Weight Watchers or stuff like that which are kind of high and have little substance!) like casserols, etc. or sandwiches, etc. I'd appreciate your ideas! Of, course a can of soup 1X or 2X per week is good, too, as are PBJs (or peanut butter on raisen bread!).

Thanks gals!

#17301 - 04/21/06 10:43 PM Re: $100 or less
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Do you ever make casseroles and freeze smaller portions? I have a single friend who does that.

#17302 - 04/21/06 10:47 PM Re: $100 or less
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I've been watching too but no way could we do it that inexpensively. Dotsie's idea of freezing small portions would probaly work well. Pasta is unexpensive too and you could freeze small portions of that as well.

There are a couple sites at Garden and Hearth, where I have my Fresh Cooking site that deal with this topic, one is called Eating Well (on a Budget) and the other is called Frugal Family.
If you are interested, go to www.gardenandhearth.com and look on the left side of the page. Eating Well is listed with the food topics and Frugal Family is listed under the Lifestyle topics. There may be other sites there of interest to you too but these two come to mind.

[ April 21, 2006, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: TVC15 ]

#17303 - 04/22/06 02:45 AM Re: $100 or less
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My mother works a full time job and once a month she will take a day and cook 4 different meals. Lets say as an example chili, soup, lasagna, chicken and rice...once cool she freezes a single portion in a container and marks it. She has a freezer full of low cost, substantial meals for anytime eating. Also watch the stores sale papers for when some items are two or three for a reasonable price. I was shocked recently on a trip to one of the local dollar stores we have here and found so many food items for a dollar or less and each I've tried are as good as the more expensive brands. Also get your toilet paper, paper towels etc. there and you'll find good values. Plus with all the fast food places offering really good choices on there menus theres no reason to eat more expensively. I am a chicken/fish person and never have a problem finding something for a dollar....

[ April 21, 2006, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved