The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 147 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#16386 - 08/22/04 09:22 PM Bike or Tread?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
While figuring my budget out, I realized that it wont let me add another monthly bill for Curves. [Frown] However, I do HAVE to excercise now (then too but have a different motivation). So, of the two machines, a tread mill or stationary bike, which one would I get the most out of?

Sheree

#16387 - 08/23/04 05:44 AM Re: Bike or Tread?
DonnaJ Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
I think the treadmill. I've heard that as we age, we need the low impact exercise to keep our bones strong. I've been walking on mine the past few months, and it's definitely made me feel better.

Donna

#16388 - 08/23/04 03:32 PM Re: Bike or Tread?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I think treadmill too. Wave your arms as you walk and then your arms and legs get a work out. Upper body gets no exercise on a bike. [Wink] Just my two cents.

#16389 - 08/23/04 09:29 PM Re: Bike or Tread?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Hey, thanks. Every two cent counts. I was thinking that the treadmill too. I sure hope it doesn't become a clothes hanger like my other one did. LOL.

Sheree

#16390 - 08/23/04 10:15 PM Re: Bike or Tread?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I agree with the treadmill but the reason I do is that it would simply be MY choice of the two. I love to walk. But let me ask you something...is this question as to whether which one to purchase? Or do you aleady have these items? If it's to purchase, wouldn't it be cheaper to go the Curves route? Then nothing left to garage sale later when you grow tired of the thing and discover it will only hold so many pieces of clothing....

Just a thought.

JJ

#16391 - 08/23/04 11:35 PM Re: Bike or Tread?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Wll as usual our Queens wisdom prevails and she has a good point.....

I have a stationary bike and use it faithfully. I wednt to Wal-Mart asnd bought 2 two pound weights (barbell thingees) and while peddling I swing my arms with these weights to exercise my upper body, it really does the trick...

For those of you who can't afford a gym of any kind listen up...You can stand up during every commercial on TV and simply "march in place," yes and swing those flabby arms. Also put on some music and become a conductor of the orchestra, ever seen a conductor with flabby arms, NO and you won't either. Plus its great as a cardio vascular exercise....Learned these simple steps from Joe Weider the Exercise King when he use to come into our cocktail lounge to hear me sing. You can be in GREAT shape and spend NO money.... [Big Grin]

#16392 - 08/24/04 11:53 AM Re: Bike or Tread?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Everything I teach in my exercise class can be done at home with no equipment. Here's just a few:

Aerobics:
1. RUN up and down the stairs. If you can't run, walk up and down as much as you can.
2. dance to your favorite music.

Weights:
1. lift cans of food, or bottles of water.
2. body weight resistance (lunges, squats, push-ups, sit-ups, etc.)
If you don't know proper form, get a good exercise book.

3. Balance exercises. Practice standing on one leg. Walk on the curb outside.

4. stretching.

These are the 4 cornerstones of a good workout program. If you watch TV, do it during commercials. If you're on the computer, take 5 minute workout breaks every hour. If you "forget", set a kitchen timer for one hour and exercise for 5 minutes when it dings. Then reset it!

#16393 - 08/25/04 07:19 AM Re: Bike or Tread?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I recall a time when friends were joining gyms. I went out the door and walked for free. Great point ladies.

I think it boils down to a desire for exercise! [Razz]

#16394 - 08/24/04 11:22 PM Re: Bike or Tread?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Excellent input, greatly appreciated. JJ, Curves is a monthly bill that I cant really afford. Every month my income varies. So, to add another constant bill would kill me when/if things plunge. I asked this question because I am planning on putting the item on layaway at Walmart (granted they let me and it's too much to purchase outright). So, since both 'close hangers' are out of the question, I wanted the opinions to base my purchase on.

That's so true about the inexpensive ways to exercise; water bottles, cans, ect. I guess I forgot how to be 'low income.' Thanks for reminding me. Maybe I just need the motivation of seeing this big space hogging 'close hanger' planted in front of my tv set. Maybe I just need an excuse not to exercise until I can afford equipment.

Hmmm, these are some pretty deadly excuses, huh? I think I'll start the marching, dancing and conducting. That's sounds fun. Maybe I can get some body length mirrors to make it a comedy show as well. [Razz]

Sheree

#16395 - 08/24/04 11:33 PM Re: Bike or Tread?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Oh, Meredith, I just re-read your suggestion. You neant cans WITH food in them? LOL.

Sheree [Wink]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved