The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 118 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#210094 - 01/05/11 09:32 PM Pets & People
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I know that anyone of you that has lost a human friend lately feels the deep pain and probably don't understand how we animal lovers equate our loss as just as painful but I can tell you from experience, it is! Probably because no matter how old a pet becomes they are always our babies. Does anyone agree with me?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#210107 - 01/05/11 11:23 PM Re: Pets & People [Re: chatty lady]
Ellemm Offline

I don't know what to say. I know a few people who don't like other people and a few who don't like pets, but most folks seem to like both and feel the loss of any loved one, human or pet, deeply. I think the pain comes not just from losing our pets, but knowing that we will outlive them. It's hard.

#210110 - 01/06/11 01:43 AM Re: Pets & People [Re: Ellemm]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I know too many people who say it's 'only' a dog so don't get so upset. But they are part of our lives for so long; they enrich our lives; and do so much for our health. My opinion is that anyone who doesn't grieve for a pet who has died is suspect. I don't mean that losing a pet is worse than losing a family member; but the loss is still a loss. Having lost both my parents and some pets over the last few years, the grief isn't any less because 'it's just an animal'! There are now Bereavement Support groups for people who have lost a pet. I think it's a wonderful idea. Only those who have gone through the experience of loss can know how we feel, whether it's a family member, friend, or a pet.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#210112 - 01/06/11 03:42 AM Re: Pets & People [Re: yonuh]
Ellemm Offline

Oh, no argument from me. But how often do people react to a human's death with, "Oh, it's for the best," or my personal nonfavorite: "he's in a better place now." I know that the people who say this are trying for something comforting, but it can really sound dismissive. I have even heard people say they 'got over' a parent's death in a few weeks and don't understand why someone else is mooning on about her mother's death.

I know it's not the same thing and the topic is the bereavement at the loss of a pet, but often we seem to miss each other's signals and needs. Sometimes we just need for someone to say, "I'm so sorry you lost ____," -- no waving it away as no big deal or deciding we should be happy or relieved.

And I think that was Chatty's point: losing a pet can be and is a big deal. I sure miss some of mine*, even if I knew it was their time to go. The silly cat sleeping on my legs really makes me laugh with her antics; I hope she's around for a long time.

*Well, I miss all of them, but some weren't around that long. I feel their loss but not as much as the ones we had for 15 years. Their loss is what might have been.

Edited by Ellemm (01/06/11 03:00 PM)

#210119 - 01/06/11 02:35 PM Re: Pets & People [Re: Ellemm]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
It's a big, huge deal to lose a pet. I still miss every pet I've
ever lost. I had a toy poodle back in the 70's, I still miss.
The dog we had when I was kid, I miss. And many in between.
I love pets and it's devastating when they die. And of course
humans, there's no words to express that loss. Both take the
starch right of a person. And if I didn't believe in life eternal, I don't know what I'd do! I love my pets!!!

#210123 - 01/06/11 02:53 PM Re: Pets & People [Re: jabber]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Everyone grieves differently; some do get over it faster than others whether it's a pet or a person. Our pets are precious and I still miss every one that I ever lost. I have good memories of them all, even the obnoxious ones, and take comfort in knowing I gave them a good life. smile
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#210125 - 01/06/11 03:53 PM Re: Pets & People [Re: yonuh]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
When I was growing up, our house wasn't pet-friendly, for some reason. We had a cat for all of about 2 days and then it disappeared, a canary that died after about 2 weeks. After that, we were never allowed to have pets again.

But I did meet two dogs in my lifetime who left wonderful memories in my heart. One belonged to my church deacon who was also my spiritual director for many years. That little dog had an uncanny ability to read my soul and knew just when I needed some TLC...she would greet me at the door, then come and nestle at my feet for the entire time I was there, sometimes resting her head gently on my knees. She always made me feel warm and loved. She died many, many years ago, but she will always have a special place in my heart, I could never forget that warm heart beating against my feet.

The other dog, Michaud, belonged to my husband's niece. We connected immediately, and he would do the same sort of thing, though he was a huge dog. He would crawl up on the couch and lay his head in my lap. One time when we were staying in their spare room in the basement, hubby and I were in the room getting ready, when Michaud came prancing into the room with bright and happy eyes, carrying a small pillow, clearly expecting to sleep in there with us. Michaud brought much joy and warmth to my life, and though he's been gone for many years, he also has a special place in my heart and will never forget him. I still miss him terribly whenever we visit that house.

(Maya Angelou)

#210133 - 01/06/11 11:18 PM Re: Pets & People [Re: Eagle Heart]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
We're blessed with the most beautiful Goldendoodle right now.
She's sweet and loving and smart and she makes me smile everytime
I look at her. Life is an adventure to this gal and she prances
around, checking everything out. Each day is brand new and such
fun for her. Recently, months ago now, WB and I had a heartbreaking experience and (I) didn't want another dog. Now we have two, a Goldendoodle and my MIL's baby. yonuh and Eagle's stories touched my heart. I wasn't gonna write all that. Addressing Chatty's original post, people even send PET sympathy cards now when a person loses a dog. We got several of them back when we went through what we went through. If they weren't so much work, I'd probably have a house full of dogs. WB's brother and his wife have 3 big, big dogs. That's all too much for my constitution. LOL...

Edited by jabber (01/07/11 01:59 PM)

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved