The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 196 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#157114 - 08/22/08 12:32 AM My Friend Jody
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
My friend Jody died at 2:30 this afternoon. She had survived breast cancer and at least 5 metastases since 1992.

Several months ago, Jody's spirits were up. She was finally able to eat soft/solid food after 8 months of liquids only.

Every time she had another metastasis, I'd think "this has to be it" but Jody never gave up. She'd say "I survived this far, I'm going to beat it again." And every time she did.

10 days ago, she was doing fine during the day but by nightfall was very very tired. The next day she didn't get out of bed. A few days later, she was barely conscious and unable to speak or eat.

Another friend called her house Sunday, to remind Jody that our exercise group was having its bi-monthly dinner on Tuesday. Jody's husband told my friend about Jody's condition. When my friend said she wanted to visit, he said, "No she's too tired, she might not even recognize you."

So I got on the phone with her husband, and when he said Jody was too sick for visitors, I said "I know. And we want to say good-bye."

Every time Jody got sick or had a trip to the hospital, I'd called all the gals in our group to make sure they visited. We'd take several trips with a few gals every time, bringing cards and flowers. When she was too sick to go out for several months last summer, I made sure that there were gals visiting her every single week.

This time I called to tell everyone that this was it. If they wanted to say good-bye, they had to do it soon.

I went on Monday with two friends. Jody was hooked up to tubes for pain medicine. The 3 of this said "Hi, this is --" and whatever else we wanted to say. Jody tried to open her eyes once. We're not sure if she knew we were there or not.

We sat in her bedroom for 10-15 minutes, and then went into the living room to talk to her husband for another 1/2 hour. All her organs were shutting down and she had congestive heart failure (this week.)

A gf called me at 3:30 today to say that she just called Jody's house and Jody had passed. She and I divided the phone list of our friends. It took me 2 hours before I could call anyone.

Jody will be missed. I'm still a little numb.

Poet and essayist

#157116 - 08/22/08 12:41 AM Re: My Friend Jody [Re: meredithbead]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I'm so sorry to hear this, Meredith. I know you will miss her. She sounds like a wonderful human being. I will keep you and her family and friends in my thoughts.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#157118 - 08/22/08 12:53 AM Re: My Friend Jody [Re: yonuh]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
cry I'm so sorry, Meredith, I've lost a friend to cancer at age 43, so I know how it feels.

They are never forgotten.

#157123 - 08/22/08 01:38 AM Re: My Friend Jody [Re: Di]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Oh Meredith, I'm so sorry. I've been keeping Jody (and you) in heart and prayer all week. I'm glad you had the chance to be with her before she passed. And if it's any consolation, I've been having some delightfully funny and very tender "Gary-moments" for some time...while I still miss his "skin on" hugs and presence very much, I'm keenly aware that he hasn't gone very far, and am enjoying this new relationship with him now. I'm sure Jody's going to find ways to let you that she's around.

Know that you are in my heart. Wish I could be there to give you a "skin on" hug.

(Maya Angelou)

#157138 - 08/22/08 08:18 AM Re: My Friend Jody [Re: Eagle Heart]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Oh Meredith, I was wondering the other day whatever happened to Jody. I am so sorry for her passing. I agree with Eagle though, she will show you her presence when she is able.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#157152 - 08/22/08 12:02 PM Re: My Friend Jody [Re: chatty lady]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Meredith I am very sorry to hear about Jody.
Hugs,

#157154 - 08/22/08 12:10 PM Re: My Friend Jody [Re: chickadee]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Meredith, I am so sorry to hear of your loss of a great friend. I will hold you in my heart in a big way.

Love to you.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#157210 - 08/22/08 09:16 PM Re: My Friend Jody [Re: Anno]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Thanks all. Last night I decided to skip critique group and instead walk around my favorite local park, with a large lake in the middle and lots of birds. The birds always make me happy and it's better than sitting around and being depressed. Today I sent a condolence card to Jody's husband. They were married 54 years.

The chapel for her service was reserved for this Friday or next. If she had died by Thursday morning, the service would've been today, but they didn't have enough time so it'll be next Friday. I'll be out of town for a craft festival and really can't cancel.

I feel bad about missing her funeral, but I was there for Jody when she was alive, which to me is what's most important.

Poet and essayist

#157216 - 08/22/08 09:54 PM Re: My Friend Jody [Re: meredithbead]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Meredith, out of a most tender heart, I say, I am so sorry. While driving home after visiting Daddy this afternoon, the thought of him passing was so 'right there' on my mind. A peace came over me, though, for some reason. After seeing him hunched over in a non-controlled position (laying in bed, but his body making a moon shape), his eyes watery and him barely able to open them, his not being able to speak or respond as I know he wanted to, him having to listen to all those horrible machines humming and burbling around him... knowing he doesn't have to go through this. He would be so much better off with your friend Jody. But, letting go... we, WE, hurt for lack of them; for not being able to share one more thought; for not being able to get one more of EH's 'skin hugs'... We are bound to earth, and should be wishing for the freedom your friend now has, and my dad will soon have, regardless of the pain it brings us while we wait our turn. I hurt for you. I feel the pain with you. I'm glad Jody had you as a caring friend.

#157238 - 08/23/08 07:11 AM Re: My Friend Jody [Re: gims]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Meredith, I am so sorry about Jody. Big Hugs!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved