The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 127 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#168695 - 12/23/08 07:47 PM quitting drinking without Treatment
quirkyalone Offline

Loc: Missouri
Has anyone successfully remained sober without starting out in treatment or going to AA etc.

I suppose that means-doing it on your own.

#168699 - 12/23/08 08:39 PM Re: quitting drinking without Treatment [Re: quirkyalone]
seek Offline

Loc: mother earth
i have read on the web that there are groups who do this - not sure how. there are books about it, though, and on tv, i saw an ad for "promises" (i think) in southern california, maybe (?) and they say they do not use the "disease" model of alcoholism.
be well,
and all manner
of thing
shall be well.

dame julian of norwich - 14th century - mystic

#168751 - 12/24/08 01:46 AM Re: quitting drinking without Treatment [Re: seek]
Deborahmce Offline

Loc: Arkansas
Quirkyalone, I'm sure that it has and can be done...I'm not so clear on what determines the success of such...whether it depends on the person, the timing or both, or even some other factor...and I suppose it would be more the exception than the rule to be successful on one's own...since a major problem with addictive personalities is the lack of ability to be self-aware AND honest with oneself..though I certainly DO believe that it can be done..just not sure what it would take for it to be successful.

Is there anything specific you need? I mean are you asking the question because someone needs some direction or something or are you just curious about experiences of others?

#168784 - 12/24/08 09:21 AM Re: quitting drinking without Treatment [Re: Deborahmce]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
Why would any one do it alone when thers help avalible? unless thers some issue with the 12 steaps, totale abstanesce (sp) or members within the 12 steaps programmes.

addictions a biggie and as suggested above it can transfeer from one thing to another thing that becomes addictive again.

i guess id also want to know is it personal, for a frend, or just asking becouse of couriositie and what the problem or issue (if their is one) with doing it with peer support or preofessional support. its quite a big disclosure thats being asked of from members so maybee some back ground might help.

#168799 - 12/24/08 12:58 PM Re: quitting drinking without Treatment [Re: celtic_flame]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I think some poeple may begin the journey alone, but eventually realize they need support. Anything can be a step in the right direction.

To answer your question, I don't know anyone who has done that. I know people who have slipped even with the help of AA so I imagine it could be hard, but definitely a step in the right direction.

#168846 - 12/24/08 10:26 PM Re: quitting drinking without Treatment [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I know two recovering alcoholics and they tell me you are always recovering. One did it alone and ended up worse off after sliding backwards. She said NEVER AGAIN!!! Once she went for the professional help offered it was so much easier and she has never backslided. Thew other, an oldrer male, a drunk for 30 something years went to AA and into a care physility for 90 days as well. Both have remained successfully sober, but still go to AA and he is a sponsor now for others who need help.

I have never taken a drink myself except for a swig of wine before dinner at Christmas. Can't stand the taste of alcohol.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#169436 - 12/30/08 04:40 PM Re: quitting drinking without Treatment [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
chatty, it seems like the most successful are those who stick with AA. I know a gal who was a drug addict and alcoholic. A friend took her in and got her the help she needed, which took several years. After getting some education and a job she moved out and carried on alone. The woman is now in an excellent job and happily married to someone she met in AA. This has taken place over a 20 year period and she's still active in AA. There's a part of me that thinks it's sad that her life revolves around AA, but it's really what gave her her life back so what do I know?

#169803 - 01/02/09 11:08 PM Re: quitting drinking without Treatment [Re: ]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
quirkyalone,
I quit drinking many, many years ago. I partied like many young people, party. But I quit that and I quit smoking March 4, 1984. It is
possible to do it yourself. But you need the WILL to succeed.
If you want anything bad enough, you can do what it takes to
obtain that goal. Love and prayers and blessings...

Edited by jabber (01/02/09 11:09 PM)

#169858 - 01/03/09 02:40 PM Re: quitting drinking without Treatment [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
quirkyalone,
I'm not saying it isn't a good idea to get help. I know members
of AA and that organization really, really helps folks. But the
desire to change has to start in your heart. That's all I'm
saying here. The dream to succeed needs to be birthed inside you. IMO! Prayers and blessings

#171054 - 01/13/09 02:40 AM Re: quitting drinking without Treatment [Re: jabber]
quirkyalone Offline

Loc: Missouri
I have tried AA and met many good people but it is just too faith based for me. When I had to choose a higher power--I chose myself and my sponsor told me that it wasn't acceptable. I feel like I have to have power over myself. Anyway, no insurance for rehab. I keep trying but 30 days seems to be my breaking point. I always feel like I need something! Everyone alters the way they feel with something, be it alcohol, food, prayer, sex, shoplifting, whatever. Too bad I couldn't become hooked on exercize!

Thanks for the responses

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved