The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 165 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#125888 - 08/17/07 08:45 AM youth and alcohol
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I don't know about where you live, but it sure seems that there are tons of youth with drinking problems. I read an article that local AA groups have more young people than ever.

I'm trying to decide if more kids really do drink, or if youth are more likely to get help when needed in this day and age.

Any thoughts?

Oh, we have a local diner where I'll occasionally get breakfast with Dad. Last time we were there, there was a handsome young man sitting behind us with a boomer age couple. I was doing my share of eaves dropping and the story was that they were his AA sponsors. They were so kind with him and he was being so honest with them, it was beautiful. My heart ached for the kid. I'm guessing he wasn't even 21 years-old and had totally screwed things up for himself, but was definitely ont he right track. I wanted to hug all three of them when we left. There is alwys hope for these kids and I think the sponsor idea is such a great one.

I have since learned the diner is a hang out for lots of people in AA. It doesn't serve alcohol.

#125889 - 08/17/07 02:02 PM Re: youth and alcohol
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
I tried to seach for some statistics related to the growth or decline of drinking, but didn't find any. Here are some facts I found:

-65% of youth surveyed said that they got the alcohol they drink from family and friends.

-More than 18% of Americans experience alcohol abuse or alcohol dependence at some time in their lives.

-Alcohol is the most commonly used drug among young people.

-Concerning the past 30 days, 50% of high school seniors report drinking, with 32% report being drunk at least once.

I have been very fortunate. Neither of my sons drink at all. (one is 20, one is nearly 16) But one of our friends allows her underage kids and their underage friends to drink at home. She says that's better than having them out drinking at parties and driving around. I can see her point, but I think she's just contributing to the problem.

She also could be arrested for providing alcohol to minors, and if one of those kids leaves and has an accident, she's going to be responsible.

#125890 - 08/17/07 04:21 PM Re: youth and alcohol [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
gerrbeck Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
There have been several incidents lately of teenagers dying in accidents involving drinking. I worry a lot because alcoholism is a problem in both sides of my family.
I have two teenagers and that is a huge concern for me. My daughter was recently involved with a group of kids that were drinking and doing drugs. I didn't know at first, then she started acting differently, very secretive, NEVER wanted to to be at home. Then one afternoon they went to a local recreation area on the beach, there was a lot of drinking going on and one of the girls was also doing doing drugs, she and my daughter got into an argument over her drug use (the friend)anyway, I got a call later from my daughter that she had parted ways with this friend and she was on her way home. She confessed to me what had been going on, but swore that she had not been doing any drinking, I have to be honest, I am not convinced that was so. But, still she was put on restriction for awhile, car priveledges were suspended at one point for a while. We are watching her very closely. She has always been such a great kid, an honor student, very focused and highly motivated. That seemed to changed almost overnight. She seems to be coming around again and is focusing more on school and work and hopefully that period is behind us. One thing I did do though, I found out what stores were selling the beer to to the kids and reported them to the Bureau of ATF who paid them a visit!

#125892 - 08/17/07 07:09 PM Re: youth and alcohol [Re: ]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I think the gathering of statistics on teen drinking and drug use is a fairly new phenomenon. I have been working with prevention (alchohol, drugs, behavior problems, mental health, etc) for several years and have seen statewide statistics. Use is fairly high, regardless of race or gender.

When I was in high school (pleeeeaaaase still love me after this confession ) my friends and I would go into liquor stores and bars with our uniforms on. We never had problems buying liquor. Sad, isn't it.

That part has changed quite a bit, and, as Kathy stated, most liquor is purchased by a family member, or an older friend. But I also know, especially in poorer neighborhoods, sales directly to underage children still happen.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#125894 - 08/19/07 01:14 PM Re: youth and alcohol [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
There are carry out/delivery stores in our area that deliver pizza and alcohol to homes and will deliver to kids. I've heard about this, but don't know which ones. I should find out and report them. Great idea.

I have several friends who are sending children to college for the first time these next few weeks. Alcohol abuse is one of their biggest concerns.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved