The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 108 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#14054 - 05/01/05 02:47 AM Drunk & Disorderly
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Backi in the 60's my then husband and I owned a nice neighborhood cocktail lounge. It became the place to hang out, safe for women alone and men too since fighting was not tolerated. We had a go-go stage and jacks in the bar and a little band on the week-ends. The Mayors family, the Chief of Police, the Cops and Fireman all hung out there. The thing that amazed me the most was how much alcohol can change a persons personality. These women would come in all dressed to the nines, sayafter the Mayors birthday ball and order a few drinks. They were dressed beautifully, hair in up do's, very shiek then as the night progressed the clothes became discheveled and the updo began to droop and the fancy talk became a slur of words no one could understand. They would sometimes get up to potty and fall down and lay there and giggle. I guess I got a good education on alcohol back then, one of the reasons I don't drink. Plus my ex drank enough for us both for 2 lifetimes. Lets face it, drunk and disorderlynisn't a pretty sight.... [Eek!]

#14055 - 05/01/05 10:24 PM Re: Drunk & Disorderly
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Chatty, It's not a pretty sight, I agree.

People lose their inhibitions when they drink and behaviors that they'd never exhibit when sober become very pronounced. Someone who is relatively shy could become very outgoing and gregarious. They could even like the way they feel when they drink and want to be that person more and more.

Some people drink to forget who they usually are or forget problems they have even if it's just for a few hours.

Drinking can turn father of the year into a mean, abusive drunk who beats their wife and yells at their kids.

There's been a lot of studies done on the effects of alcohol on the human brain. What are the results? In a nutshell, too much drinking is not good for you.

What's too much drinking? It depends on the person. Some people seem to get drunk as the glass is passed under their nose, while others can go through a case of beer and show no visible signs of being drunk.

Alcohol is a mood altering drug and mood altering drugs can be very dangerous if not properly supervised.

Gee.. someone kick this soapbox out from under me .. I'm spouting off at the fingers today. [Smile]

#14056 - 05/06/05 09:36 AM Re: Drunk & Disorderly
newwriter Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, NV (for now)
Well, this topic is interesting also. And it is also one about which I've written a story called 'The Journey.'

My middle child has a problem with alcohol. Came about mostly after a divorce. He was devastated to lose living fulltime with his kids.
He has had several DUIs and wrecks, one of which almost killed him. So far, he has been sober (to my knowledge) for 2 years or so.

I don't drink much either. I don't like the loss of control, or the upset stomach and headache that comes along with being drunk. I drink one or two,very occasionally, and that is that...

#14057 - 05/19/05 02:50 AM Re: Drunk & Disorderly
csoftah Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Just to let you know that I drank a river but I have been sober for the past eight and half years.
When I first started going to AA meetings there were only 2 or 3 women. Now the women make up half of the members of AA. Some are young but there are a few grandmothers, like myself. That is why I gave up my annonemity and wrote a book: The Road To Recovery-Alcoholism and Judaism. I wanted my grandchildren to be aware that Alcoholism is a disease that can be transmitted in the genes. Go to my site: csoftah to preview the book.

#14058 - 05/19/05 08:24 PM Re: Drunk & Disorderly
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
csoftah, thanks for sharing. I hope you'll go to the welcome forums and tell us more. Do you think more women are drinking since joing the work force, raising kids, and trying to be all things to all people? Just wondering...

I love your patriotic site.

#14059 - 05/24/05 06:00 AM Re: Drunk & Disorderly
Kentuckygirl Offline

Loc: Kentucky
Strange thing, alcohol. My father was an alcoholic and it killed him at the age of 44. My son is an alcoholic but I can hardly tolerate it. I drank in college and it didn't take but 2 drinks to wipe me out. I am extremely sensitive to it and now I don't touch the stuff.

I have seen what it does to my son and what it did to my father and I truly admire alcoholics who can remain sober. I hope one day my son can find sobriety.

Kentucky Girl

#14060 - 05/24/05 11:49 PM Re: Drunk & Disorderly
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Kentuckygirl, I am always amazed when children of alcoholics are able to break the cycle. Good for you.

Have you tried an intervention with your son?

#14061 - 05/25/05 12:24 AM Re: Drunk & Disorderly
Kentuckygirl Offline

Loc: Kentucky
Hi Dotsie:

No, we haven't tried intervention. A few years ago he was court ordered to go through rehab. As soon as he got out he started with his addictions again.

I go to Al-Anon and Codependent's Anonymous in order to learn how to detach and to get support.

I appreciate your interest.

Kentucky Girl  -

#14062 - 05/25/05 12:27 AM Re: Drunk & Disorderly
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
My mom is an alcoholic. She drank all while I was a kid and I never knew it. She would pour the alcohol in a soda bottle or can keeping it out of our reach.

I think I could be an alcoholic if I drank. But, I don't drink because of all the medications I'm on. I did drink while I was in the Marines and then stopped for a while. I started drinking again after my first divorce. There's lots of times when I'd love to have a drink, but I can't. Meds and alcohol just don't mix.

#14063 - 05/26/05 07:39 AM Re: Drunk & Disorderly
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Kentucky, if you can't cure them, you have to heal yourself. Good for you.

Vicki, you are so wise to know your limits. I know people who take medications that shouldn't be mixed with alcohol, but they do it anyway. [Mad] I keep my mouth shut.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved