Hello All,
I'm new to the board but, love what I am reading.... Am soon to be 56 (next month) and single -- always wanted to retire from the corporate world at 55 (missed that boat). My last 20 years were spent as a software trainer and traveled extensively so I wasn't too disappointed when my last company decided to go in a different direction leaving trainers looking for employment. Thought I had planned well -- please notice I said "thought" -- and could take early retirement. Well, that hit the skids when I realized the cost of health insurance on my own.

I could retire with no health insurance or find employment just for the insurance. Listing criteria for my ideal job had lots of time off at the top of my list. Not many jobs start you off like that unless you work for a school system so I checked that out. Almost fell out of my chair the day I found out that, in my area, you can drive a school bus for 5 years and then take early retirement (if you are at least 60) and early retirement gives you health insurance for the rest of your life -- and if you aren't smiling now, hold on -- the insurance is competely paid for.

So now I am a school bus driver and I have 4 years and 6 weeks until I can retire. Actually, my kids are good and I kinda like it. It's a far cry for the corporate job.

Anyway, that's me and I'll looking ahead (as this topic states).

Patsy