Boy mustang, sounds like the story of my life.

I wrote a $20 check at the dollar store. A collection company called to say they had somehow torn the bottom numbers off the check so the bank couldn't find the account. They wanted $55 plus the $20 to 'not' put a lien on our house, put me on the no check cashing list, and generally make my life miserable. I refused to pay the $55. I called the dollar store to see if I could redeem the check or give them the account number so they could cash it. The manager knew nothing. The collection agency is still calling and hanging up.

We paid off our house at Washington Mutual. They bought the loan from our original lender who went bankrupt. Found out that due to the huge number of complaints against Washington Mutual, it has it's own hot line at the Federal Savings and Loan Agency--what a mess!. Anyway, they sent us an escrow statement that said they owed us 1304.27. They enclosed a check for 684.12. After five or six calls and a letter and repeatedly being on hold forever then hung up on, I finally got someone who barely spoke English and had no idea what I was talking about but finally agreed to send another statement?

I had an IRA at a bank. When it was due, they insisted they didn't have it. I made a zillion phone calls and sent a dozen letters with documents. I finally wrote to the Federal Bank Examiners who called the bank up and the bank said they didn't have the IRA so they took their word for it and refused to do anything. I was livid. I told them they worked for ME. I contacted my Senator who went after them. With the Senator's help, I finally got the money for the IRA.

We have an investment account with Merrill Lynch and they held out several thousand dollars which they say went to the IRS. The IRS says it has no money for my SS# from them and ML has no idea why they sent it. Five or six calls later and being on hold forever, I'm still waiting for someone to return my call. The broker swears he knows nothing, but he calls constantly wanting to sell us some stock or other--As if)

We have an investment at Smith Barney and they're no better. Never can seem to figure out how much money we have and the taxes are always screwed up.

Hey, just got a call from Merrill Lynch. Now they say the money is at Social Security. I called them and they have nothing either. ML is closed for the day.

And that's just this month! I'm thinking if you have any money, the best thing to do is bury it in a coffe can in the back yard.

smile

[ April 06, 2006, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]