I must turn to the Bible when considering forgiveness. Colossians 3:13 says Forgive as the Lord forgave you. That makes me ask how does He forgive me? When does He forgive me? 1 John 1:9 says "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."

Since I believe the Bible is a blueprint for the way we should live our lives, it means that when a person commits an offense against us, THEY should ask for forgiveness (or at least be sorry) before they can be forgiven. Forgiveness is for people who are in relationship with each other. I do think you can put bad experiences and hurts behind you - letting it go.

I heard a true story of a young man bicyclist getting run down and killed by a drunk driver in France (he was American). The parents of the young man were in court and saw the drunk driver laughing and joking with his attorney. On the Christian radio program, the mother asked how if the driver had no remorse how could she forgive him? She was never going to see that man again. Of course she had to let it go and I'm sure the only way to do that would be with God's help.

Is there a difference between forgiving and letting go?

Daisygirl