Norma, you wrote: "May i ask,
what about laws that are very specific, but seems to be important only when it involves one's own people? When it is against the law in a nation to imprison someone without charge after a certain period of time, when it is illegal to use violence to get information from suspected individuals, why is it all right for the same nation to have certain government agencies do those things beyond their borders ? Why is it acceptable for those government agencies to take suspects, or assist in the taking of them and then transporting them to foreign soils where torture is used for whatever purpose, or where they will be held without any recourse to legal representation and fair trial?"

Just so I understand the values and beliefs behind what you are asking, do you mind if I probe a little deeper? (Feel free to ignore me! LOL!)

Is your concern with the inconsistency due to a value of being connected with every other human being on earth? That we are all one and related? I can see that the people who practice the inconsistency which you highlight as those who value winning (usually at any cost) as opposed to relating.

Or is it more that you believe that we can win more effectively if we practice peace (nonviolence) in all areas of government, both in or out of the country?

Or is it something I totally don't get yet? :--)))

Vi, Interesting information -- as always! Thanks! It is the problem with leaders -- good and bad. Someone does need to keep them in check and remind them that their worldview is not necessarily consistent with the people whom they govern. I think we do tend to let our leaders (from presidents of nations to presidents of corporations) get away with things if we believe they are following an intrinsic good or believe that we are undeserving, afraid or unable to criticize a leader.
The other thing that has changed from the time of Lincoln is the speed with which things happen.