The thing I have learned as a writer is to read between the lines of the promotions and don't plug in my own expectations.

"We send out press releases" is not the same as "people will be calling you".
"We set up interviews" is not the same as "you are going to have interviews that someone might actually hear."
"We set up book signings" is not the same as "Schedule it, and they will come to buy."

As writers we are confronted with tons of people who say their job is to promote our book. They never say their job is to sell our book. The truth is that most of these "promoters" have simply found a way to make money using our desire to be successful so that they can be successful!

Well, now that I sound totally disgruntled, let me go on to say that I'm not really! [Smile] But I have learned to think a little more clearly before I open my check book or hand over my credit card. Always ask yourself: is this something I need to pay someone else to do? We often assume that others have more contacts than we do, and sometimes they do. But --- I have found that the internet has allowed a lot of people who are not truly qualified to go into business and to promote themselves quite well.

There is a learning curve to being a writer beyond the written work itself just like in everything else we endeavor to do. Initially many of us [myself included] run out there thinking the world is as excited as we are. When our energy flags, we step back and begin to assess the situation. Forums like this are wonderful places to be when that happens. Actually I wish I had been here in the earlier stages. At least I wouldn't have felt alone in my anguish!

Forums like this are also about the only way to find information that you can put any stock in. At least you can question each other and share your concerns.

Feeling much better these days! [Big Grin]
Dannye