Eagle,
I wonder if your initial attack might have been related to antibiotics. At the time of my first mono attack, I had taken a lot of antibiotics for what they thought was strep. There are theories that mono may result from the toxims of fungus that over develop as a result of taking antibiotics. The theory is that antibiotics (which are also in meat) destroy the normal bacteria in your intestine to balance the fungus and other normal organisms thus there is an over growth of fungi, and other toxin producing organisms. Symptoms of fungal toxicosis include fatigue and depression.

My recurrent bouts of momo followed a course of antibiotics. I am beginning to wonder if they might have led to a fungal condition that led to mono. I was given a lot of antibiotics following my surgery in Dec. and was so exhausted and depressed. The pain didn't help either.

Some of the problems that led to my surgery began to develop following a supposed strep infection in 2003. As it turned out, I didn't have strep at all, but had breathed draino that burned my throat. After the antibiotics, I hurt all over, gained weight, became depressed, and was exhausted.

It's all just theory, but pro-biotics to combat fungal infections might help. I took them and am also attempting a low carb diet (carbs contribute to fungus development). Only this week I got enough energy to begin exercising again. I am slowly beginning to feel like myself.

It might be worth a try.

smile